Does disabling SSID broadcast work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Starrx08
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my Linksys WRT54G v4 and Buffalo HP 54G, I can't get the virtual SSID hidden for repeater mode. I did apply settings and reboot router. It seems to be a bug or I didn't things in right order. Regardless, it's working fine in repeater mode linked to other APs I have.
Sponsor
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
edit: nvm read topic wrongly Embarassed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to try Eko's nokaid_minus in the work truck, I'll give an update after (monday perhaps)
Ubnt Routerstation running 16785 Std
Cisco Valet (M10)16773M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko std-nokaid-small
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's disappointing about this, is that this used to work, I could hide the SSID in repeater mode in the V24 betas until recently, so the developers just broke this recently.

Any progress on a fix?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
yipperzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same problem here. I'm running a Asus WL-520GU and I was at the eko's v24 rc7 9396 NEWD_nokaid_usb bin. I have it set up in Repeater Bridge mode to my other Buffalo router. It works fine even with the Buffalo not broadcasting it's SSID.

But the virtual interface that I created is still broadcasting even though I told it to disable. I have quite a bit of machines in my house and I tested them all (windows, linux) and they were able to see the virtual ap but could not see the original ap that had broadcasting disabled.

I even ran Netstumbler and it could not see the original AP that had the broadcasting disabled. But it did see the virtual ap that I created.

I thought that maybe there was a fix in the v24 final, so I upgraded to the v24_std_generic and it's still broadcasting.

I do have security enabled but I don't want to broadcast my ssid to the world unless I have to. Hopefully it's something that a future build will fix if it really is a bug.
rsxhitman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
you have to disable for both interfaces, when you set repeater first youll see it has broadcast ssid on the real AND the virtual interface, you have to disable the REAL one, as the virtual one appears to have no impact on that option, so disable both
yipperzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
rsxhitman wrote:
you have to disable for both interfaces, when you set repeater first youll see it has broadcast ssid on the real AND the virtual interface, you have to disable the REAL one, as the virtual one appears to have no impact on that option, so disable both

There's only an option to disable the virtual since it is running a repeater bridge. The only option that you can change on the physical interface is whether or not it is bridged.

The physical interface's SSID is not being broadcasted anyway. So I'm pretty sure that it's set up fine. It's the virtual interface that the setting is not working.
rsxhitman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
trust me, the virtual interface option does not work, get to the physical option and disable both of them after, set to AP, save it dont apply, disable ssid, then save it, and put it back on repeater( or whatever your using) and apply it

yipperzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
rsxhitman wrote:
trust me, the virtual interface option does not work, get to the physical option and disable both of them after, set to AP, save it dont apply, disable ssid, then save it, and put it back on repeater( or whatever your using) and apply it

[img]http://i26.tinypic.com/2dl1b8k.j pg[/img]

This worked. Thank you very much. I didn't have that option under repeater bridge, but after I followed your instructions to change to AP, save, disable, save, and apply settings it worked!

Odd that you can't change it without putting it to AP mode first, but at least it works. Thanks again.
tweiyang11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey all.. juz found out that diabling ssid in repeater / repeater bridge works well in RC5.. but v24 final seems to be not working..

if y'all desperately wanna disable the ssid, u can juz switch back to rc5 first while the developers try to solve the problem..
cloggy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The tip by rsxhitman resolved the problem for me. I was also looking to suppress the broadcasting of the virtual SSID. Thanks.

Yet, it is strange that for the virtual SSID you can select to broadcast the SSID or not but whatever you select, it is ignored.
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The workaround works for me on Buffalo WHR-G54S. When is it going to be fixed for real though?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
JN wrote:
The workaround works for me on Buffalo WHR-G54S. When is it going to be fixed for real though?
bump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: