Linksys WRT3200ACM Initial flash of DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 21:42    Post subject: Linksys WRT3200ACM Initial flash of DD-WRT Reply with quote
I haven't posted here in awhile.
I'll be installing DD-WRT on a new Linksys WRT3200ACM. I've downloaded the latest build (20170829). There are two BIN files:
factory-to-ddwrt.bin
ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin

Last time I installed DD-WRT on a Linksys, for the initial install it was necessary to install the factory-to-ddwrt first, followed by the ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.

Is this still necessary for the initial stock-to-DD-WRT install? Or will I be fully installed just by flashing it with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin?

Another question: I've read that the WRT3200ACM has two partitions. With the initial install, does DD-WRT automatically go to the unused partition?

Thanks for any help you can provide, including anything else you think I should know.
Sponsor
GDTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT3200ACM Initial flash of DD-WRT Reply with quote
I was of the understanding the 'factory to dd-wrt' put the install on a second partition and leaves the factory install.

Once you do this and are logged into the dd-wrt router, enable SSH then, using Putty or some terminal, login to the router, and from the command / terminal prompt;

ubootenv get boot_part

The last number it returns is the partition (it will return 1 or 2). For mine, dd-wrt is on partition 1, so to return to Stock, enter (if yours returns 1 as well) 2.

So type;
ubootenv set boot_part 2

Then reboot.
Type;
reboot

Then, you can connect back to the default 192.168.1.1, flash with dd-wrt and it will boot back into that, whichever version you install or upgrade to. Each time I've changed or 'upgraded', I go back to stock and do it from there.

When it boots back into dd-wrt, all your previous setting will remain in tact. You can bump back and forth like this at will.

I just went through this over the last 3 days.

Brace yourself though. The WiFi is useless. The system goes from a 2 WiFi to 3 WiFi device. ath0 and ath1 are the original WiFi and ath2 is a different chip device that is a 5G/2.4 dual device. The original devices don't seem to work at all.

I can only get a connection with the dual, third device. Something really wrong here. I've tried a string of firmware going back to April.

giles02134 wrote:

Last time I installed DD-WRT on a Linksys, for the initial install it was necessary to install the factory-to-ddwrt first, followed by the ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.

Is this still necessary for the initial stock-to-DD-WRT install? Or will I be fully installed just by flashing it with the factory-to-ddwrt.bin?

Another question: I've read that the WRT3200ACM has two partitions. With the initial install, does DD-WRT automatically go to the unused partition?

giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for all the great info.

I'm losing my nerve Smile I might return the unopened WRT3200ACM and get a router works less problematically with DD-WRT. I primarily need the WiFi, and thought the WRT3200ACM would give me better coverage than I'm currently getting with my Trendnet TEW818DRU.
GDTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem.

Do read around though. I could be having a unique issue with either a messed config or a possible hardware flake happening.

My main router is a 1 year old refurb WRT1900ACSv2 running;

DD-WRT v3.0-r30700M kongmv (09/27/16)

Rock solid WiFi, the WiFi lights work it rarely needs a reboot, it's fast, doesn't seem to have any memory leaks though I'm haven't super interrogated it. I did read a fair bit and configured it really well... imo.

Looks the same, different guts.

giles02134 wrote:
Thanks again for all the great info.

I'm losing my nerve Smile I might return the unopened WRT3200ACM and get a router works less problematically with DD-WRT. I primarily need the WiFi, and thought the WRT3200ACM would give me better coverage than I'm currently getting with my Trendnet TEW818DRU.
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just curious--what's the latest build you've tried on the WRT3200ACM?
GDTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
r33257. Also tried r33215, r33180, r32597 and r31899

giles02134 wrote:
Just curious--what's the latest build you've tried on the WRT3200ACM?
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I'm inclined to follow your lead and go with the WRT1900ACS. I've come to depend on the features offered by DD-WRT (especially DNSMasq). The last thing I need is to be fighting with a router that doesn't fulfill its intended purpose.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
giles02134 wrote:
Thanks. I'm inclined to follow your lead and go with the WRT1900ACS. I've come to depend on the features offered by DD-WRT (especially DNSMasq). The last thing I need is to be fighting with a router that doesn't fulfill its intended purpose.

No matter what you decide to do keep or get a wrt1900acs I would suggest you read the thread in my sig if you have not already. Lots of good info. The second entry gives lots of getting started stuff.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
YES, thanks! I had read your posts, and just re-read to make sure I don't overlook anything.

Not my first rodeo with DD-WRT--I started back in 2006 with a Linksys 54GL series. I like the Trendnet TEW-818DRU that I've got now, but its WiFi coverage is spotty. I'll post back with details after I'm up-and-running.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
giles02134 wrote:
YES, thanks! I had read your posts, and just re-read to make sure I don't overlook anything.

Not my first rodeo with DD-WRT--I started back in 2006 with a Linksys 54GL series. I like the Trendnet TEW-818DRU that I've got now, but its WiFi coverage is spotty. I'll post back with details after I'm up-and-running.

You date back to when I started with a wrt54g in 2006 connected to a "high speed" DSL link.

Keep in mind that wireless issues can be caused by environmental issues, lots of other wireless networks close by for one, and not a fault of the router. Of course the 2.4 is impacted by bluetooth devices.

giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got my refurb Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 directly from Linksys (well, Belkin now, I guess).

Many years ago, when I installed DD-WRT on an early model Linksys W54GL, it was necessary to first flash with the "Factory-to-DD-WRT" image, and then from there, flash to the "Full" image. Is this still the case? I see that there are two images for each build for the WRT1900ACS:
    factory-to-ddwrt.bin
    ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin

Is it still necessary to use both? Or would I use the second image only if I were upgrading?

Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second image for upgrading or to flash the other partition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
giles02134 wrote:
I just got my refurb Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 directly from Linksys (well, Belkin now, I guess).

Many years ago, when I installed DD-WRT on an early model Linksys W54GL, it was necessary to first flash with the "Factory-to-DD-WRT" image, and then from there, flash to the "Full" image. Is this still the case? I see that there are two images for each build for the WRT1900ACS:
    factory-to-ddwrt.bin
    ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin

Is it still necessary to use both? Or would I use the second image only if I were upgrading?

Thanks!

There is not need to flash the webflash after the factory-to-ddwrt. the factory-to-ddwrt is the full version. There is no reason to do the second flash of the same version. The webflash is for upgrading from within the dd-wrt ui.

giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for answering the question I was about to ask Smile

I tried to flash the second image, but it temporarily bricked the router. I was able to bring it back to stock with a 30-30-30 reset. I then reinstalled the factory-to-bin image from the Linksys interface.

Now that I've gotten DD-WRT installed and running, do I need to perform another 30-30-30 reset? It looks good to go, but I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

One last thing: I've read that if one were to update DD-WRT from within DD-WRT, it would write the update to the other partition containing the factory firmware. Is this the case?

Thanks again.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
giles02134 wrote:
Thanks for answering the question I was about to ask Smile

I tried to flash the second image, but it temporarily bricked the router. I was able to bring it back to stock with a 30-30-30 reset. I then reinstalled the factory-to-bin image from the Linksys interface.

Now that I've gotten DD-WRT installed and running, do I need to perform another 30-30-30 reset? It looks good to go, but I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

One last thing: I've read that if one were to update DD-WRT from within DD-WRT, it would write the update to the other partition containing the factory firmware. Is this the case?

Thanks again.

NEVER PERFORM the old 30/30/30 reset on newer routers. This goes way back in time and not to be used anymore. In fact you can brick the router doing the 30/30/30. Just use the reset button on the back or if you want to get back to defaults do that from the administration tab.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: