WRT150n - Question about internal voltage TPs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Sailor99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:59    Post subject: WRT150n - Question about internal voltage TPs Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but this site is the only one I could find that seems to have any technical knowledge of this router.

There is a longer story behind my question, but I'll keep it real short for now. I have configured my stock-standard 150n for use as an access point. There was a bit of stuffing around (technical term ), leading to it stopping responding completely, before I found out that the 5-second reset instruction in the manual needed to be vastly longer. Ok, all good, I recovered it and configured it properly (changed IP to work with the gateway, disabled DHCP, and reserved the IP in the gateway), and it all works fine. Multiple laptops accessing the WiFi, and a couple of desktops plugged into the LAN ports, my gateway maps them all and everyone can see each others shares, and so on.

But the power led, which used to work normally, is now stone dead - not the slightest glimmer at any time at all. I have measured all the voltage bus TPs, and TP5 is odd:

TP1 silkscreen 12v actual 13.36v
TP2 silkscreen 3v3 actual 3.29v
TP3 silkscreen 2v5 actual 2.51v
TP4 silkscreen 1v25 actual 1.27v
TP5 silkscreen 1v8 actual 2.24v

Does anyone have any information (like circuits, or even what the TP5 bus is for)? Nothing is running hot. Does the power led indicate that all voltages are ok, or just the main 3v3?
The serial number is CQ601G635770. The pcb silkscreen says Rev C.

TIA
Sponsor
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using the stock firmware?

Or are you using a (different) DD-WRT firmware?

If the power LED is connected directly to one of the power sources, then perhaps the LED (or resistor) is bad or has lost a solder point.

Perhaps the power LED is actually controlled by a gpio pin. If so, then the correct gpio pin might not be used in the DD-WRT firmware.

Hope these thoughts might help you to continue your discovery process to find a fix/answer.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The power led is on a gpio on most (if not all) routers.

That is why / how it blinks when the router is booting.

Over the years, it has been reported that dd-wrt didn't handle the gpio's (leds) properly on certain builds / certain routers. The devs would sometimes ask users to test the gpio's.

All that said, you can search for how to enable / disable gpio's to test.

If it is a big deal, just flash stock Linksys firmware back to test and see if the led lights up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 14:07    Post subject: Re: WRT150n - Question about internal voltage TPs Reply with quote
The reset is application code dependent. If you're using DD, which it sounds like you are not, (iirc) it looks for the reset to be pressed for 10sec.
Sailor99 wrote:
But the power led, which used to work normally, is now stone dead - not the slightest glimmer at any time at all. I have measured all the voltage bus TPs, and TP5 is odd:

TP1 silkscreen 12v actual 13.36v
TP2 silkscreen 3v3 actual 3.29v
TP3 silkscreen 2v5 actual 2.51v
TP4 silkscreen 1v25 actual 1.27v
TP5 silkscreen 1v8 actual 2.24v
Ya that's even outside of a 20% tolerance; are you able to test your capacitors w/ an ESR meter? I've had many fail in older routers, unfortunately none showed any visible signs.

Have you measured voltage at the power LED? Or try applying 3-5V to it offline.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
A wrt150n is in my test pile of routers and I did not see any problems with the power LED on it in the latest build

What dd-wrt build are you using I believe there was a bug filed on this years ago that was fixed for that model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: