SSH tunnel works for putty text traffic, but not VNC traffic

cjnaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:56    Post subject: SSH tunnel works for putty text traffic, but not VNC traffic Reply with quote
I've been reading for several hours now. I think my problem is isolated to dd-wrt. Within my LAN I can ssh from Windows putty directly to my linux server, and I can also run VNCviewer over that SSH connection. However, when I SSH to the router WAN IP the putty SSH text connection works (I'm port forwarding the port I'm using for SSH access to the LAN-side linux server), but the VNC over SSH traffic is refused with VNCviewer saying "The connection closed unexpectedly." TightVNC says something about a graceful exit.

I see a lot of discussion about setting up the SSH connection to dd-wrt, and then hopping to machines on the LAN, which seems like more work than should be necessary. On the Centos 7 server I've tried SE permissive and firewall off, with no joy.

If my simple port forward of the SSH traffic wont work for VNC traffic, can someone explain why, please? I would assume that through the SSH tunnel from my external box through the dd-wrt port forward to the LAN-side server that dd-wrt couldn't know that there is VNC traffic in the tunnel. Bad assumption?

thx,
cjn
Sponsor
cjnaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I stumbled into the solution. For the Putty SSH session/setup that points to the router WAN address I set the tunnel Source port to 5901 and the Destination port to localhost:5901.

My read of the putty setup documentation is that the Destination port IP should match the main Session screen Host Name IP address. With this setup I get the response in the OP.

Hopefully this is helpful to others.
cjn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: