Multiple DNS resolver config problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kallsop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 0:07    Post subject: Multiple DNS resolver config problem Reply with quote
R7000. Set up a 5 DNS resolver config, dnscrypt and dnssec, here are the DNSmasq options:

Code:

no-resolv
all-servers
server=127.0.0.1#30
server=127.0.0.2#30
server=127.0.0.3#30
server=127.0.0.4#30
server=127.0.0.5#30
server=/us.pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8
server=/us.pool.ntp.org/8.8.4.4
proxy-dnssec
local=/local/
expand-hosts

The 5 resolvers were chosen and configured in the starup script.

Code:

dnscrypt-proxy -S -a 127.0.0.1:30 -R dnscrypt.org-fr -L /etc/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv -d > /dev/null 2>&1 ; dnscrypt-proxy -S -a 127.0.0.2:30 -R d0wn-se-ns1 -L /etc/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv -d > /dev/null 2>&1 ; dnscrypt-proxy -S -a 127.0.0.3:30 -R ipredator -L /etc/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv -d > /dev/null 2>&1 ; dnscrypt-proxy -S -a 127.0.0.4:30 -R d0wn-fr-ns2 -L /etc/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv -d > /dev/null 2>&1 ; dnscrypt-proxy -S -a 127.0.0.5:30 -R d0wn-is-ns1 -L /etc/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv -d > /dev/null 2>&1

Today I couldn't browse the internet. Remote VNC etc. all worked fine, suggesting a DNS problem. All 5 dns resolvers showed up in 'top'. Just on a hunch, I killed the dns server at the top of the 'top' list, and bam, now all browsing is good.

So here's the problem. If the fastest dns resolver is out to lunch, not dead but returning garbage, you are screwed, all the multiple redundancy isn't doing anything. Are there DNSmasq or dnscrypt-proxy options to make this work? The misbehaving resolver was d0wn-is-ns1. After that dnscrypt-proxy task was killed, web browsing came back to life.
Sponsor
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
all-servers option http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html
kallsop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I will give that a try.
kallsop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Deleted 'all-servers' and rebooted. All 5 dns resolvers started. Unable to browse web sites. Killed only the dnscrypt-proxy that is using d0wn-is-ns1, the other 4 resolvers are still running. Web browsing ok now.

With or without 'all-servers', seems that DNSmasq is not able to determine that d0wn-is-ns1 is returning junk, and it's the fastest resolver.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
i run multiple DNSCrypt on R7800 31900 and its working well...so far
i haven't tried on the new versions but as far as i know
Kong was talking about interference with DDWRT time servers,
so he recommended to exclude those lines from DNSMasq config...
i removed them and its still working well for me....
Make sure you got the correct DNSCrypt addresses in their correct spelling Wink

also to use all-servers you'd need to disable DNSCrypt from GUI

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kallsop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have 'Encrypt DNS' disabled in GUI. This is the dnsmasq.conf file, removed a bunch of static assignments to keep the code short:

Code:

interface=br0,wl0.1
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
strict-order
domain=local
dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
dhcp-lease-max=135
dhcp-option=br0,3,192.168.0.1
dhcp-option=wl0.1,3,192.168.1.1
dhcp-authoritative
dhcp-range=br0,192.168.0.176,192.168.0.223,255.255.255.0,1440
dhcp-range=wl0.1,192.168.1.128,192.168.1.191,255.255.255.0,600
dhcp-host=00:01:02:03:04:05,Obi202,192.168.0.112,1440
stop-dns-rebind
no-resolv
server=127.0.0.1#30
server=127.0.0.2#30
server=127.0.0.3#30
server=127.0.0.4#30
server=127.0.0.5#30
proxy-dnssec
local=/local/
expand-hosts
r6300v2usr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
kallsop wrote:
With or without 'all-servers', seems that DNSmasq is not able to determine that d0wn-is-ns1 is returning junk, and it's the fastest resolver.

I observed the same issue when trying dnscrypt on four servers with DNSSEC enabled in dnsmasq:
    dnscrypt.eu-nl, dnscrypt.nl-ns0, d0wn-de-ns2, d0wn-de-ns1

Even all four resolvers seem to offer DNSSEC (according the dnscrypt-resolvers.csv file) they do not behave the same:
The two dnscrypt server (and other dnscrypt I tried) seem to operate correctly when DNSSEC is enabled in dnsmasq. I could operate them for several days without failures (URL are not resolved). On the other hand these servers seem sometimes down, so the availability is not perfect.
The d0wn servers behave strange with enabled DNSSEC in dnsmasq (at least what I observed), several URL are not resolved after several minutes operating (strange: all .org domains fail first). Nevertheless these server are quite fast. But together with other servers the results are more confusing (with DNSSEC).

So I came to the conclusion to disable DNSSEC. First observation is an increase in speed and reliability: My dns installation on dd-wrt router (two independent dnsmasq instances for normal and guest wifi, one instance using four dnscrypt resolver as explained above, the guest wifi uses dnscrypt opendns/cisco with content/adult filtering for my guests/kids Cool) seems to work correctly without issues for several weeks now. Even if one of the two dnscrypt.nl server are sometimes not available, slow or report errors.

Now whats even more interesting from my point of view:
When trying to test DNSSEC I expected a failed result, but on the test page on https://verteiltesysteme.net/ the test is passed! When using opendns as resolver the test is failed as expected. This result is according the DNSSEC field in the dnscrypt-resolve.csv file.
When using Googles dns-server (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as resolver on my linux desktop (without DD-WRT dns functionality, without dnsmasq, without dnscrypt and without DNSSEC) the test is passed as well.

As I do not understand the process of DNSSEC I can only assume: Maybe the used resolvers validate the DNS record correctly against their source/resolvers they are using and detect wrong results. That could be the reason why the above test is passed. If that would be true in my opinion a further validation of dnsmasq on my router would not be required as the correctly validated dns records are send encrypted from the resolver to my router via dnscrypt. For me that's save enough.

Here I really would appreciate help in understanding DNSSEC: I think my assumptions about DNSSEC are too optimistic: Other test pages say DNSSEC functionality is not installed: https://internet.nl. But the Google dns-server passes this test!

Nevertheless for me DNSCRYPT, reliabilty and speed is more important then DNSSEC, so can live with disabled DNSSEC in dnsmasq. Except more fast and reliable dnscrypt-resolver would be available with stable DNSSEC.

And I do not think that this is an issue of DD-WRT or dnscrypt.
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some dns resolvers such as google will do dnssec validation before replying. other dns resolvers will just forward the dnssec records leaving dnssec validation to the originating client.

the only way to know what is actually going on is manually verify the replies using dig.

when i first tested dnssec validation via dnscrypt the server i queried was actually forwarding dns queries to google. you can test which dns resolvers are being used by running dnsleaktest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: