Total Traffic graph data include tcp/ip/pppoe headers ?

sigmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 17:13    Post subject: Total Traffic graph data include tcp/ip/pppoe headers ? Reply with quote
Hi there!

Uruguayan (monopolic) Internet access company is starting to cap data traffic to every data plan they offer (including those that were left uncapped in the past), so they created a web interface for us users watch our current data up/down usage.

Whenever we reach the limit, as is usual in other countries, they will lower the available bandwidth into only about 10%.

So I am inspecting my monthly traffic usage on their webpage, and it says 316,7Gb.

When I get into my DD-WRT (latest Jun 1st 2017 firmware) on my TP-Link Archer C9 router, and watch the total traffic (STATUS - WAN) graph, It adds up to 294,85 Gb.

Since they are making us to pay for restoring full speed until the end of each month, each gb "counts" for us.

When I told them about this discrepancy, they inmediately asked me if the router's firmware took into account tcp / ip / pppoe headers on that graph, or it only added up the payload data in each packet sent or received.

Does anyone know the answer to this question ?

Regards,

Enrique
Sponsor
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 16:21    Post subject: Re: Total Traffic graph data include tcp/ip/pppoe headers ? Reply with quote
sigmax wrote:
Hi there!

Uruguayan (monopolic) Internet access company is starting to cap data traffic to every data plan they offer (including those that were left uncapped in the past), so they created a web interface for us users watch our current data up/down usage.

Whenever we reach the limit, as is usual in other countries, they will lower the available bandwidth into only about 10%.

So I am inspecting my monthly traffic usage on their webpage, and it says 316,7Gb.

When I get into my DD-WRT (latest Jun 1st 2017 firmware) on my TP-Link Archer C9 router, and watch the total traffic (STATUS - WAN) graph, It adds up to 294,85 Gb.

Since they are making us to pay for restoring full speed until the end of each month, each gb "counts" for us.

When I told them about this discrepancy, they inmediately asked me if the router's firmware took into account tcp / ip / pppoe headers on that graph, or it only added up the payload data in each packet sent or received.

Does anyone know the answer to this question ?

Regards,

Enrique

Take a look at YAMon... it captures usage on a per device basis. I've been using it for 4+ years and the YAMon totals are very consistent with what my ISP reports (my ISP is generally less than 5% higher than YAMon).

Full disclosure, I also wrote YAMon... in part because I did not trust the numbers that my ISP was reporting. There is a feature that allows you to [semi-manually] import your ISP results so that you can see their totals in the YAMon reports.

Let me know if this helps.
sigmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! I am looking forward on getting YAMon 3.3.0 up and running. Unfortunately I am having some troubles with it. I just posted about it on the large (101 pages!) thread about YAMon Smile

Hopefully I can get it working!

Regards,

Enrique
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
sigmax wrote:
Thank you! I am looking forward on getting YAMon 3.3.0 up and running. Unfortunately I am having some troubles with it. I just posted about it on the large (101 pages!) thread about YAMon Smile

Hopefully I can get it working!

Regards,

Enrique
let me know if I can help.

(BTW, the YAMon thread has 102 pages now!)

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: