WRT3200ACM and slow OpenVPN Client speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
zainag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:04    Post subject: WRT3200ACM and slow OpenVPN Client speeds Reply with quote
So I've been trying to set up this router with instructions followed from NordVPN but the best speeds that I'm getting seem to be no more than 70Mbps.

I tried using Speedtest.net and I was getting really odd results from 70Mbps to all the way up to 180Mbps (depending on the server I chose on Speedtest) - my ISP gives me 200/35 btw.

In any case I gave up on Speedtest.net and just fired up Steam to download a game from my library. The screen you see has the maximum DL rate at 22.5 MB/s which I achieved through the NordVPN server connected via the Windows 10 client that they provide. However the current speed of 8.5 is what I'm getting with the openvpn client running on the router.

As you can also see I'm running "top" on my router on the right hand side which shows CPU 0 pegged at only 29.1%. In my experience this has never exceeded 34%

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong here? I've tried 3 different NordVPN servers all of which give me my ISP speed or pretty close to it but the router is seriously disappointing me. I'm running BS v3.0-r31926 std (05/03/17).

Any feedback or experience is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:35    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM and slow OpenVPN Client speeds Reply with quote
zainag wrote:
So I've been trying to set up this router with instructions followed from NordVPN but the best speeds that I'm getting seem to be no more than 70Mbps.

I tried using Speedtest.net and I was getting really odd results from 70Mbps to all the way up to 180Mbps (depending on the server I chose on Speedtest) - my ISP gives me 200/35 btw.

In any case I gave up on Speedtest.net and just fired up Steam to download a game from my library. The screen you see has the maximum DL rate at 22.5 MB/s which I achieved through the NordVPN server connected via the Windows 10 client that they provide. However the current speed of 8.5 is what I'm getting with the openvpn client running on the router.

As you can also see I'm running "top" on my router on the right hand side which shows CPU 0 pegged at only 29.1%. In my experience this has never exceeded 34%

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong here? I've tried 3 different NordVPN servers all of which give me my ISP speed or pretty close to it but the router is seriously disappointing me. I'm running BS v3.0-r31926 std (05/03/17).

Any feedback or experience is much appreciated.

Thanks

You cut of the most important part in top, the screenshot is useless.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 0:23    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM and slow OpenVPN Client speeds Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
You cut of the most important part in top, the screenshot is useless.

Sure which part is that?
zainag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually nevermind. I did some more research and learned that the the 3200ACM will not do more than 80-90 Mbps with the secure settings advised by NordVPN etc.

Also learned that Speedtest.net tests are pretty inaccurate (overstated) vs actual download speeds.

So with all of that said, between the radio issues and lack of a stable firmware and poor ovpn speeds this router is going back to Linksys. Can't say I'm unhappy to see it go.

Hopefully someday Router manufacturers will include Ovpn clients in their routers as default with beefy cpus and the OpenVPN will move to a multi threaded model.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
zainag wrote:
Actually nevermind. I did some more research and learned that the the 3200ACM will not do more than 80-90 Mbps with the secure settings advised by NordVPN etc.

Also learned that Speedtest.net tests are pretty inaccurate (overstated) vs actual download speeds.

So with all of that said, between the radio issues and lack of a stable firmware and poor ovpn speeds this router is going back to Linksys. Can't say I'm unhappy to see it go.

Hopefully someday Router manufacturers will include Ovpn clients in their routers as default with beefy cpus and the OpenVPN will move to a multi threaded model.

Netgear R9000 is the fastest router right now it does 150Mbps with AES-256 through openvpn tunnel.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
zainag wrote:

Netgear R9000 is the fastest router right now it does 150Mbps with AES-256 through openvpn tunnel.

In my opinion a regular computer is better for VPN stuff.

I like routers to do what they're built for, which is routing.

But yes, I understand people want fancy features like vpn in a router, but then, you have to pay the price as well. Razz
zainag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fr3DBr wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
zainag wrote:

But yes, I understand people want fancy features like vpn in a router, but then, you have to pay the price as well. Razz

Agreed for $450 which is the going rate for an R9000 I can build myself a dedicated machine to handle VPN traffic.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fr3DBr wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
zainag wrote:

I prefer to have basic stuff that is responsible for connectivity in one device, since I want this stuff to be on 24h. It is also much easier to just manage one device then one for each task and less things to breakdown.

The 150mbps do not even scratch the R9000 with it's 4 cores, unfortunately openvpn is not multithreaded.

I have not done any throughput tests with softether vpn, maybe it performs better.

After all, the wifi on the R9000 works unlike the WRTs. Throughput on 5G between R9000 (AP) and R7800(Client) is 1Gbps measured with iperf. It just destroys the marvel radio and is fully stable.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Fr3DBr wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
zainag wrote:

I prefer to have basic stuff that is responsible for connectivity in one device, since I want this stuff to be on 24h. It is also much easier to just manage one device then one for each task and less things to breakdown.

The 150mbps do not even scratch the R9000 with it's 4 cores, unfortunately openvpn is not multithreaded.

I have not done any throughput tests with softether vpn, maybe it performs better.

After all, the wifi on the R9000 works unlike the WRTs. Throughput on 5G between R9000 (AP) and R7800(Client) is 1Gbps measured with iperf. It just destroys the marvel radio and is fully stable.

Yeah, it's understandable of course, but once WRT3200 gets stable (and it is indeed going towards this path), for the 89.99 I've paid for it, it'll be great. Very Happy
Saijin_Naib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fr3DBr wrote:

Yeah, it's understandable of course, but once WRT3200 gets stable (and it is indeed going towards this path), for the 89.99 I've paid for it, it'll be great. Very Happy

$50 for me new, I lucked out.

I also got incredibly lucky that the Marvell chipset gives out the best USB-attached storage performance, which is what is most important to me in my home environment.

I too hope the driver gets more stable and the rest of the potential of the WRT3200ACM gets unlocked soon. I won't complain about better performance, though if it doesn't I'll just trade it in for the eventual WRT32X that's coming.
Fr3DBr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saijin_Naib wrote:
Fr3DBr wrote:

$50 for me new, I lucked out.

I also got incredibly lucky that the Marvell chipset gives out the best USB-attached storage performance, which is what is most important to me in my home environment.

I too hope the driver gets more stable and the rest of the potential of the WRT3200ACM gets unlocked soon. I won't complain about better performance, though if it doesn't I'll just trade it in for the eventual WRT32X that's coming.

WRT32X is basically 3200 w/ a gaming firmware. Razz
Saijin_Naib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fr3DBr wrote:

Is it confirmed that it is the exact same board? I was under the impression that it might contain a different chipset than the 3200ACM.
Fr3DBr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saijin_Naib wrote:
Fr3DBr wrote:

Is it confirmed that it is the exact same board? I was under the impression that it might contain a different chipset than the 3200ACM.

I've heard it is the same. But well, since it's new, they might improve something compared to 3200 V1 I guess.
Saijin_Naib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fr3DBr wrote:

I've heard it is the same. But well, since it's new, they might improve something compared to 3200 V1 I guess.

I'd be impressed if they could make it worse. Twisted Evil
nasinec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
zainag wrote:

I wonder how big is the reduction in speed when going from AES-128 to AES-256. This is the latest result for my WRT3200ACM with AES-128 on latest BS build (5G works now. Third interface is still dead.) My dl speed without vpn is around 230Mbps.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: