Asus RT-N12 Multiple SSIDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
goastler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11    Post subject: Asus RT-N12 Multiple SSIDs Reply with quote
Hello! I've recently acquired an ASUS RT-N12 and ASUS RT-N12B1 router. I wanted to run a dual SSID system on either one of them, however only the physical AP SSID seems to work; the virtual AP SSIDs all break upon giving them security (changing disabled security to WPA2, for example). I've tried every security type available for both the physical and virtual AP, along with changing the wireless standard (g, n, etc), wifi channel (note below) and all of them result in any virtual AP SSID not broadcasting. I've tried hooking up to the virtual SSID like a hidden SSID but that does not work either. Essentially, all virtual AP SSIDs seem to not broadcast the moment you apply security to the wireless signal. I've tried doing an ifconfig down/up to each of the virtual APs and physical with no avail.

In addition, the wifi channel settings don't seem to apply either. They're set to channel 6 by default but the SSID signal shows up on channel 1, irrelevant of the channel setting.

I'm configuring all of the above via the GUI and I have done a 30/30/30 reset before and after applying DD-WRT firmware.

What confuses me further is that I have a spare test Linksys WRT54G that is showing the same symptoms (without the wifi channel issue - that's fine) where the virtual AP SSID just doesn't broadcast as soon as you apply security to it.

All of the virtual AP SSIDs work absolutely perfectly without security set annoyingly lol

If anyone has any advice I'm all ears! Cheers! Smile
Sponsor
goastler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh and the core_rev for the ASUS RT-N12s are 17, so they should support the virtual AP SSID stuff. The Linksys WRT54G on the other hand has core_rev 5, which I am running VINT on it because of. The ASUS routers are running firmware version dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12 and dd-wrt.v24-33215_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1 for the B1 model.

I've now got the Linksys to provide security on the virtual AP SSID, however it switches in intervals between transmitting the physical AP SSID and virtual by the looks of things, which I guess is the implementation due to the core_rev stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: