Random Restarts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 13:53    Post subject: Random Restarts Reply with quote
I have the WRT1900 AC V2 and before I flashed it from it's stock firmware it was doing some random resets. just when ever it feels like it, it would power down and power back up... I have tried using a UPS, Surge Protector, Directly to the outlet, None of that makes any difference. I have now Flashed DD-WRT onto it and I do like it much more then the stock firmware, but this restarting issue is not stopping. seams to be a little worst now. Is this a known issue, or just me? I only have the Basics set up in the router for semi-simple use. I just needed more port rules then the stock firmware would allow. as well as SNMP for Network monitoring. The router is connected to a Netgear CM1000 which is not power cycling and they are powered into the same strip. just in case that bit of information is of any use.
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r28788 std (01/13/16)
Router NameDD-WRT
Router ModelLinksys WRT 1900ACv2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r28788 std (01/13/16)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.18.25 #59 SMP Mon Jan 11 11:48:34 CET 2016 armv7l

Or, is there a better router that i can and put DD-WRT on and just get stable working internet, with the ability to manage my port rules and SNMP as a need.

I do have a ASUS AC1900 that I am using as an AP that I could flash, but I would rather still have that as an AP due to the size of my home and where it is located, is the best spot to have complete coverage in my home.

Thanks for any help I can get.
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get a newer build, ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:10    Post subject: beta version Reply with quote
With flashing a beta version on it, I should use the webflash since it already has DD-WRT correct? also, will that reset a of my settings or will they all stay in place so i don't have to go through all of that again.
Also have you tried the new R31924 version yet?
thank you for your hep
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:44    Post subject: Re: beta version Reply with quote
1. If you don't care if you have a stock Linksys partition, use the webflash file, if you do care read the thread linked in my signature. And they are all betas including the one you are currently running.

2. I believe it should move settings (never used a webflash file yet, I like to keep the stock), but it is always useful to have a backup of them (Under Administration, Backup) just in case.

3. Not yet, running 31899, and mine is a V1 not a V2.

Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
WWTK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
My v2 only restarts if I screw something up, I'm running the latest beta. There are process monitors built into the system and if a key process dies the router seems to restart. This is based solely on my observations.

That being said, this is the finickiest router I have ever owned. I have several other routers in the house and none of them give me the kind of issues this one does. They all have dd-wrt on them.
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 21:49    Post subject: yes Reply with quote
I agreee this has been the most PAIN IN THE A$$ router i have ever owned and i want to take it to the range with me next time i go..... is just the 1900 like this? is the 3200 more stable?
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
also i just flashed the latest version to see if this helps.
Router ModelLinksys WRT1900ACv2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.18.51 #131 SMP Sun Apr 30 20:34:24 CEST 2017 armv7l

I have nothing fancy set in this router in any way. It just will not stay up. the last 4 nights i wake up to no internet. i have to go down to the office and when just looking at the router it looks fat dumb and happy, but it's not, also i can't log into the thing, 90% of my IOF is all static inside my home for ports etc. but even if i take my static out to just see what is going on, it's like the router is offline, even though the lights are on and flashing and looking happy.

i guess we see if the new firmware will work. if not, should i buy the 3200 or is there something better? Just need a good router, don't need wireless I use an AP in a more central spot. but the through puts of all the vpn/firewall routers would not handle that, so i am using this 1900. but yeah, I notice your sig says you have a 3200 running DD-WRT does it have any issues with just not working, or restarting?
bytchslappa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like the router is just busted - it should not reboot huge amounts or just loose connection - the router should be up for months without issue. If the current firmware version does not fix the issue - time to go shopping if its out of warranty..

Have no idea on for a replacement as my current WRT1900AV v1 (had since launch) runs without issue (ie currently only gets rebooted for new firmware which i do every second/third release atm) - thus no plans to replace..
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
well there is a difference already. it's just locking up now and not rebooting......
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bytchslappa wrote:
Sounds like the router is just busted - it should not reboot huge amounts or just loose connection - the router should be up for months without issue. If the current firmware version does not fix the issue - time to go shopping if its out of warranty..

Have no idea on for a replacement as my current WRT1900AV v1 (had since launch) runs without issue (ie currently only gets rebooted for new firmware which i do every second/third release atm) - thus no plans to replace..

I might have just found the issue. I grabbed my asus i was using for an AP and was going to switch back to that. I plugged it in and connected my pc to it to set it up, first i noticed it wasn't coming on. Them when it did my computer started to spas out. Then i noticed a cat bit the freaking power cord. I am assuming it was shorting out and possibly sending power back into the Ethernet ports. It was behind a 8 port switch but i guess that didn't stop the issue. I have the AP completely disconnected and turned on the rally Crappy wifi on the 1900 and its been up for 55 min. Before it was only lasting less then 10 min. I really hope that was the issue....

Anyone know the optimal tx power setting in the 1900 to try to get it to normal ranges? Because it was defaulted to 30 Dbm and i put it at 40Dbm which helps get it to my living room but the 2.4 is badly pulling 10Mbps in the same room. The 5g is pulling full speed 500/50 but in the living room about 110/30. Not sure how much i can tune that and be safe.
WWTK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now thats downright funny. My cat ate it.....

Anyways I'm not sure if you've seen this but linksys says:

Recommended for multi-story environments:
Front antennas are in upward position while rear antennas are angled 45° outwards (away from the router)
or
Rear antennas are in upward position while front antennas are angled 45° outwards (away from the router)

Once working, I've not had major issues with my router but I have always been underwhelmed by it. It just seems to be a pain to get it all set up right. firmware flashing is a nightmare, damn good thing it has 2 banks.

My experiences are somewhat unique though because all my routers are in client bridge mode connecting to the supplied cable modem/router. I have dd-wrt on all of the other ones with no issues.

I have the main router in the center of the house and client routers positioned throughout the house to provide maximum signal everywhere and 5ghz via wired connection to the local router for some devices (ps4 and tvs) that can't do 5ghz. I've never had to mess with the signal strength its always been good and I have the 2.4ghz radios disabled. The couple laptops i had that were 2.4 only i got some usb wifi adapters from amazon for 10 bucks that work great.

As a side note, I just installed openwrt on the 1900acs today. Setup is way more complicated but in the end the router is working better than it ever has. It took me all day to get it all set right but it was worth it for this pita router. No more routed problems and performance is awesome so far.

the routers I have are
wrt1200ac
wrt1900acsv2
r8000
tew-818DRU
gl-mt300a
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am thinking the ASUS with its power being shorted, well technically jumping in the cable, I think it was creating a little broadcast storm. because when i plugged it into my PC, before i realized the cat chew issue, it made my PC freak out even. so yeah.

The Wifi On the 1900 for me is very weak. and I think I need to tweak something on the 2.4G more. the 2.4g is only passing about 10-12Mbps in the same room. the 5g is passing full speeds, but goes about 50 feet.... I tried to Up the dBm as noted in my last comment but, when going to the status it is not going up to 40dBm, only 23dBm but the 2.4G is at 30dBm. but that is not what i set it to do. I attached a couple of images tell me if i am doing something wrong please.
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
had to add one more immage so i needed to add another post.
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to mention I did get that info from Linksys when i called them to complain about how bad it was, and they told me to set the antennas that way. then they though i had a bad power supply so they replaced it entirely and that's how i ended up with a V2. but it did not make any difference.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why not set the mode to N only, select a channel (1,6,11), mode 20MHz (unless you have no one around you, then use 40), use WPA2 as security?
You tend to slow down wireless with bad configurations.
And by the way, the max TX power is regulated by the wireless firmware, so as to not break the rules.

Same with the 5G settings, lower channels lower TX power. Try N/AC, 80 MHz, Channel 149 or 161 with UU or LL (respectively) extension channels.

Spectrum - 1000/50
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: