ML-PPP support ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
pvanb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
rykr: Please do post an update. That's precisely the issue that's been discussed here for the last year wrt the micro build. The pieces appear to be in place for it to work, yet for some reason it doesn't on the micro build.

webcan: I believe the request was for WAN dumps from the router: one with the standard build installed and ml-ppp enabled, one with the micro build installed and ml-ppp enabled.
Sponsor
rykr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it help if I posted a dump of my router by any chance? I could probably figure out how.

The instructions from Sash say: "add a hub to the wan port add your pc and create a connection dump with eg wireshark"

I am not sure though exactly what I am supposed to do for the first part. "add a hub to the wan port add your pc". I currently have my DSL modem connected to the WAN port on the router and my computer is connected to Port 1 on the router. Is this not the way it should be?

I noticed Fedora has wireshark in the repos so I am installing it to see what it is.

I am not the only person using our internet. My wife has a Windows 7 laptop going through wireless. I suppose I would have to kick her out while I do the dump?

Also, how exactly to I create the dump? Do I open wireshark, let it read packets from my eth0 port and then go to File > Export as Plain Text? Will I have to let it run for a second? A minute? An hour?

If it even matters since I only have a 2 meg device I think. I could be wrong though.
rykr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, they emailed us saying MLPPP was enabled and gave us a new login. Now if I check the Single Line Multi Link checkbox in DD-WRT it does not connect to my DSL and I am unable to see anything in the messages file about it.

I dug out my old hub, which is actually a 24 port 3Com LinkBuilder FMS II. So I don't know if that would do the right thing or not but that's what I have.

So, I tried creating dumps but I am not sure if I did them properly or where I should send them. Is it safe/secure to attach them to this post? Or should I send them to someone in a PM?

dump1 - I plugged a cable from port1 of the hub to the WAN port on the router. I then plugged the ethernet cable from my comps eth0 port to port2 of the hub.

dump2 - I plugged a cable from port1 of the hub to the WAN port of the router. I plugged the ethernet cable from my comps eth0 port to port1 of the router.

dump3 - same as the dump2 but I made my computer try to use DHCP instead of having it set to the static IP.

Basically I have the same problem as others do now. Connects with my new login when unchecked and doesn't connect when checked. Unfortunately I cannot find any other 3rd party firmware I can put on my router that supports MLPPP since my router is only 2MB so I can't even say if another firmware makes MLPPP actually work or not.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
To:"rykr" HI! If I were to upload/attach a file to the post I would compress it first ( With ZIP or RAR ).

This allows confinement and then the file can be easily scanned with an anti-virus program either manually or by means of a queue.

Paul

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
rykr wrote:

dump2 - I plugged a cable from port1 of the hub to the WAN port of the router. I plugged the ethernet cable from my comps eth0 port to port1 of the router.

Where is the other end of the hub going?
Where is the modem connected to?

Assuming that having the modem connected is necessary for the test.

I think we may need a little more information on how to accomplish this task.

Can someone please throw us a bone here? Pretty Please :)

Paul

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just wondering if these packet things can be used maliciously by someone but it doesn't look like any sensitive info is enclosed such as passwords or anything that I can see.

I have them attached as a zip. They are .txt and .cap files from wireshark. I don't know if I created them properly but if not just let me know what I have to do or if these will even work.
rykr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Where is the other end of the hub going?
Where is the modem connected to?

Yeah, thats the thing, if the hub is connected to the WAN port, I have no idea what to put the modem into. So it was not connected. That is one reason I didn't know if I was doing it properly but I was just trying to give them what they asked for. If it isn't right I have no problems doing some more changing of cables and connecting things wherever they have to go. Very Happy
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
add a hub to the wan port add your pc and create a connection dump with eg wireshark

I am more than willing to do this task but there are to many unanswered questions and I am not sure whether you mean a new configuration or an addition to my present configuration.

I have attached my present configuration in the form of a diagram.

Paul D

http://www.webcandesign.com/temp/Mlppp%20Wan%20Dump%20Diagram.png

[/img]

Mlppp Wan Dump Diagram.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.32 KB
 Viewed:  24299 Time(s)

Mlppp Wan Dump Diagram.png

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI! Assuming that there must be a connection I have concluded that it must be or similar to the following.

My conclusion is based on the way a simple hub works as when a packet arrives at one port, it is copied to the other ports so that all segments of the LAN can see all packets

Can someone please confirm the diagram below?

Paul D

Mlppp Wan Dump Diagram1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.71 KB
 Viewed:  24294 Time(s)

Mlppp Wan Dump Diagram1.png

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice charts :)

I will try it like that and see if I can get the modem to connect like that then and make a dump that way. Though not sure what good it will do if no devs are willing to deal with this issue anymore anyway.

Also I could use tcpdump command to make a dump of something if someone gives me the command to run that gives you the info you want, providing my wires are hooked up the way you want.
rykr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to capture packets with a setup like that but the problem is I am not sure what to set my IP to on my computer then. In my NetworkManager program there are many settings I can choose and I tried many of them but I don't think it is getting the packets Sash wanted. Many times it doesn't get any packets at all. Sometimes it will only show packets of the eth trying to set an IP or something but nothing happens when I click connect.

If it helps any, it seems that maybe the router gets reset or something when I click Connect with the MLPPP option on because I lose my wireless signal and the lights go off and come back on on the router.

So back to the drawing board... Speaking of which, I made a chart of my own in Inkscape to show you how I tried my setup.

I don't have two eth ports on my comp (its just a laptop) but I do have wireless so I was able to browse the router with that so that I could change the MLPPP setting and try clicking connect. The rest is pretty self-explanatory in the diagram.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
rykr wrote:
Nice charts Smile

Thanks, I did it in fireworks. I inserted a link in the first post of the chart so anyone can use it. its grouped in layers so one must ungroup it to modify the inner text.

A picture is worth a thousand words :)

rykr wrote:

not sure what good it will do if no devs are willing to deal with this issue anymore.

It would be to the devs advantage to get this to work, Tomato has had this feature for quick a while now. Although DD-WRT does have other features that tomato lacks in, having the mlppp feature would greatly add towards putting the dd-wrt firmware to the very top of the list. (meaning 1st place).

What would definitely get them 1st place (In addition to mlppp)is to enhance the "QOS" section (as this is there weakest point mentioned in many reviews) and the restriction area (I mentioned this in one of my other posts.)(
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81265&highlight=)).

As of now (from what I have read) DD-WRT and Tomato are tied with "openwrt" running 3rd place.

Hmmm, This post is starting to sound a lot like a review. I think I will stop now Smile
------------------

As far as the hook up goes, Get what you can and upload it for now, I guess we will have to wait for a response from either "Sash" or "BrainSlayer".

Paul D

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI! You need to have a cable from you laptop to the one of the router's ports so that DHCP can negotiate an ip.

Might be possible with two laptops though. The second laptop can be used to only intercept this data so that wireshack can create an output on the second laptop.

All you would have to do (I think) would be to use my setup but change the cable that's going from the hub to "eth2" so that goes from teh hub to your second laptop. then run wireshark from the second laptop.

PS. Nice Chart :)

Paul D

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will try that with my wifes windows 7 laptop and post back what happens then but I don't know how well it will work. My hub doesn't actually have a WAN port or anything in it. Not sure if that matters or not. It just has 24 ports that seem to connect together I guess.

I don't know what I should set the IP settings to my computers. Maybe I should set them as static IPs but then I assume I have to have some sort of gateway or something.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI! before you do anything you should read this link.
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/PPP

It states the following.
"The installed WinPcap version is critical for PPP capturing; we strongly recommend that you install the 3.1 release, see the WinPcap page for details."

another thing is that I am confused why your mentioning the wan port on the hub? there is no wan port on the hub, your thinking of the router right? to make it clearer I will re-upload the diagram to make sure we are both be on the same page.

Paul D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: