Keeping multiple backups of a router's config

LauRoman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 13:03    Post subject: Keeping multiple backups of a router's config Reply with quote
So, when i get a break from work i plan to update 3 of my 4 routers (the house is pretty big Very Happy) starting with the main one, because some of them have a firmware that is at least 2-ish years old. I will be testing the performance with the new firmware for each one to be sure the update has no real big issues.

My question, however, is not exactly realted to any of that. The 4th router will, for the time being, stay on the current firmware and i do not plan on upgrading it for a while because i intend to do a couple of backups of it. I will do a backup of it in its current state (an edge AP that most of the time is powered off). Then i plan to configure it as the main router, replace the gigabit one i have and do a backup of that state.

I plan to keep the two backups safe, not upgrade router #4 for a long while and use it as an in-place replacement for any of the others i upgrade and test.

My question is, if i keep the fw version the same in the backup and the router, there should be no problems in restorint to either of the two backups and replacing one of the routers, right?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
In addition, both routers must be the same model in order to restore.
Be also aware that the MAC addresses will be the same.
LauRoman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not want to restore from one router to another, or from one version to another, just two different configuration backups to the same router that will make it function differently. I was wondering if there is something i should be worried about, like if i restore one of the backups without reseting the router or some such thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: