Asus RT-AC66U TX & RX Antenna Chain to all antennas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 18:47    Post subject: Asus RT-AC66U TX & RX Antenna Chain to all antennas? Reply with quote
With either the stock or dd-wrt firmware does this have the ability to assign Tx & Rx only modes to all three antennas? As in ; Auto/Tx only/Rx only.
Lastly, are there separate controls for each band?

The wireless function is secondary and I don't want to use the center antenna due to close clearance with the WAN/LAN ports. Also, the Router is mounted on a wall, except for the top antenna, the others can't be truly vertical.

Last edited by videobruce on Sat Jan 13, 2018 18:50; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You asked the same question about the archer c7. I don't understand what the problem with the antenna close proximity to the LAN port is?
You can't get your Ethernet cord plugged in because of the middle antenna? I don't quite understand it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two different chipsets, I don't know if that would make a difference as to what options are available which is why I asked it for two completely different models in their respective sub-forums.

It can be connected, but it's overly crowded and IFAIC there isn't a need for that third antenna port, diversity or not which really is immaterial since it is a separate topic. Correct?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still don’t understand what you mean by overcrowded? You want to physically remove the antenna because it gets in the way of your Ethernet cables?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to use the jack assuming it has the ability like the TP-Link 3600 has to assign a Rx only to that jack and terminate it as you would with most unused RF ports that are or can be active.
hubermania
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might consider using an RP-SMA extension cable to relocate the middle antenna. I've not seen options to toggle individual antennas on the '66.

If you're router shopping, the RT-AC56U has internal antennas and a much beefier CPU.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not external antennas that is the issue (never was), it's the 3rd middle one. Removeanle, external antennas is one feature that sets this apart from probably 3/4 of the Routers out there. I wouldn't buy a Router that only had internal antennas.
I do have a remote antenna on a 3' cable that is being used.

I'm just surprised that Asus/dd-wrt doesn't have this option to control the mode of each antenna port when older, less sophisticated models do. Sad
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, you got me there as the wireless function is secondary and I have not read up of these newer wireless features. As soon as I saw "Phased_array" in that link, nothing more needed to be said. Wink

Do you know if the middle port is both Tx & RX or is it RX only? Also, how much control of these 'latest & greatest' functions does one have?
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been reading all the posts (here) regarding TP-Link with their locked firmware from late 2015 (that I found out the hard way Evil or Very Mad )

Thanks for all of that, it puts things in a different perspective. They come up with all of these 'improvements', then they use internal antennas just because 'Joe Six Pack' (or should I say 'Jill Six Pack') doesn't want to see external antennas.

And those are the EXACT same ones that whine about lousy coverage and/or slow wireless connections. All you have to do is look thru the one & two start reviews over at Amazon. Rolling Eyes
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
For Beamforming & MIMO to work fully (correctly), these routers have to be on a flat surface (horizontal), not wall mounted (vertical), correct?
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok for the top antenna when it's mounted on the wall, but surely not for the middle or bottom. Best they would be on a diagonal angle.

Since you brought all of that up, it seems that for many, those 'latest & greatest' features wouldn't be unless you have WAP's (or extenders) on each floor. Wink

That's why wireless is secondary in my book.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I clarified my OP since the term "mode" could of meant other things.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Facing up, problems with cables hanging down in front of the unit putting stress on the fittings.
Facing down, antennas are in parallel with cables hanging down with potential for interference. Also, where this is located the indicator lights would not be easily visible.

Of course you can try to come up with some make shift way of supporting the cables at right angles. If it was hidden, then maybe not a problem, but this isn't.

Or buy three, remote mount antennas with cables & the correct fittings. That's assuming the router has removable antennas in the first place which, depending on the quality, come close to the cost of the Router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: