Linksys E1200v2 - few questions from a WRT newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 14:58    Post subject: Linksys E1200v2 - few questions from a WRT newbie Reply with quote
Hello, since my previous ADSL router died recently, I'll be soon purchasing a new router. I don't have that much to spend (~$50 total for a router and an ADSL modem). I was recommended a Linksys E1200v2, and since it's not a router with a modem integrated into it, I could finally try out how would DD-WRT work out on my network, but I have a few questions.

First off, from what I read in the forums, people usually describe E1200 as "an entry level router which can struggle on modern connections". I'd assume "modern = fast", but my 10 Mbit/s (could eventually be 20 at some point) connection doesn't really count as either, so do you think it will suffice for a home network? I plan on having 2 PCs, 2 laptops and a satellite receiver connected to it on "average", and an extra computer + two smartphones at its "peak".

Second thing - I read about how problematic the wireless connection on a DD-WRT powered E1200 can be, mostly talking about its transfer speeds. Is it really that bad? How much of it is still relevant? It shouldn't struggle to spread a 10 Mbit/s connection across up to 3 clients, should it? I found out about the antenna power being set incorrectly by DD-WRT, is there anything else I can do to improve the transfer speeds and maybe range of the wireless network?

And last thing, about the installation of DD-WRT and the choice of DD-WRT version. Referring directly to the hardware-specific instructions:

• This guide suggests that a factory reset is enough, but I assume doing a 30/30/30 reset is still a way to make sure the NVRAM data doesn't stand in the way? I assume I should do it not only before flashing, but also after? And when exactly is "after flashing", I guess after the DD-WRT web panel becomes accessible and two minutes have passed?
  • Should I just flash the versions mentioned in the instructions and be done with it, or is there a better build to go with? Is there any other functionality which doesn't work properly on an E1200v2 (except the VPN support)?
  • If the guide doesn't mention any additional steps after installing the mini version and before flashing the mega one, I assume I don't have to go through resetting anything?

I appreciate all the support Smile
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
That router works best with new K3.x builds of this year if you don't have WAN connection over 50 Mbps.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1076953#1076953

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/04-24-2017-r31899/broadcom_K3X/

Probably work just fine w/newest 31924 I just haven't had time to play with it.
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
That router works best with new K3.x builds of this year if you don't have WAN connection over 50 Mbps.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1076953#1076953

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/04-24-2017-r31899/broadcom_K3X/

Probably work just fine w/newest 31924 I just haven't had time to play with it.

I would test the newest build but I won't probably be able to test it extensively in terms of functionality, so I'll take your recommendation and install r31899, thank you Mr. Green
If you have a while, can you elaborate on other questions? Anyone? Smile
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
kamild1996 wrote:

Alrighthen -- easiest way to install if you currently have linksys firmware -- See >>> ' E1200v2 '
... and don't say the wiki says this and the wiki says that --- it was written last year

EDIT:
and NO, don't do a 30/30/30 reset.
When you reset it using button / erase nvram / webif factory defaults .. you may not be able to access via LAN ports.
Just unplug it for 30 seconds -- should be good to go.
---
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1079551#1079551
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
kamild1996 wrote:

Alrighthen -- easiest way to install if you currently have linksys firmware -- See >>> ' E1200v2 '
... and don't say the wiki says this and the wiki says that --- it was written last year

EDIT:
When you reset it using button / erase nvram / webif factory defaults .. you may not be able to access via LAN ports.
---

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about when reading all these threads, including the "peacock thread" which is apparently over 8 years old. I wonder what amount of information in this thread is still relevant? Are CFE backups still important?
I'll follow your instructions, thank you again for the help. I'm most certainly going to purchase a second hand router, so if it has any settings in it (or was reset beforehand by the owner), it shouldn't produce any issues?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kamild1996 wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
kamild1996 wrote:

EDIT:
---

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about when reading all these threads, including the "peacock thread" which is apparently over 8 years old. I wonder what amount of information in this thread is still relevant? Are CFE backups still important?
I'll follow your instructions, thank you again for the help. I'm most certainly going to purchase a second hand router, so if it has any settings in it (or was reset beforehand by the owner), it shouldn't produce any issues?

Whatever was on it before will be wiped out.
Bit of advice:
Any router you aquire you should make sure it is in proper working order using its stock firmware --- all ports work, wifi is good....
Remember the E1200v2 is a very lowend router compared to most these days but it will make a good gateway for several clients.. wired & wireless.
With dd-wrt you can also use it as openVPN server or client but don't expect rates over 8 Mbps doing that.
Good thing is they are cheap Smile
They also run Shibby Tomato firmware very well.
If you just want a cheap router to play with that will do all these things I would suggest the E2500v1 ....pretty much unbreakable and no problems installing dd-wrt at all....
good luck
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

Whatever was on it before will be wiped out.
Bit of advice:
Any router you aquire you should make sure it is in proper working order using its stock firmware --- all ports work, wifi is good....
Remember the E1200v2 is a very lowend router compared to most these days but it will make a good gateway for several clients.. wired & wireless.
With dd-wrt you can also use it as openVPN server or client but don't expect rates over 8 Mbps doing that.
Good thing is they are cheap Smile
They also run Shibby Tomato firmware very well.
If you just want a cheap router to play with that will do all these things I would suggest the E2500v1 ....pretty much unbreakable and no problems installing dd-wrt at all....
good luck

I have no plans on VPNs, and I'll check the ports and Wi-Fi, although the owner claims it's 100% working.
Also I wish you had told me earlier (or rather - I wish I had asked you earlier Razz), because I've already ordered an E1200v2 online (someone from /r/homenetworking recommended it to me; I've had to make a quick decision so I can return my ASUS router in time, which I bought right after my TP-Link broke). I thought E2500 would be out of my price range, but looks like I could get one just for $5. Oh well, if E1200 produces issues, I'll figure sth out to get the E2500...
And yeah I was thinking about Tomato (the Victek/RAF one). I was told Tomato tends to be more stable. It's a tough choice really, I'll have to try both Rolling Eyes
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for writing one post after another, but I have an another question for you.
I tested Tomato for a few days, and because of a very specific issue with the bandwidth limiter, I decided to give dd-wrt a try. From what I understand, I need to actually roll back to stock first, then flash dd-wrt? Or can I just tick "After flashing, erase all data in NVRAM memory" in Tomato and flash dd-wrt straight in?
Wiki suggests some extensive 30/30/30 resetting, and since it's probably outdated, I'd more rather ask you if it can be avoided. Besides, what's the difference between doing a 30/30/30 and erasing NVRAM manually?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kamild1996 wrote:
Sorry for writing one post after another, but I have an another question for you.
I tested Tomato for a few days, and because of a very specific issue with the bandwidth limiter, I decided to give dd-wrt a try. From what I understand, I need to actually roll back to stock first, then flash dd-wrt? Or can I just tick "After flashing, erase all data in NVRAM memory" in Tomato and flash dd-wrt straight in?
Wiki suggests some extensive 30/30/30 resetting, and since it's probably outdated, I'd more rather ask you if it can be avoided. Besides, what's the difference between doing a 30/30/30 and erasing NVRAM manually?

It would be best to go back to linksys stock firmware.
Make sure it is fully booted then do a button reset.
With stock firmware on it follow what I posted earlier.
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

Make sure it is fully booted then do a button reset.

And that's it? Full boot, normal reset via button, wait for it to reboot completely and just flash Linksys firmware? Should I do anything after flashing it?

mrjcd wrote:

Yep, your method worked fine when I was installing dd-wrt first, that's what I was planning to do Smile
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
after you install the stock firmware and unit fully boots then do a button reset
kamild1996
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will do, thank you a lot for all the previous help Smile I wish the wiki was updated with your instructions instead, so most people wouldn't have to do those convoluted procedures...
I'll describe my experience with E1200v2 and dd-wrt after I use it for a few days, just for anyone who's looking for some recent information on how this router works out these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: