Netgear WNDR3700 - How to toggle wifi signal on/off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
reidun76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 22:32    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3700 - How to toggle wifi signal on/off Reply with quote
I have a WNDR3700 v1 and I just flashed DD-WRT onto it. I would like to figure out a way to toggle wifi on/off without going into the GUI every time. Either on a schedule or by the button on the front. I have done some research on this forum on both ways, but haven't been successful at either one. I tried a few different scripts that were supposed to toggle it off/on automatically on a schedule, but haven't been able to get any of them to work.

I have also checked the box for the SES / AOSS / EZ-SETUP / WPS Button to turn it off, but nothing happens when I push the button. Wifi lights do not change, signals still broadcast.

My ideal situation would be to have the button function to turn it on, and then a script or cron job that would look and see if the wifi is on and if it is, shut it off at 11 pm. If it's not on, then do nothing. That way I can turn it on whenever I need it, but if I don't remember to shut if off, it will shut off automatically.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? I am a complete newbie to DD-WRT but am a longtime user of Linux desktop OS's almost exclusively for about 9 years.

One last question is that I flashed DD-WRT with just the first install factory.img. Would the webflash.bin give me the functionality I'm looking for?
Sponsor
reidun76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 15:17    Post subject: Solved: How to toggle wifi on/off Reply with quote
I was able to solve this problem by installing DD-WRT on my old Linksys WRT310N. In the build for it, there is an option right in the GUI for scheduling the radio, but even better, the option to turn the WPS button into a Wifi toggle switch actually works. Also, I set the router to reboot every day at 11 pm with wifi off, so now I can toggle the wifi on, and if I forget to shut it off, it will automatically shut off for me. Perfect!

I had looked into installing DD-WRT on this router quite a while back, but the installation procedure seemed quite intimidating. After the ease of installing it on the NetGear WNDR3700 (but without the functions I was hoping for), I was motivated to try on this router. Surprisingly, it wasn't much more difficult, or maybe I just lucked out with the build I installed.

Thanks, DD-WRT team for all you do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: