DDWRT, can resolve internet, but not domain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
puffel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 15:09    Post subject: DDWRT, can resolve internet, but not domain Reply with quote
In a corp. domain. Using ddwrt to setup my private subnet for testing.

Set the order of "dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.1".

Under the ddwrt LAN side, machine can get local computer name resolved (with dnmasq), or internet host name resolved.

However, I cannot get the host name in domain (WAN side of DDWRT) resolved.

Also, the -stop-dns-rebind is configured.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards!
Sponsor
r6300v2usr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01    Post subject: Re: DDWRT, can resolve internet, but not domain Reply with quote
puffel wrote:
In a corp. domain. Using ddwrt to setup my private subnet for testing.

I guess your setup seems similar to mine: DD-WRT router (with local subnet 192.168.1.0/24) behind upstream router (with own subnet 192.168.178.0/24). The DD-WRT router is connected via WAN port to the upstream router which is a Fritz Box.
Quote:
However, I cannot get the host name in domain (WAN side of DDWRT) resolved.
Also, the -stop-dns-rebind is configured.

The GUI entry "No DNS Rebind" results in the dnsmasq parameter "stop-dns-rebind". From the man pages of dnsmasq (I found that they fit well to the DD-WRT implementation):
    --stop-dns-rebind
    Reject (and log) addresses from upstream nameservers which are in the private IP ranges. This blocks an attack where a browser behind a firewall is used to probe machines on the local network.

My solution (running current KONG build 33010):
As I want to use "No DNS Rebind" and want to access the upstream router with "fritz.box" as well, I added the following parameters to "Additional DNSMasq Options":
    no-resolv
    rebind-domain-ok=/fritz.box/
    server=/fritz.box/192.168.178.1
The first parameter prevents dnsmasq from using the upstream DNS servers addresses (e.g. via DHCP) or the locally defined one (for me: just to be sure). But be aware: You have to specify all servers locally by server statement like: server=8.8.8.8 (e.g. for Googles DNS) as dnsmasq has no other source for getting the nameserver IP.
The other two entries tell dnsmasq to allow rebind access to the upstream domain. And I have to tell dnsmasq that the names of the upstream domain are resolved by the upstream nameserver running at 192.168.178.1.
Quote:
Any advice is appreciated.
Regards!

Your welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: