[Help] Configure TFTP Server & PXE-Boot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
twig123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 23:24    Post subject: [Help] Configure TFTP Server & PXE-Boot Reply with quote
Hi All,

I'm just starting out with DD-WRT on my Linksys E3000, so I don't know a lot (Using dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000.bin). I read over the "Optware, The Right Way" and this is what I have done so far, but need some more help:

(Telnet'd into 192.168.1.1)
Code:
wget -O /tmp/prep_optware http://wd.mirmana.com/prep_optware
sh /tmp/prep_optware
service xinetd on
service xinetd start
service transmission on
service transmission start
service twonky stop
service twonky off
reboot
This is the only thing I've done so far...

1) I don't get how to use Samba2 SWAT. I go to http://192.168.1.1:901 and get prompted for a user/pass, but what is it?! how do I set it?!
(I can access \\192.168.1.1\Public\ with no problems)

2) I have a PXE boot menu currently setup on my computer using tftpd32. I like to use the router as the PXE-Boot/TFTP Server instead and host the files on the USB Drive attached to the router. How do I set this up and where do I place the files on the router/USB Drive?

In the PXE Wiki, it says to edit "Additional DNSMasq Options", but only gives an example for redirecting to a computer and doesn't say how to completely run it off of the router. Do I just put "dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0"?

Thanks

Last edited by twig123 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 23:05; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
twig123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just upgraded to:
dd-wrt.v24-15453_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-e2k-e3k.bin

Now I am able to access Samba SWAT with:
User: root
Pass: (same as WebGUI/Telnet)
So, I am now able to access Samba SWAT! :)

I'm still failing to enable the TFTP Server...
The Wiki states:
Code:
"You can start a tftp server serving files from "/opt/tftpboot". This may prove useful for upgrading firmwares for embedded devices. Due to space constraints this feature is currently not supported. Use the optware package instead and disable the built-in dnsmasq service.

enable-tftp
tftp-root=/opt/tftpboot"

So, this tells me that the TFTP server has been disabled and to use one from Optware. I am new to this and don't know how to correctly install/configure a TFTP Server from optware.

From telnet, I type this:
"ipkg-opt list|grep tftp"
and get a listing for atftp, linksys-tftp and tftp-hpa. I have tried installing atftp and also tftp-hpa, but after doing so I don't see any new services running (by typing "service" in telnet). This is getting frustrating since I don't know a whole lot...

is there anyone that has a TFTP Server up and running on their DD-WRT Router that can help me?
twig123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so I got this partially working...
I installed tftp-hpa using:
"ipkg-opt install tftp-hpa"

I was then able to move my PXE files to /opt/tftpboot and now when trying to PXE-boot the router serves up the "pxelinux.0" file and then "/opt/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default". Now I get my main PXE-boot menu, however none of the other sub-menu's or backgrounds will load... Now, given the same exact PXE-boot menu/files work with no problem from a windows based server (tftpd32).

I'm stumped and and have yet to get ANY help...
Anyone have any ideas?
eangulus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to know more about this too.

Currently I use MultibootUSB to boot ISO files for installations and repairs.

It uses a Grub menu system similar to the tftp boot menu when booting via PXE to a linux server.

I would love to move that USB drive to the Router and boot via PXE bringing up the menu and running my stuff from that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: