Adding a second router that broadcasts a different SSID

rekabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49    Post subject: Adding a second router that broadcasts a different SSID Reply with quote
Is it possible to wirelessly connect a second router that will broadcast a different SSID. I'd like to add a router to my network that is in a VPN so I can connect specific devices to it wirelessly so they are in the VPN.

My hardware:
Main router/AP - Netgear R6700 running DD-WRT
Secondary Router- Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT

Everything I've read about setting up a bridge appears to broadcast the same SSID as the main AP. I would much rather have all my wireless devices connect to the Netgear by default and selectively connect devices that I want in a VPN to the Linksys.
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wrt54g needs to be in repeater mode.
Should work with VPN if your VPN works on the wrt54gl as regular wired gateway.
You can try -
If working VPN client as wired behind main then just unplug cable from main router and put it in repeater mode. You'll have to reboot it.
You will have to create a VAP for wireless clients to connect ---- don't know why you think the VAP would need same SSID, it does not.

You need to know what repeater is.
It is NOT repeater bridge.
rekabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I was trying the repeater bridge option because I liked the idea of devices on the wrt54gl being able to access shared files on the network but if that's not doable then I will look at just the repeater option.

My concern was that the wrt54gl would broadcast broadcast the same SSID as the same network and result in devices automatically connecting to the wrt54gl which G rather than my main router which is AC. Is this even how it works?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why don't you create a VAP that broadcast a second SSID?
No need for a second router.
rekabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I drop only devices connected to that VAP into a VPN?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, use the PBR field in the VPN Setup.
rekabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Edit, I think I found it. Will this work?

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_on_Dedicated_Wireless_Access_Point_(VAP)

Last edited by rekabs on Thu Sep 14, 2017 14:58; edited 2 times in total
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
rekabs wrote:
Thanks, I was trying the repeater bridge option because I liked the idea of devices on the wrt54gl being able to access shared files on the network but if that's not doable then I will look at just the repeater option.

My concern was that the wrt54gl would broadcast broadcast the same SSID as the same network and result in devices automatically connecting to the wrt54gl which G rather than my main router which is AC. Is this even how it works?

I just setup VPN on WRT54Gv2.2 w/r33215 dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin in 'Repeater' mode and it works just fine.
The VAP is good but need to reboot before it works.
All connected to it goes thru tun. PBR seems to be a little flakey on K2.4 builds.
Connected to a dd-wrt ovpn server tun at other location.
using:
AES-192-CBC
SHA256
I can get a screaming 2.8 down / 2.5 up Razz
rekabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

I just setup VPN on WRT54Gv2.2 w/r33215 dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin in 'Repeater' mode and it works just fine.
The VAP is good but need to reboot before it works.
All connected to it goes thru tun. PBR seems to be a little flakey on K2.4 builds.
Connected to a dd-wrt ovpn server tun at other location.
using:
AES-192-CBC
SHA256
I can get a screaming 2.8 down / 2.5 up Razz

I'd be running the VAP/VPN on my main router (R6700) which is running a 3.0 build
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07    Post subject: Client Reply with quote
This isnt too complex.

1) Make sure your Secondary (VPN Router) is on a different IP Subnet Like 192.168.2.1 instead of your primary routers IP Range.

2) You have to take the 2.4ghz or 5ghz radio and put it in client mode and put in the same SSID of your primary router.

Then use the Same Key as your primary router.

This will then establish the internet connection by turning of the physical WAN ethernet connection, and your router will link up wirelessly like a PC.

3) Now you need to create a Virtual Access Point name on the same interface you used (2.4 G or 5G) So you can still connect to it on that Interface. (Gve it a key also)

4) Add your VPN to the router.

It will connect to the vpn as if it were wired.

It works, I do this all the time for people professionally.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 13:32    Post subject: Re: Client Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
This isnt too complex.

1) Make sure your Secondary (VPN Router) is on a different IP Subnet Like 192.168.2.1 instead of your primary routers IP Range.

2) You have to take the 2.4ghz or 5ghz radio and put it in client mode and put in the same SSID of your primary router.

Then use the Same Key as your primary router.

This will then establish the internet connection by turning of the physical WAN ethernet connection, and your router will link up wirelessly like a PC.

3) Now you need to create a Virtual Access Point name on the same interface you used (2.4 G or 5G) So you can still connect to it on that Interface. (Gve it a key also)

4) Add your VPN to the router.

It will connect to the vpn as if it were wired.

It works, I do this all the time for people professionally.

Do you suggest this route, a secondary router, or just creating a VAP on the main router and using PBR to route devices connected to the VAP through the VPN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: