KCRACK vulnerability heads up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 13:24    Post subject: KCRACK vulnerability heads up Reply with quote
Hi dev and all,

I saw someone already mentioned this in <Kong>'s 10/14 build thread. Figure may as well start a thread.

This is in regards to vulnerability in the WPA2 standard itself. Here's an ars post on the subject. I am sure more details will become available in the corresponding CVE disclosures:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/severe-flaw-in-wpa2-protocol-leaves-wi-fi-traffic-open-to-eavesdropping/

As far as I understand, both routers and clients need to be patched to neutralize this in any particular networks. But I am going to bet my DD-WRT router is going to be patched way sooner than my smartphones, laptops and OSes...
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
See http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/33525

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Terrance73
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks serious.
hurleyp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fortunately, it looks patchable.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
Very Happy
xarvox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its great news that the bug is being patched, but unfortunately it will take some time before the update is available as installable firmware (im on asus rt-n13u (first version).

So is there any way for me to patch an existing installation, or possibly the firmware update .bin-file?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
xarvox wrote:
Its great news that the bug is being patched, but unfortunately it will take some time before the update is available as installable firmware (im on asus rt-n13u (first version).

So is there any way for me to patch an existing installation, or possibly the firmware update .bin-file?

Yes: compiling a DD-WRT build (code is public). But, be warned: compiling DD-WRT is very difficult for beginners. And even if you succeed, there is no guarantee that the build will work for your device.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:

Thanks. I do not understand the codes enough to appreciate how much this changeset has patched. BS hasn't hinted at a particular CVE in the comment, but it feels hopeful all of these seem related to the and wpa and wpa_auth codes.

I can see snippets like: wpa_auth_sta_ft_tk_already_set(sta->wpa_sm) ...

Do these change effectively force a re-key with new handshake everytime clients reconnect?
xarvox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
so.. no-go for me then.. (me iz n00b..)

Any guestimates how long it will take for an official update?
Days? weeks? months?

Im sincerely grateful that folks are devoting their time and effort in making a free firmware for my router and i really dont want to be the nagging S.o.B, but its kind of a big deal, not having a network security..
Especially since i´ll get punished by law if someone else does some bad shit thru my wifi..

i read somewhere that the vulnerability needs to be fixed booth on router and on clients, is this true?
RyDogg1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Watching this thread for any updates to the firmware. Would like to see a patch integrated in to future builds.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
More details for hostapd:
https://w1.fi/security/2017-1/wpa-packet-number-reuse-with-replayed-messages.txt
xarvox wrote:
Well, it'll be in the next build, which I'd suspect will be soon (in the next week), so keep an eye on ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/
to grab it from the /asus-rtn13u/ directory.

Of course as you know, monitor the appropriate New Build thread to make sure there isn't an issue first. Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
xpxp2002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragonC wrote:
slobodan wrote:

Thanks. I do not understand the codes enough to appreciate how much this changeset has patched. BS hasn't hinted at a particular CVE in the comment, but it feels hopeful all of these seem related to the and wpa and wpa_auth codes.

I can see snippets like: wpa_auth_sta_ft_tk_already_set(sta->wpa_sm) ...

Do these change effectively force a re-key with new handshake everytime clients reconnect?

Looks like the state tracking is fixed during rekey to mark when the new PTK is installed.
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
xpxp2002 wrote:
Looks like the state tracking is fixed during rekey to mark when the new PTK is installed.

Thanks. Do you know the behavior when the new PTK installation is detected? Does it basically reset and forcibly regenerate a new PTK?

And, what happens if there is not a new PTK installation? (somehow I got the impression that the point of this KRACK is the same secret and be used over and over and over again even for new client/AP handshake -- but honestly I do not fully understand it).
xpxp2002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
dragonC wrote:
xpxp2002 wrote:

Thanks. Do you know the behavior when the new PTK installation is detected? Does it basically reset and forcibly regenerate a new PTK?

And, what happens if there is not a new PTK installation? (somehow I got the impression that the point of this KRACK is the same secret and be used over and over and over again even for new client/AP handshake -- but honestly I do not fully understand it).

Without getting into too much detail, this code implements the recommendations made in the research paper.

The primary change to note is that the code now keeps track of the TK being installed so that duplicate "message 3" (3/4 of the handshake) do not result in multiple installations of the same key, which is how the replay counter was being reset. Instead, the code simply skips the duplicate key installation and responds back with message 4, as the 802.11i spec requires.
dragonC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
xpxp2002 wrote:
dragonC wrote:
xpxp2002 wrote:

Without getting into too much detail, this code implements the recommendations made in the research paper.

The primary change to note is that the code now keeps track of the TK being installed so that duplicate "message 3" (3/4 of the handshake) do not result in multiple installations of the same key, which is how the replay counter was being reset. Instead, the code simply skips the duplicate key installation and responds back with message 4, as the 802.11i spec requires.

Thank you! This is a plenty clear high-level explanation (I won't understand enough to appreciate the details - thanks for summing the key points up).

There is an updated build in <Kong>'s Test area. Not sure if it contains the patch:
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: