Client Bridge Setup, diffrent wifi channel between routers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
qamyk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 18:40    Post subject: Client Bridge Setup, diffrent wifi channel between routers? Reply with quote
My router: TL-WR740N, flashed with dd-wrt
Primary router: TG86G, with the default firmware, propably never updated.

Today i set up a client bridge network using dd-wrt where my router connected to my Pc trough ethernet, connects with the primary router that is connected to modem trough wifi. One of the routers (the primary one) was already set up by someone else and for some reasons i couldn't access it configuration site by typing its ip in the browser, but i managed to get required information diffrent way. I have an internet access but the thing is the download speed keep dropping up and down, between 20mbps to 1mbps and it gives me very poor NAT in online games. I've been wondering if i can do anything on my router to fix it since i have no access to the primary router. For example, by examining wifi channels i found out that the channel that primary router and my router are currently opearting on (9) is overlaped by 4 other networks/devices. Could changing my router wireless channel to 6 which is not occupied by anyone, fix that problem? Or does both routers in bridge setup must operate on the same wifi channel? I would check it up myself but for some reason after setting up my router following this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE1mr-TXUPo . I can no longer change some of the settings like Wifi Channel, so i guess i will have to reset my router and set up everything again, but before i do that i would like to know if it's possible and if it could help. I tried a lot of other things before that but noone of them really worked, like:
1) Setting up static ip and post forwaring all the game ports
2) Turning on UPnP
3) Turning on Qos and setting up it in diffrent manner (i can't see the Queueing Discipline bracket, though)
4) Turning off the firewall
5) Running this command ipconfig /flushdns
6) Checking up the Nat on laptop, that connects directly to wifi

Changing wifi channel is the last idea i have, if it won't help i will be forced to sneak on that primary router, press reset and set it up my way. Laughing
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You would have to change the channel on the primary router.
Can't run separate channel on the client bridge device.... unless of course it was a dual band router... which would do you no good anyways cause you say you're wired to it.

You should look in the atheros forum about good wireless settings for your device ..... although being in client bridge mode most all wireless config will come from primary router.

The wr740n is an atheros unit.
All questions related to it should be in that forum....you will get a lot better response

Edit: Would be helpful to know what dd-wrt build is installed and what version is the wr740n.
These things should be in every new post Cool
qamyk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

Edit: Would be helpful to know what dd-wrt build is installed and what version is the wr740n.

Oh right sorry for not mentioning that, i isntalled the same one as the guy in the video, which is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13).

Yeah i tried to set up my router in many ways, but noone of them improved my NAT even slightly, i guess it all comes down to primary router and i won't be able to fix anything without getting access to it. I would reset it and set it up again by myself but sadly i don't have access to it and i think the owner of the house wouldn't be pleased if i started tampering with it. When i try to log into the router configuration menu via typing its ip to the browser it denies me access. I wish there was some sneaky way to get into this router config without reseting it. Thanks for help and sorry for posting it in the wrong subforum, they seem a bit confusing to me.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
qamyk wrote:
mrjcd wrote:

Oh right sorry for not mentioning that, i isntalled the same one as the guy in the video, which is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13).

Yeah i tried to set up my router in many ways, but noone of them improved my NAT even slightly, i guess it all comes down to primary router and i won't be able to fix anything without getting access to it. I would reset it and set it up again by myself but sadly i don't have access to it and i think the owner of the house wouldn't be pleased if i started tampering with it. When i try to log into the router configuration menu via typing its ip to the browser it denies me access. I wish there was some sneaky way to get into this router config without reseting it. Thanks for help and sorry for posting it in the wrong subforum, they seem a bit confusing to me.

I would at least update --- install from
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/08-03-2017-r33006/

There are newer but some have caused problems on some TPLink units.
Should be new build released soon that fixes most if that.
Read New build threads in the atheros forums
paravox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
My money's on the channel overlap. I'd switch the primary router to 6 or preferably 1, as 6 partially overlaps 9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: