WHR-300HP2D firmware update issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
oweiler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 22:06    Post subject: WHR-300HP2D firmware update issues Reply with quote
I'm having an issue with my WHR-300HP2D moving from the buffalo supplied dd-wrt, (r30354) to something I can get from dd-wrt. I've tried a few from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas (r32170, r27435, r28397, r24461, r25697). They all act the same way:

I go to the firmware upgrade page, try to upload the firmware and a few seconds into the upload, the connection to the browser resets (ERR_CONNECTION_RESET from chrome) and when the router comes back up, it's the same "red" dd-wrt that comes from buffalo.

The status page says the router is a "WHR-300HP2" (note the lack of the "D". Based on many posts here, seems like they're the same but including that info in case they're really not.

What's interesting is if I try to "upgrade" to the buffalotech.com supplied r30354, the upgrade works. And by "works", I mean that the browser doesn't show the reset connection error.

When I packet sniff, it appears that the dd-wrt supplied firmware gets 1.5 seconds into the upload and just craps out. Based on what I see, the TCP window first a little smaller, then runs out of buffer space, then ACKs an old packet, the client then sends another packet and the router sends an RST.

The "good" upgrade takes 1.9 seconds, then does a POST /upgrade.cgi and then does all the "right" stuff after a firmware upgrade.

I know you may be thinking "why do you want to downgrade?" The answer is that I'm using these routers and VPN devices and it appears that OpenVPN on the buffalo supplied dd-wrt disconnects occasionally. What's weird is that I already have 2 or 3 WHR-300HP2D's in the field and are working fine that was able to load r23919. The only difference is that those existing WHR-300HP2D's were purchased over a year ago. The ones I'm trying to configure now were just purchased.

Any ideas on how to get a dd-wrt supplied firmware onto these 2 new WHR-300HP2D's?
Sponsor
deciacco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 16:38    Post subject: Exact same here.... Reply with quote
I'm experiencing the exact same thing, but I'm trying to upgrade to the latest firmware from here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/01-19-2018-r34578/buffalo_whr_300hp2/

ive tried tftp, webflash.bin, firmware.us...but nothing... firmware.us gives upgrade failed...webflash.bin kills the connection...tftp doesn't even connect...

...contacted Buffalo support and they said to contact dd-wrt...Rolling Eyes

Please help! Crying or Very sad
oweiler00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm afraid to say that I gave up. I switched to ASUS RT-N12 for my VPN device needs and spent much less time fiddling to get it working.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
that's a shame really...had no trouble loading the dd-wrt firmware from the buffalo site...there must be something different, either encryption or header stuff that's different in the webflash file.

I did try using a hex editor and put part of the beginning of the file from the buff site onto the beginning of the dd-wrt file. basically replaced everything prior to "....DD-WRT"...

Instead of just getting a disconnect and reboot I get a upgrade failed message...

Seems like someone at dd-wrt just needs to make a small change to the webflash file...
deciacco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
oweiler00 wrote:
I'm afraid to say that I gave up. I switched to ASUS RT-N12 for my VPN device needs and spent much less time fiddling to get it working.

were you able to load dd-wrt on those?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: