DNS intermittent failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
cniggeler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 19:56    Post subject: DNS intermittent failure Reply with quote
Hi, I have had my Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) mega - build 19342 for some time now. I keep a small software lab with 5-6 computers, plus my Note 3 in via wifi.

We just moved, and we now have AT&T DSL; I plugged that into the WAN port on the Asus. I am getting intermittent DNS failures where it is unable to resolve web URLs. This happens 25% of the time and is very annoying!

I put three DNS server addresses into the appropriate fields of the Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) section on the Setup page. I used three different DNS providers: Verisign, OpenNIC, and Alternate DNS. I also tried Google, plus my AT&T-supplied DNS addresses, plus others I've had over time. No joy.

I have not used DNSMasq and to my knowledge all of those are stock settings.

This situation does not occur when I connect my laptop directly to the AT&T-provided modem, so I am assuming the issues is within the Asus or its configuration.

As a workaround, I have added an alternate DNS in each of my computers' network settings, and this seems to be working, but just masks the issue. Does anyone have ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks!

PS Not sure how this got into this section of the forum, don't see how to move it...
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: