Maximum EIRP for DIR-825?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Justice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:49    Post subject: Maximum EIRP for DIR-825? Reply with quote
Under the Canadian regulatory domain, the maximum allowable TX power is something like 30 or 36dbm iirc.

According to this page on the DIR-825: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-825 the maximum TX power is 19dbm, which appears to be hardware limited.

From what I've been reading the effective total power (EIRP) is calculated by adding the TX power and antenna gain together. The router will be limited to the lower of the regulatory domain or hardware limitations.

My question is since the Canada EIRP limit is way higher than 19dbm and the DIR-825 maximum TX power is 19dbm, will setting the antenna gain to 2dbi translate into an effective power of 21dbm or would it be 17dbm TX power and 2dbi antenna gain?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
gain in settings does nothing, u want to change actual antenna gain, change the actual antennas, the gain setting is just supposed to limit tx power in the event the user sets something higher than what the regulatory domain supports, but then anyway the reg domain will cap at it's limit anyway, its a pointless setting just leave it 0 & ignore it.

and previously eeproms were being read incorrectly resulting in tx powers getting cut short, set canada as reg domain, set tx power to 30 for both radios, for 5ghz use ch 149-161, whatever the reported max is for each radio is the actual limit. i dont have one anymore so i can try it and see what its limit is so i cant update the wiki.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Justice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, I have done the above and the maximum TX power on ath0 is 19dBm and the maximum TX power on ath1 is 17dBm.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
then theres no change to it and thats just the limit of that router

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: