R8000 not liking static assignments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03    Post subject: R8000 not liking static assignments Reply with quote
Hello all, longtime reader, first time poster.

I just flashed the Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17) last night. I came from Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31870M kongac (04/16/17) on an R8000.

Previously, the router would hold up to 20 static assignments. I only need 2 for real functionality, the other devices were segregated on the network to have the RFC1918 IP match the device. i.e.: laptops were 192.168.0.10-20, IoT devices were 192.168.0.100, etc.

At first I had used DNSMasq for DHCP and 20 static leases ready to go. I found that my wireless devices would pull their appropriate IP addresses, but wired devices would not. If I went into one of the PC's, and manually assigned it's IP/Mask/Gate/DNS it would work fine. If I set to grab IP's automatically, things would fail.
I did some reading, disabled DNSMasq, and things began to work, though intermittently. All but 1 PC would grab it's correct IP, except for one that would report misconfigured IP assignments. I thought this was rather odd and thought I'd report it.

Currently the network is running fine on DHCP with DNSMasq, and only 2 static leases assigned.

With 20 static leases, I still had free memory so I don't think I overloaded the R8000.

Has anyone come across similar problems? Is this a known bug that I missed in my searches? Thanks in advance for any advice; as I would prefer to have all static leases set. If that isn't possible, I'm quite alright with that. The important stuff is covered.

-Raven
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Things to check:
Did you erase nvram?
Check for spaces or other weird characters in your static lease name, also ciphers at the end or beginning are not allowed I think

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
thejae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup I had that trouble too, thats why i changed DHCP server into DNSMasq.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
this sounds like bad client issues....i could report the same but i ve noticed its very linked to a bad client wi-fi or lan, it doesn't matter not DHCP fetches wrong IP's, but the client are trying to obtain their previous obtained IP from that DHCP server, solution set them to static IP otherwise set your DHCP to short lease time, so it will reset DHCP daemon more often..
for Coffee or Restaurant 20 min is good time, for Home i set mine to 4-5h, for Business static + max lease time and so on...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

Things to check:
Did you erase nvram?
Check for spaces or other weird characters in your static lease name, also ciphers at the end or beginning are not allowed I think

Yes, and it is currently showing 39/64, so not sure if I should do it again after flashing to the latest build?
I did have a forward slash in one of the entries. I'll attempt the naming conventions again this weekend without anything but A through z, and get back to you.

Alozaros wrote:
set your DHCP to short lease time, so it will reset DHCP daemon more often..

I did consider doing this, but did not. When I dig into it again this weekend, I'll report my findings after changing lease times.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had time tonight start over. I read on on external forums that the R8000 doesn't respond well to the 30/30/30 as far as dumping nvram, so I did the nvram dump through telnet. Continued the setup manually and saved the backup.

Seems everything is working well.

As a side note, I gave all static lease entries a lease expiration of 1500, used only A through z characters, and let all devices sit powered off for about 30 minutes. Smile

Thank you everyone who took the time to reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: