ASUS RT-AC3200 firmware removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
protongeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 22:56    Post subject: ASUS RT-AC3200 firmware removal Reply with quote
Hi ,

I currently have a ASUS RT-AC3200 and would like to remove ddrwt and install the factory image. I have tried many different methods to remove ddwrt including ASUS firmware restoration utility but unfortunately it says my router is not in rescue mode even though it is. I purchased a USB to ttl cable and can connect to the cli. I attempted using tftp to also connect to my tftp server from the cli of the router which also failed even though both devices are on the same vlan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you would have more help in the Broadcom forum, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1
Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set a countinous ping on the router. Unplug it, hold the reset button in while plugging the power back in. When the ping responds with ttl-100 you can let go of the reset button.
Then use tftp32 by jourin to upload yet he firmware.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Malachi,

Thanks for the reply but it seems you might have left a lot more instruction which is needed in order to use tftp. I googled tftp by jourin and come up empty. A URL would be nice. Next I have a tftp program which I uses all the time for flashing routers and switches. If there are commands you need to input from the connected PC or the router then that would be nice. The router tries to broadcast for a TFTP device when I boot it up in rescue mode but never finds the PC. The PC and router can both ping each other as they are in the same vlan 192.168.1.0. I will try setting it to use the other boot partition. I will let you guys know whether this works or not.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry. Here is a link for the download http://download.cnet.com/Tftpd32/3000-2085_4-10114225.html
Set your computer network to 192.168.1.9, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1.

Sorry for not giving the URL. If you are in the us and want to pay for shipping both ways I can do it. The asus rt-ac3200 has only 1 boot partition.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Malachi,

I think your still leaving some steps out. At what point during the boot process do you use TFTP to transfer the .trx image over to the single partition ? Also is there any prep I need to perform on the single partition ? Once the file is on the partition how does the router know to boot off of that image ?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You tftp the firmware when the router is in recovery mode. Either when you see ttl=100 or when the cfe mini webserver comes up at 192.168.1.1.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Milachi,

Thank you for the info. However I am still running into the TFTP server not connecting using your process. See my config below:

PC IP 192.168.1.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
GTWY: 192.168.1.1
PC plugged into port 1 of the ASUS routers LAN interfaces.
Router IP: 192.168.1.1

PC can ping router IP.
Program used for TFTP solarwinds.
PC firewall is off.
netstat -a yields PC is listening on UDP port 69 ( TFTP )
Scanning the PC for the TFTP service from another system shows TFTP is listening and accepting connections.

I also attempted another way to get TFTP working from the CFE command prompt but still the router will not connect to the PC which has TFTP running. See URL below :
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery#Erase_Nvram
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forget that link. Unplug the router. Hold the reset button in while plugging the power in. Keep holding the reset button in till the power led flashes. The router should now be in recovery mode, ping response should be ttl=100.
Use tftpd32 http://www.jounin.net/tftpd32_gifts.html or the asus restoration tool or the cfe mini webserver.
Or send it to me and I'll do it.

Navigation

Jump to: