Does disabling SSID broadcast work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
anthonymo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am aware that if you have connected to it in the past it will show unless you delete it out of the chooser... but that I is why I mentioned that it apeared on my clients laptop who I know has never been connected to it.

Perhaps its a wr850g bug... or a wireless repeater with virtual wireless device bug

Ubnt Routerstation running 16785 Std
Cisco Valet (M10)16773M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko std-nokaid-small
Sponsor
anthonymo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The feature works perfectly on my wrt54g with a primary and a virtual interface (virtual not broadcast)
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
anthonymo wrote:
I am aware that if you have connected to it in the past it will show unless you delete it out of the chooser... but that I is why I mentioned that it apeared on my clients laptop who I know has never been connected to it.

Perhaps its a wr850g bug... or a wireless repeater with virtual wireless device bug
I hadn't noticed that you were running a WR850G. Both my WTR54GS and WR850G show core revision of 7. The advice I got, which seemed to be validated by testing, is to run the eko VINT builds on these. That is what I'm running on the WTR54GS which I reported hiding SSID tested to be working correctly. You might want to telnet/SSH into your router and run "nvram show | grep corerev" to check yours. If yours also shows corerev=7 then you might want to pull down an RC7-VINT build from downloads/others/eko/RC7-VINT and give that a try.
rsxhitman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am using virtual device with repeater, its working fine
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tested this on a Repeater Bridge running RC7 Micro (54Gv5), RB running RC7-Mini-VINT (54Gv1), and RB running RC7-nokaid-VINT (54Gv2) and RB running RC7-Std (WHR-G54S).

I also checked a unit in Repeater mode (unbriged-DHCP server) RC7-Std (HP-G54)

None disabled....all continued to broadcast the SSID.

If someone has started a ticket...let me know...I'll confirm. Disable Broadcast is not working.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spent some time looking at this today.
When I select SSID broadcast disabled in the wireless basic page nvram shows this:
wl0.1_closed=1
when I select SSID broadcast enabled it shows this:
wl0.1_closed=0

How ever even if I remove the device from the windows chooser and re-scan it pops back up again.

Even if I reboot the router inbetween.

I'll go create a ticket, I'll let you know redhawk.. its my first time so let me know if I should include something I forget.

anthonymo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issue #3077
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've confirmed and added notes.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see that thank you.
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I just tested this on a Repeater Bridge running RC7 Micro (54Gv5), RB running RC7-Mini-VINT (54Gv1), and RB running RC7-nokaid-VINT (54Gv2) and RB running RC7-Std (WHR-G54S).

I also checked a unit in Repeater mode (unbriged-DHCP server) RC7-Std (HP-G54)

None disabled....all continued to broadcast the SSID.

If someone has started a ticket...let me know...I'll confirm. Disable Broadcast is not working.

redhawk
Hmm, wonder what I'm doing different. Earlier I tested my WTR54GS and found it working properly with dd-wrt.v24-9433_VINT_micro.bin. Now I've tested my WR850G v2 and found it working correctly with and without a bridge with dd-wrt.v24-9433_VINT_std.bin. All if my tests show my SSID is not broadcasting when set not to do so.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
TexasFlood wrote:
Hmm, wonder what I'm doing different. Earlier I tested my WTR54GS and found it working properly with dd-wrt.v24-9433_VINT_micro.bin. Now I've tested my WR850G v2 and found it working correctly with and without a bridge with dd-wrt.v24-9433_VINT_std.bin. All if my tests show my SSID is not broadcasting when set not to do so.

You got me wondering too. I changed SSID Broadcast to Disable....Apply, reboot...while rebooting I removed the profile from my wireless settings on the laptop. After the unit finished booting the Wireless settings page now showed disabled....but it was still showing up in my wireless scan from the laptop. I know that it worked in previous builds (I used to use no broadcast 6-9 months ago) but this is the first time I have tried it since...

If someone sees a error in my testing methodology...please inform.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure why we're getting different results.

All my tests were with the 9433 VINT build on routers with core revision of 7. I loaded the firmware, reset to factory defaults and then either just disabled SSID broadcast or set up a bridge first then disabled SSID broadcast.

On my laptop, I made sure any profiles with that SSID were removed, then rebooted my laptop. My laptop has a switch to turn off all wireless radios so I turned it off until the reboot was complete, just an attempt to assure nothing was cached. Once the laptop was back up, I scaned both with the Access Connections "Find WLAN" function and Net Stumbler 0.4.0.

Again, in my case, all of the tests showed the SSID was not being broadcast.

I can't account for the different results at this point.
theMast3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 19:01    Post subject: help me understand Reply with quote
just a quick FYI, I disabled SSID broadcast on my WRT54G v5 (RC7) yesterday, and it worked.
Now, after I disabled it, my wife's laptop was not able to see the network. My question is, how to we connect to the router if the computer can not "see" the network? We are using Vista on the laptop.
Thanks.
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 19:33    Post subject: Re: help me understand Reply with quote
theMast3r wrote:
just a quick FYI, I disabled SSID broadcast on my WRT54G v5 (RC7) yesterday, and it worked.
Now, after I disabled it, my wife's laptop was not able to see the network. My question is, how to we connect to the router if the computer can not "see" the network? We are using Vista on the laptop.
Thanks.
All of my tests so far show that disabling SSID broadcast in RC7 (at least 9433 VINT builds) works properly as well.

In my case, I have profiles on all devices (desktop, laptop, WII) that have the SSID embedded so they all "know" the SSID already. This profiles were either created manually or based on the SSID when I was broadcasting.

If you want devices to be able to see the network to ease connectivity then keep broadcasting the SSID - my sister does so for that reason.

From what I have read, the security is really coming from proper encryption & hiding the SSID doesn't really add much. I do not broadcast my SSID just cause I'm paranoid and thinking it might prevent some load from failed association attempts to my router. I don't think it is a real security measure and have turned SSID broadcasting on in the past to ease connectivity for guests.
theMast3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:43    Post subject: Re: help me understand Reply with quote
TexasFlood wrote:
All of my tests so far show that disabling SSID broadcast in RC7 (at least 9433 VINT builds) works properly as well.

In my case, I have profiles on all devices (desktop, laptop, WII) that have the SSID embedded so they all "know" the SSID already. This profiles were either created manually or based on the SSID when I was broadcasting.

If you want devices to be able to see the network to ease connectivity then keep broadcasting the SSID - my sister does so for that reason.

From what I have read, the security is really coming from proper encryption & hiding the SSID doesn't really add much. I do not broadcast my SSID just cause I'm paranoid and thinking it might prevent some load from failed association attempts to my router. I don't think it is a real security measure and have turned SSID broadcasting on in the past to ease connectivity for guests.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that today Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: