ML-PPP support ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would keep your ip setting to there defaults.

Internet Protocol Properties:
"Obtain an IP address automatically" should be checked.
"Obtain DNS server address automatically. should be checked.

Mlppp Wan Dump Diagram2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.4 KB
 Viewed:  25757 Time(s)

Mlppp Wan Dump Diagram2.png

rykr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I am on Fedora 14 on my laptop where Wireshark is installed (though tcpdump is probably better I am guessing if I knew what commands to type for them). I suppose this would be laptop 2.

Windows 7 on laptop 1.

I set it up exactly as you had in your diagram, minus the Hotspot 1 since I don't have any such thing. I tried connecting with MLPPP enabled and no connection at all, of course. I do get a single packet captured in Wireshark. Perhaps this is what they want. I am not sure if its a coincidence that it shows up or not but its something and I think it might be coming from the modem. I attached it just incase anyway.

There is a note on the link you gave that with Linux captures you won't be able to see the PPP headers. So maybe this means this is useless to try on Linux if that info is what they are after.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI! I guess there is not much more you can do unless someone else (like one of the Guru's or DEVS)instructs you what to do.

I will setup on my end tomorrow, will see what I get.

Till then

Paul D

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I believe I was able to connect to MLPPP though my fedora install but was unable to figure out how to properly share my connection. My wireless card doesn't support Master mode so I can't use WPA2 encryption but I can use Adhoc mode but with WEP but still can't figure out how to share internet properly.

So this router seems like my only hope now other than just going out and buying a new one. I wonder what a good router is these days that can use dd-wrt as well as tomato and openwrt and others just so I can have a much better chance to make MLPPP work.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI! As far as routers go The Linksys WRT54GL "IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router" is a popular choice. Around 74.99 at newegg.ca

I have the ASUS WL-520gU IEEE 802.3/3u/3x, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Router with All-in-One Print Server/ DD-WRT Open Source support

I have had this router for about 6 months now and have flashed the router about 40 to 50 times (Through my learning and testing curve)and never had a problem with the router. Since I got the hotspot settings right I have not needed to reboot the router in about 2 months and its still rock solid.

There is 6 users on this router right now as I write this post. Its about the average. but I got 11 in all and its growing which is why I need MLPPP.

My friend who also has this router using tomato has not rebooted his router Since he bought it (About 6 months ago).

Asus also has this flash recovery tool making it almost Brick Proof.

Around 39.99 at newegg.ca

ps. Although the Asus router is a very good router for the price, The Asus customer service department has had some bad reviews by customers at newegg.

PaulD

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, thats perfect, I was strongly considering an ASUS router and now I think you have confirmed my choice =) Whenever I have some exta cash I will have to get one.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I have been reading and posting questions on other forums about this "connection dump" and I am getting different answers, and since I don't understand what "Sash" is saying in the statement "add a hub to the wan port add your pc" it makes it even more confusing for me.

another thing is that I though I had a HUB but its another router. (D-Link dl-406). I asked on other forums if I could get it to work with this router but that's when I starting getting different answers and it got a whole lot too confusing for this cat.

So unless I get a more detailed explanation or someone else picks up the tab, I'm deadlocked.

Paul D Sad

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I am not getting very good replies on other forums either. It sounds to me like MLPPP is probably just missing some dependencies in the micro DD-WRT install. Someone was saying they manually tried to shrink an OpenWRT install down to 2MB but it didn't work because of all the dependencies MLPPP requires so they gave up.

I can get it to connect fine on my comp through MLPPP though and I have no idea what dependencies it requires other than pppd. Was also trying to see if my SpeedTouch 516v6 would connect up to MLPPP but it doesn't seem to do it either. Or at least I have no idea how to make it anyway.

Oh well, some day I will have enough cash for one of those ASUS routers and I will chuck the old one in a box I guess.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
rykr wrote:
I Was also trying to see if my SpeedTouch 516v6 would connect up to MLPPP but it doesn't seem to do it either.

HI! are you referring to your modem?

Paul D

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, my modem. It said something about bundles in the manuals but when I log into it there is no such commands available.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI! All dsl modems all compatible with mlppp. Its the routers that control the mlppp game.

Perhaps there is anther reason why it was not working.

I read up on your modem and there is technical reason why it should not work according to others.

Paul

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think the modem works properly to connect to MLPPP. When I was trying to connect through the router I put the modem into bridge mode and it wouldn't connect. But I could still connect with it in bridge mode connected to my computer. I am running Fedora 14 on here. I love it.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you seen this? Its a video on how to configure two lines with mlppp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoJ12ByutY

Now, as for setup..
1: If you have 1 modem, you just use it normally in the WAN port of the Router.

2: If you have 2 modems, you use the first modem in the WAN port and the 2nd modem in the first LAN port (right beside it)

Follow the video to set the appropriate MLPPP setting in the Router.

Two phone lines are needed in option 2, dryloops or standard dsl or a combination of the two in addition to having 2 modems.

Paul D

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I could install Tomato on my router I would but it requires 4MB ram or more and doesn't fit on 2MB so I am out of luck. The only hope is DD-WRT.

I am only using Single Line MLPPP which is why I thought DD-WRT micro would work.

I guess if I really need MLPPP I will just hook it up directly to my computer. I just can't share internet off my wireless due to some crappy Firmware.

Sooner or later I will get an ASUS or something and use Tomato or OpenWRT if DD-WRT micro never works on the current one with MLPPP. TekSavvy seems to be using Tomato for everyone else anyway so maybe it just has different settings or something that allow it to connect properly, so who really knows.
webcan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am going to try the mlppp on two lines sometime after January. If I have too many problems I might just load tomato on the main gateway and then load dd-wrt on the hotspot router.

Modem1-->Modem2-->main gateway(with tomato)-->Hotspot router(dd-wrt) connected to 3 port of main gateway router.

If it works then this would be the best of both worlds.

Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: