I don't want to sell my new router!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
cgytm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 18:05    Post subject: I don't want to sell my new router! Reply with quote
My question concerns the following route : Linksys WRT 1900ACS V.2.
Until now I was connected on the Internet with an Asus router under Tomato. The router is now defective.
My WAN connection was as follows ans as it appears on the Tomato router. This is a static ip address given by my isp:

WAN IP Address: 205.237.39.204
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: 172.16.0.3
Static DNS 1: 8.8.8.8:53
Static DNS 2: 8.8.4.4:53

On DD-WRT, I can not reproduce this configuration because it is impossible to write 8.8.8.8:53

I have been working on this issue for 2 days and I can't find a solution. I must say that I am new with DD-WRT and have no substantial expertise with routers.

How do we succeed in configuring what appears to be that port 53 which seems to me as open. May be I am wrong As a priority I need the "recipe". I will thereafter try to understand a little why it's so simple with Tomato and obscure with DD-WRT. Smile

I have to admit that I tried to install Tomato on this router but it is not possible to do ... I even tried with the original interface of Linksys. This interface is null! So I have to get through the problem otherwise I will have a nice new router for sale! Smile. Thank you so much!
Sponsor
neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
In dd-wrt, you don't have to add port 53, it's done automagically. Just enter the static DNS servers in the Setup tab and you're good to go!
TP-Link WR710N ..... Stock (considering DD-WRT)
cgytm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second attempt today after having reset the router and installed the latest beta version of the DD-WRT software. The only changes made are the user name and password. I reentered the static ip information mentioned above . I even checked them connecting my laptop directly and got an Internet connection. Too bad, nothing works. As mentioned, I've done no other modifications in order to keep it simple as possible and to not interfere in any way. I am asking myself now if the router has an hardware problem or if I still have a configuration problem. Thanks for your cooperation
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 20:41    Post subject: Re: I don't want to sell my new router! Reply with quote
cgytm wrote:

This makes no sense in networking terms. Do you have a modem or other router between your Asus and Internet?

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think that the subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 is valid. IP calc programs will not allow anything smaller then 255.255.255.252. The all 255 subnet would normally mean no hosts on this subnet.
ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.

Last edited by myersw on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:56; edited 1 time in total
cgytm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I live in a rural area and I am getting Internet through a cable from an Ubiquity antenna-router which gets its signal from Wi-Fi.

Here is a copy of my configuration on Tomato

Last edited by cgytm on Fri Jul 07, 2017 15:40; edited 1 time in total
cgytm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also had it on a previous Air Router Ubiquity router and also here is a copy of the configuration on this router (which was also working well) May be I it should be configured elsewhere on DD-WRT? Thanks again for the efforts.

Last edited by cgytm on Fri Jul 07, 2017 15:37; edited 1 time in total
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you connect to Ubiquity router? Something is strange here...
[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
cgytm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
My ISP "antenna-router" is an Ubiquity router. I plugged the cable coming from that "antenna-router" (which is about 50 feet high) directly in my laptop (configured with those informations) :

and I got an Internet connection.

The problem occurs when I want to connect my Linksys DD-WRT router between my laptop and the ISP. As mentionned I configured DD-WRT on the Basic Setup as a Static connection (WAN) and it simply doesn't work.

As metionned It was working flawlessly on an Asus Tomato router (which I replace because it has now an hardware problem). On that router I simply put the figures on the WAN section. Same with another one which is an Air Router from Ubiquity. I actually use this router as a spare waiting for the eventual transition toward the Linksys 1900 ACS DD-WRT. In this case the router is also configured (it has its own firmware) in the WAN section as it is with the Asus Tomato.

My "hypothesis" now is that DD-WRT doesn't work like other routers. It is not as simple. Could it be that it requires another type of configuration like a "client bridge" "repeater" etc I don't know which one could work and I am not familiar with this. Any reactions or opinions?
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I find ddwrt quite simple.

is your ISP modem and ddwrt router both handing out IP addresses to your internal network?

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@cgytm This is not the case. Understanding how your network works is. Try to connect 172.16.0.3
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please make your pictures smaller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks d0ug.

Quote:
So what I understanding here is there is a Ubiquiti router up on your antenna mast that has a WAN IP of 205.237.39.204

Right! The Subnet Mask of that 'antenna-router" made bu Ubiquiti is: 255.255.255.255 and the Gateway is: 172.16.0.3 I can't access to this router who belongs to my ISP it is password protected. As a matter of fact this router is a Rocket M2 made by Ubiquiti : https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocketm/

My internal network is on 192.168.10.1

Quote:

You are now trying to plug your own router into the LAN cable coming down from the Ubiquiti router?

Exactly! I want to plug my new Linksys router which has DD-WRT on it to my ISP router (Rocket M2). This is to definitely replace my Asus Tomato router which is now out of service. There is a picture above showing how was configured that Tomato router.

Temporarily I am using another router which is an "Air Router" also made by Ubiquiti. When connected to my ISP antenna-router (Rocket M2) I have an internet connection with that router. There is also a picture above showing how it is configured. This is NOT the router who belongs to my ISP.

Quote:
If that is the case you do not duplicate the config settings in your Ubiquiti router. Your own router needs to be somewhere on the 192.168.10.x network so it can talk to the Ubiquiti router. Looking at the current config of your Ubiquiti router it looks to be set to dish out DHCP addresses, so the simplest thing is to probably set the WAN on your own router to DHCP. It should then auto configure with DHCP and you're ready to go.

I just tried that. After a reset, I configured my new Linksys-DD-WRT router simply giving it that address : 192.168.10.1. By default, the WAN is on DHCP. The result is that I don't have Internet access... It doesn't work.

Quote:

If you did want your own router to get the public facing IP that the Ubiquiti router has, then you need to see if there is a "Bridged" mode somewhere in the config for the Ubiquiti router, this would basically disable all the routing and make is invisible and let your own router take over these duties. I have never used a Ubiquiti device so I am not sure this option is there as it usually is in most cable modems.

As I mentioned I can't access the ISP router (Rocket M2). But it is probably not necessary. My Asus Tomato router was doing the job by just configuring the wan section as I did (above picture). Sure that there is a way to do it on DD-WRT. Just have to find it! Thanks!
cgytm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Please make your pictures smaller

Done! My error. Very Happy
neerav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
D0ug seems to understand what's going on.

There is just one thought: does Tomato ignore or override the 255.255.255.255 mask? Because like others have said, that seems to be a very wrong mask.

Just for kicks, try entering a 255.255.255.0 mask in dd-wrt WAN, reboot and see what happens.

I know this sounds stupid, but is the ethernet cable coming from Ubiquiti plugged into the WAN port on your router or the LAN port on your router?

TP-Link WR710N ..... Stock (considering DD-WRT)
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: