DNS not passing through for unknown subdomains

schworak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 15:39    Post subject: DNS not passing through for unknown subdomains Reply with quote
I have configured the router so local users get the local IP address of several servers. Each has its own subdomain.

This part works great. While in the building our mobile divices directly connect to the servers on the local network. When on the outside they use the internet IP addresses because external DNSs are queried.

The problem is, we have a couple servers on the outside that cannot be reached now when we are inside the network!!!

Inside or outside I would expect this...

#> nslookup extbox1.mydomain.com
Address: 216.58.216.142

But what I get is this...

When outside of our network:

Address: 216.58.216.142

When inside of our network:

Address: 192.168.1.99

I believe this is because we have a DNS entry of "mydomain.com" (no subdomain) pointing to the IP 192.168.1.99 so it appears that any nslookup to any subdomain not specifically listed in the DNS falls back to that IP. How can I get it to fall through to the outside world's DNS when the subdomain is unknown?

We need this because some of our external domains are dynamic yet some of our apps must access this specific box using the base domain name so we can't just remove that entry. (removing the entry does get us the correct IP which is why I am sure this entry is the cause of our pain)

Thanks for any help you can offer...
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: