DD-WRT VPN feature versus Open VPN on Linksys WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Tolerator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 22:14    Post subject: DD-WRT VPN feature versus Open VPN on Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I just bought a Linksys WRT3200ACM, and I plan to set it up to run a VPN service.

My question is: What are the upsides and downsides of using the Open VPN feature of the stock firmware versus flashing the router with DD-WRT and using its VPN feature?

I'm open to flashing my router but I'm not sure if DD-WRT is yet stable enough for the Linksys WRT3200ACM. Since downgrading to stock firmware requires quite some work from what I've read, I'm hesitant to flash it, and I just rather use the Open VPN feature from the stock firmware.

What would you do? Flash and hope for stability? Run the stock firmware with Open VPN?

Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should go under Marvell section
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
matth::
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 15:33    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT VPN feature versus Open VPN on Linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Tolerator wrote:
... What are the upsides and downsides of using the Open VPN feature of the stock firmware versus flashing the router with DD-WRT and using its VPN feature?...

I'am a proud Linksys WRT3200 owner, since Tuesday and new in this forum, too.
I flashed the latest beta firmware (DD-WRT v3.0-r33345 std (09/11/17)) to get the OpenVPN "Client" feature to use a VPN-Privacy-Service.

Let's share my experiences with this custom firmware:

upsides (pro's) of custom (DD-WRT firmware):
- router able to use as VPN-Client and VPN-Server
- tons of customizable settings

downsides (con's)of custom (DD-WRT firmware):
- firmware has beta stage (non bug free)

upsides (pro's) of official (Linksys firmware):
- firmware should work like charm (hopefully)

downsides (con's) of official (Linksys firmware):
- router only able to use a VPN-Server
- limited settings
Tolerator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your experience. I decided to flash my router as well, using the same DD-WRT version dating from 09/11/2017. So far, everything seems to work fine. In the Setup/Basic Setup tab, I have entered my VPN settings and it seems to work.

However, I have one more question: Under Services/VPN I can set up an Open VPN client. Is that something you would rescommend to do? What is the difference between setting up an VPN connection in the Setup/Basic Setup tab, and setting up an additional (?) Open VPN client?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tolerator wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience.

You are welcome. Very Happy

Tolerator wrote:
Under Services/VPN I can set up an Open VPN client. Is that something you would rescommend to do?

This option you need to configure only, if you connect to an existing Open VPN-Server. This function is useful to connect all your clients connected to the router to the same VPN tunnel. (= the router is sharing the VPN connection it is connected to)

For example, you want to protect your IP-Adress for privacy purpose and all your wireless/cabled devices (connected to the DD-WRT router) should be protected you should use this function. (You need a VPN service for this example)

Tolerator wrote:

What is the difference between setting up an VPN connection in the Setup/Basic Setup tab, and setting up an additional (?) Open VPN client?

Setup/Basic Setup:
I found this article: "https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-set-up-l2tp-vpn-on-dd-wrt-routers/"

In my case the DD-WRT router is not my primary router. The OpenVPN "Client" option works like charm. My IP is protected.
Tolerator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure if I understand the whole concept...

I subscribed to a VPN provider and entered my credentials into the "WAN Connection Type" section choosing a PPTP as connection type. If I visit the homepage of my VPN provider, it tells me I'm protected. If I check my IP address, I'm located somewhere in new Jersey (which is not my actual location). So far, so good.

But I wonder why would you set up an additional Open VPN connection in the Services/VPN tab? Does an Open VPN client gives you additional protection?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I just know how to configure this as client as well as server. It is just comfortable for me.
Tolerator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
O.k.
I just set up the Open VPN client and I get a "Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS" message. Since in the Setup/Basic Setup tag PPTP is still enabled, I hope that my router rather uses the Open VPN connection now. But I can't be really sure, right?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why? Just take a look into stats.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found out that it works after I set the connection type to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP". With PPTP enabled it did not use the Open VPN connection but the one I specified for PPTP. But now that I changed the WAN setting, it works beautifully! Thanks for your help...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: