Upgrading or flashing FW builds from remote location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
WiFi_Cowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48    Post subject: Upgrading or flashing FW builds from remote location Reply with quote
This topic seems taboo because we are all told to only upgrade build FW with a directly connected computer, not to do it over wireless, blah blah blah.

So with that being said, is this link still valid? (it was probably written in 2006)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Upload_The_Firmware
I'm mostly interested in Section 3.3 of this wiki page, 'Flashing with Command Line'. Has anyone done this recently and if yes, was the upgrade / downgrade successful without any factory resets or hardware bricking?

I'm fluent working with and in Linux, I have a good comfort zone on what this wiki is saying you have to do. I have external HD storage mapped to \opt and \jffs so I'm thinking I could load up 2 or 3 different builds on top of the r31924 I'm curtly running in case I needed to fall back.

I do have family that are just tech savvy enough that I can walk them thru a FW upgrade. But when I researched and came across this, it started me thinking that a FW flashing can be done by a remote location.

Any thoughts on this, pro's or con's, viability...etc?

Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18    Post subject: Re: Upgrading or flashing FW builds from remote location Reply with quote
WiFi_Cowboy wrote:
This topic seems taboo because we are all told to only upgrade build FW with a directly connected computer, not to do it over wireless, blah blah blah.

So with that being said, is this link still valid? (it was probably written in 2006)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Upload_The_Firmware
I'm mostly interested in Section 3.3 of this wiki page, 'Flashing with Command Line'. Has anyone done this recently and if yes, was the upgrade / downgrade successful without any factory resets or hardware bricking?

I'm fluent working with and in Linux, I have a good comfort zone on what this wiki is saying you have to do. I have external HD storage mapped to \opt and \jffs so I'm thinking I could load up 2 or 3 different builds on top of the r31924 I'm curtly running in case I needed to fall back.

I do have family that are just tech savvy enough that I can walk them thru a FW upgrade. But when I researched and came across this, it started me thinking that a FW flashing can be done by a remote location.

Any thoughts on this, pro's or con's, viability...etc?

If there is a PC available on the remote site(s), wouldn't it be safer to use TeamViewer to remote in and then perform the router upgrade "locally"?

Sure you would loose your TV link at some point during the upgrade, but at least you know that the upgrade was successful as and when the TV link recovers. You would also know that the F/W image was good prior to commencing the upgrade, as you can use TV to deploy it to site.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: