Extending a wifi when multiple ap with same ssid in range

Treebark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 23:07    Post subject: Extending a wifi when multiple ap with same ssid in range Reply with quote
I am using a atheros based router running 24sp2.

I am using it as a wifi extender which works and is setup correct, however there is 3ap in rang with the same ssid, 1 of the 3 does not have Internet access. As the signals fluctuate ddwrt will randomly connect to the strongest one which is a problem when it gets stuck on the one with no internet access.

I have been looking for a way to restrict or chose to which ap to connect but not getting anywhere, mac address black list also doesn't work by trying trying to black list the ap mac which has no Internet.

I have no access to the outside routers as they are paid hotspots.

How can I let ddwrt know which mac address I want to extend and stick to it? I Have a feeling this is a limitation
Sponsor
Treebark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I thought the same about mac address filter but still gave it a try, that's a shame connecting to a network through a mac address or ssid would of been much more logical, I guess it must be a limitation of hardware or perhaps routing protocols that does not allow it. How ever most Linux command line programs always ask for ssid and mac, for instance when capturing network logs to associate with a ssid
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configure the WPA_supplicant with a specific BSSID (MAC address).
I read a topic about it on this forum today.

I believe the Atheros have the supplicant present. Post in the Atheros forum to have it confirmed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: