Repeater bridge with WZR-1750DHPD & Xfinity modem issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
scblair
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 0:12    Post subject: Repeater bridge with WZR-1750DHPD & Xfinity modem issues Reply with quote
I've had a heck of a time trying to get an AirStation WZR-1750DHPD (DD-WRT preinstalled) to work as a repeater bridge with my Xfinity Modem (Cisco). I've followed the directions precisely on the "repeater bridge" page several times and what happens is when I hit "apply" at the very end the router reboots and is unable to be accessed. The wireless icon on the AirStation blinks rapidly and I lose internet connectivity across the network.

I've reset the airstation to factory defaults each time to try inputting the settings again. Last time I did a full 30-30-30 reset.

The factory IP of the airstation is 192.168.11.1, and my Xfinity modem gateway is on 10.0.0.1. When I set the IP address for the airstation as in step 7 I set it to 10.0.0.2. Is this correct or is this the issue? (DHCP beginning address is set to 10.0.0.2).

Security is set on both to WPA2-PSK/AES, DHCP Client is enabled.

Buffalo tech support has been little help.

I'm typically a hardware guy. Networking eludes me. Thanks all.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08    Post subject: Re: Repeater bridge with WZR-1750DHPD & Xfinity modem is Reply with quote
scblair wrote:
The factory IP of the airstation is 192.168.11.1, and my Xfinity modem gateway is on 10.0.0.1. When I set the IP address for the airstation as in step 7 I set it to 10.0.0.2. Is this correct or is this the issue? (DHCP beginning address is set to 10.0.0.2).
Don't set static addresses in your DHCP range. That's probably not your issue though; what exactly -did- you change? There are some optional steps in various modes that are usually important.

However, another key omission; what build are you using? Read the Peacock announcement. Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
scblair
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are my current settings:

DD-WRT version: v24SP2 (6/12/14), which came pre-loaded

SSID: same as my modem SSID
wifi passkey: same as modem network
security: WPA2-PSK/AES

ON MODEM
gateway address: 10.0.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP beginning address: 10.0.0.2
DHCP ending address: 10.0.0.253
bridge mode: disabled
channel: auto
mode: 802.11g/n and 802.11a/n/ac for 5g network

ON DD-WRT ROUTER
wireless mode: repeater bridge
network mode: mixed
channel: auto
default IP: 192.168.11.1
virtual interfaces set up as specified

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks
scblair
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 0:50    Post subject: update: Reply with quote
I was able to set up the DD-WRT router so that I could access it wirelessly via laptop, but only when in close proximity of the AP wifi. When I try to access wifi from a further range (where the RB has stronger signal than the AP) I can pick up the network but it won't let me connect. If that makes sense. I tried this via iPhone: it shows both 2.4g and 5g networks but when I put in the password nothing happens. It does not give me a bad password notice.

Any thoughts?
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:54    Post subject: Re: update: Reply with quote
scblair wrote:
I was able to set up the DD-WRT router so that I could access it wirelessly via laptop, but only when in close proximity of the AP wifi. When I try to access wifi from a further range (where the RB has stronger signal than the AP) I can pick up the network but it won't let me connect. If that makes sense. I tried this via iPhone: it shows both 2.4g and 5g networks but when I put in the password nothing happens. It does not give me a bad password notice.

Any thoughts?

on Modem:
change your DHCP start address to 10.0.0.10
change wireless channel to a fixed channel, for example, channel 1

on DDWRT:
set one wireless interface as repeater bridge, the other as AP or disabled (dont set both to repeater bridge!)
set ip 10.0.0.2
gateway 10.0.0.1
DHCP disabled

use different SSID for the virtual AP on repeater bridge initially, see if that works.
scblair
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
That seemed to have done it. Both channels were set to RB so that was at least part of the issue. Definitely not clear on that in the wiki. I can access the router wirelessly and don't have any connection issues. I also changed the SSID on the virtual AP to make sure I was getting a signal and that it was working. Thanks a ton nolimitz!
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
scblair wrote:
That seemed to have done it. Both channels were set to RB so that was at least part of the issue. Definitely not clear on that in the wiki. I can access the router wirelessly and don't have any connection issues. I also changed the SSID on the virtual AP to make sure I was getting a signal and that it was working. Thanks a ton nolimitz!

Glad to know it worked. I always thought its obvious you cant have both interfaces in RB or CB modes, doesnt make sense, i was wrong though!

A recommendation for throughput, if repeater can receive good 5Ghz signal from modem, set repeater's 5Ghz/WL1 to RB and WL0 to AP, this way you get better throughput, and if you want less headache with connectivity, have different SSIDs for Modem and RB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: