Firmware Kit - Strip Mini Version More

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jmoschetti45
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38    Post subject: Firmware Kit - Strip Mini Version More Reply with quote
I'm running dd-wrt.v24-15452_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt160nv3.bin right now.

Here's what makes this interesting:

The WRT160Nv3's wireless portion is dead. Not sure what killed it, but with stock firmware any attempt to connect to the wifi would lock the router up. Does the same with DD-WRT, so it's some hardware issue.

So, how much stuff could I strip out of the firmware to make some extra space? I figure there's a bunch of stuff that's not needed.

Also, the router has a static IP connected to another router, and doesn't do anything with DHCP either. Wouldn't need any DSL related connection stuff either.

I know this is probably a non-productive task, but it'd be nice to have a bit more free space so I can toss some sort of micro httpd on with a small static web page, with SMB access to modify it.

More or less, I've explored the router vis SSH a bit, and found some things I know can go (ex: wrt-radauth, plus stripping comments from a lot of files).

I've grabbed and used the firmware toolkit, but there's no way (that I know of) to simply remove large portions of the original software.

Anybody have any suggestions? The more I can trim out the better.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: