Chromecast Connection Problem

awburck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 22:16    Post subject: Chromecast Connection Problem Reply with quote
I have a NordVPN Netgear R7000 router and have been unable to connect to Chromecast. Even when I disable the VPN, I still can't connect. When I try, I lose my internet connection. My Chromecast works fine with my old Netgear N300 router, but my new router has DD-WRT firmware preinstalled with NordVPN and no matter what settings I try, it just will not connect. Has anyone been able to successfully connect to Chromecast with DD-WRT? What settings did you use? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Sponsor
laurent670
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I have the same problem with Chromecast. Sad

Last edited by laurent670 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:15; edited 1 time in total
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you say it can't connect, you mean you make it to connect WLAN but haven't got internet or you can't even see the WLAN? Or you see it but it won't connect to it? Is this to 2.4 or 5ghz wlan? What ddwrt build?
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
awburck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 16:26    Post subject: Reply to Xeon2k8 Reply with quote
When I'm on the Chromecast setup screen after I input the router name and password and click "Enter" to link my Chromecast unit with the router, I immediately lose my wireless internet connection through that router. In order to re-establish the wireless internet connection, I have to close the Chromecast app. If I use a wired Ethernet connection between my laptop and the router and try to connect the router to Chromecast, nothing happens. The little circle icon just keeps looping endlessly. I thought perhaps there was some DD-WRT setting that was in conflict with the Chromecast app causing me to lose the wireless internet connection.

The router is capable of 2.4 and 5.0 GHz, but I think Chromecast is 2.4.

The DD-WRT build is: DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16)
awburck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 22:24    Post subject: Connected to Chromecast with Tomato Reply with quote
I worked for 2 weeks to connect DD-WRT to Chromecast. After I replaced DD-WRT with Tomato on my router, it took about 5 minutes to connect to Chromecast. I don't know why, but DD-WRT is not compatible with Chromecast. Do your self a favor and switch to Tomato if you want a VPN connection to Chromecast.
gabrielra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
DDWRT is working with Chromecast awburck.

I have two differents devices ( TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and Asus Asus RT-N18U) and is working with VPN with both of them.
awburck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 20:57    Post subject: Chromecast Did Not Work For Me with DD-WRT Reply with quote
gabrielra,

Good for you. I'm glad you got your VPN to work with DD-WRT firmware on your router. I went back and forth and round and round with FlashRouters and NordVPN and did countless internet searches. Nothing worked until I switched to Tomato. Then, viola, like magic no problem connecting my Chromecast to BBC iPlayer via a NordVPN UK server. Different strokes for different folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: