Bricked my DIR-880L - need some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
vonnie99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21    Post subject: Bricked my DIR-880L - need some advice Reply with quote
So...I installed the Kong firmware but it bricked my router. I'm getting a TTL 100 on the ping to 192.168.0.1 and I also get the D-link recovery page on the browser. However, although it uploads and says it installs the d-link firmware, the install doesn't seem to take and the power light just keeps blinking. I've done multiple 30/30/30s to no avail. It just keeps coming back to the recovery page. Any suggestions for next steps before I have to go the serial or JTAG route?
Sponsor
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 14:02    Post subject: Re: Bricked my DIR-880L - need some advice Reply with quote
vonnie99 wrote:
So...I installed the Kong firmware but it bricked my router. I'm getting a TTL 100 on the ping to 192.168.0.1 and I also get the D-link recovery page on the browser. However, although it uploads and says it installs the d-link firmware, the install doesn't seem to take and the power light just keeps blinking. I've done multiple 30/30/30s to no avail. It just keeps coming back to the recovery page. Any suggestions for next steps before I have to go the serial or JTAG route?

30/30/30 reset doesn't work for the D-Link routers. Holding the reset button while powering on the router will bring you straight to the Emergency Recovery page. If you managed to load the Emergency Recovery page, perform the following steps:

1. Flash the factory-to-ddwrt.bin firmware for r30342 (07/30/2016) from the DD-WRT website.

2. Change your computer's IP to DHCP instead of static IP after the Emergency Recovery page says upload successful or something like that. You should get a 192.168.1.x IP address for your computer.

3. Login to DD-WRT at 192.168.1.1 and flash the firmware I uploaded (link below).

https://app.box.com/s/b4v1s342ef2dpd52j02lqtuzi1oiipco

4. Reset the router's configuration to default using GUI and configure your router.

That should fix it.

Flashing with Kong's latest build for DIR-880L and DIR-868L will send it into a boot loop as the wireless driver crashed when it is loaded.

You have to flash with my build.

If Step 1 sends you back to the Emergency Recovery page, then I'm afraid you have to order yourself a 3.3v TTL USB to serial adapter and perform a 'nvram erase' when you break into CFE.

I don't think you'll need to crack open your router to recover it tho.

Good luck.
vonnie99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips quarkysg.

Unfortunately, it didn't work so it looks like I'll have to go the serial route.
vonnie99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 0:40    Post subject: Thanks for the fixed-up firmware, quarksg Reply with quote
had to connect up via serial and erase the nvram that way, then was able to load the quarkysg firmware and it worked. Thanks quarkysg!!
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The latest build I uploaded is 33492a. You should upgrade to this version if you’re not already there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: