TPLink WR-841Nv9 Stock vs DDWRT (Wifi performance)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
vortex05
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 14:31    Post subject: TPLink WR-841Nv9 Stock vs DDWRT (Wifi performance) Reply with quote
I've been wondering about this and I might do an experiment this weekend but just checking here if anyone else has done any testing on this topic.

I've been running the WR-841N on DDWRT from day one for about 2 years now without much of an issue however I've always wondered since I'm using this as an AP if the stock firmware was faster with respect to wireless performance.

Has anyone here tested the two and maybe can comment on this?

Otherwise I'll report back after the weekend where I switch out of DDWRT and try and revert to stock to test if there's a speed difference in wireless.
Sponsor
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this an opinion poll or should we be scientific about it ?
YaddaMinski
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:37    Post subject: Re: TPLink WR-841Nv9 Stock vs DDWRT (Wifi performance) Reply with quote
vortex05 wrote:
I've been wondering about this and I might do an experiment this weekend but just checking here if anyone else has done any testing on this topic.

I've been running the WR-841N on DDWRT from day one for about 2 years now without much of an issue however I've always wondered since I'm using this as an AP if the stock firmware was faster with respect to wireless performance.

Has anyone here tested the two and maybe can comment on this?

Otherwise I'll report back after the weekend where I switch out of DDWRT and try and revert to stock to test if there's a speed difference in wireless.

Use client bandwidth testers on your LAN. Most likely you will max out the bandwidth.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 23:27    Post subject: Re: TPLink WR-841Nv9 Stock vs DDWRT (Wifi performance) Reply with quote
Edit (for sense):
Have been using it as an AP for a couple of years, with factory firmware.
Weird spots include: must turn off upnp and fill in all 4 dns entries (point at your main router, same as gateway), save, power cycle, and then you could turn off DHCP if you like. Because it is on same network, you do have the option of putting its fixed ip address And its DHCP range outside of the DHCP range of your main router.

The sum of wifi traffic will not exceed the rating of one switch port, aka 99 megabits unidirectional. Cable your file server!

Edit2 (for results): After using dd-wrt on my spare (same hardware version), I can say that the factory firmware is faster for AP, and that dd-wrt is considerably better as internet router.

As to which is best, conveniently I've got two of them and answer: Both!

Somewhat of an exception: DD-WRT v33006 is practically perfect, AP use is not vulnerable to Krack attack, one flaw can be patched by adding the following to startup script
swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev eth0 set apply
*that makes the built in switch work without isolating clients.

And, then there's a kink: Range is 1/3rd more when selecting New Zealand (or Australia), or whatever makes the dd-wrt status page, wifi tab, show 23dbm. Although the factory firmware could perform faster throughput for ap-only use at shorter range (your laptop and AP both in your office), the news changes if your house is big, and thus longer range than factory design specs.
For example, listening to internet radio while out mowing the lawn? At that point, maximum range matters more than maximum throughput and you'd probably want dd-wrt.
I suggest to boost power only in the case of owning a larger property (then its a moot point if you powered up one radio higher or used several smaller radios for coverage). I also suggest to set HT20 (20-only) when using higher power. Not only is that polite, but it probably works better (especially after a wifi survey and selecting least popular channel).

Edit3: Please more tightly define what is expected of wifi performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: