Is it possible to get AC speed (Link speed 450) on WRT1200AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
americanninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:10    Post subject: Is it possible to get AC speed (Link speed 450) on WRT1200AC Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRT1200AC router with the most recent version of DD-WRT running on it. For a long time I was only getting a link speed of 144 on this router, due to the settings I choose for my 5Ghz network.

It seems some of the settings are causing issues, even though they shouldn't. After some tinkering, I found that I am now able to achieve a link speed of 300, which is a massive improvement and my PC to PC transfer speeds over the 5Ghz network has been much improved. The settings I am using here:

AC/N Mixed
Wide HT40
Channel 48
Extension: Lower

If I change the settings to VHT80 with any combination of wireless channel and extension channel, the wireless network on 5ghz either doesn't work or has a link speed of 144 again.

Does anyone have this router successfully running at 450 link speed (i.e. true AC speeds)? I know my laptop can achieve it, as I am testing with my macbook pro which I can successfully connect to my ISP provided AC router with a link speed of 450.

I'd love to get this thing working properly. Thanks!
Sponsor
Click16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I run at channel 149, upper extension, A.C. only and VT80. Give that a shot.
americanninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Click16 wrote:
I run at channel 149, upper extension, A.C. only and VT80. Give that a shot.

Hi Click16,

Unfortunately no luck with the above settings. Can you tell me which version of the WT1200AC router you have (v1 or v2) and which version of the Brainslayer firmware you are using (if you can provide a link to the file, that would be great too).

I set the 5ghz network to the settings you specified above and no good. In fact, with those settings, the 5Ghz network no longer comes up as visible in available networks list on my PC and Mac. So I assume it's not even broadcasting due to some error.

I'm trying to isolate this issue, and if you have the same router and firmware, I don't know how this can be happening.

One thing I would like to call out (as I'm not sure how it affect things), I am using a US purchased WRT1200AC with DD-WRT and have the regulatory domain set to US with the default (under the advanced settings section). However, I am using this in Japan and connecting to it with a Japan Macbook Pro, a Japan purchased iPhone, and a desktop PC with a TP-Link Archer T1U Wireless Nano USB Adapter which I bought off Amazon.co.jp.

These devices connect to any Wifi, when I am traveling abroad to China and the US, so I don't see there being a problem with connecting. Even so, I testing switching the regulatory domain to Japan, and tried a few settings (could no longer select channel 149). Anyway the result seemed the same, either the settings caused the network no longer to show in available networks, or it worked but the link speed was downgraded to 144Mbps.

Any ideas?
Click16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the V1, I was on the latest build; the 8/3 one. However I've since moved off that build in favor of Lede, it seems to run significantly better on my 1200ACv1.

Some things to try though would be making sure you are reseting defaults after a build installation. Also look at your wireless security settings, make sure you are using WPA2 and forcing AES. AC cannot work on any other encryption algorithm afaik.
americanninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update click16.

I have security configured as you mentioned above. Regarding the resetting to defaults, I have not done this. What does this affect? I assume I will need to reconfigure all settings if I do this, is this really necessary?

Also, how is the LEDE system compared to dd-wrt in terms of configuring the router? I don't have much configured on this router, I just use it as a VPN tunnel router behind my primary ISP router. I have all my appleTV, Alexa, and google Home stuff connected behind it (as I'm in Japan and I need everything to behave as it's in the US).

So I would need to figure out how to configured LEDE to use OpenVPN with privateinternetaccess.com.

BTW, someone unrelated question, but I was curious if you know how to enable port forwarding to a device with a VPN tunnel setup. i.e. I want to open a port between PTP network client on one of the laptops behind the VPN tunnel router. So a port XXXX will forward from primary router to secondary (VPN tunnel router), and that router will forward the port to my Laptop's IP address. I have tried to configure it, and it works, as long as I don't have the OpenVPN tunnel enabled (i.e. active). Once I activate the VPN tunnel, the port shows as closed when testing from a online open port checker tool. I assume it's because the VPN tunnel is keeping the laptop in a contained environment. Makes sense, in terms of what a VPN tunnel is doing, I'm just wondering if it's possible to configure the port forward. Is this a limitation of running a VPN tunnel and trying to port forward. What do people do for P2P software then? I guess they just deal with slightly slowly P2P speeds as they can't setup a open port for their P2P software. Just curious.
jeffmd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not quite sure what the requirements for the mimo connections are myself, but I too noticed on the factory firmware that if I let it auto configure itself it would use a very high channel and get full bandwidth. I tried to change this manually because It was choosing a channel that was occupied with a neighbors device and choosing a low one like OP caused the link speed to drop significantly.

It wasn't an issue so I let it go back to the high channel range but wanted to say that I to observed the low link speed if I forced a lower channel for AC.
americanninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wanted to share a quick update. I flashed my router with the 1/2017 kong build, which I found from someone's post on the forum here. If someone needs it, search for it on this forum. Someone uploaded it as an attachment.

It appears to work much better than the latest brainslayer builds. So I guess I'll just have to stick with it.

The strange thing is, my rMBP still only connects with a link speed max of 300Mbps. However my X1 Lenovo yoga now connects to the 5ghz network with a link speed of 866Mbps. I didn't even know that was possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: