[Fixed] Can't access Web-UI. Subnet mask set wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
RJOflodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 14:45    Post subject: [Fixed] Can't access Web-UI. Subnet mask set wrong Reply with quote
Re-posting it here. Posted it at the General Question since I thought it is not a hardware issue. Anyway, here it is..
Quote:
Hey guys! So I set my router's (TP-Link WR940N) subnet mask to 0.0.0.0 thinking that my ISP's gonna set it for me just like with the DNS when set to 0.0.0.0. Learned just 30 minutes ago that that's not how it works. Now I can't access anything via the router.

Also, I disabled the reset button in the Web-UI. So I can't just reset it to the default state by pressing the reset button at the back of the router. I also tried the Hard Reset 30-30-30 but nothing. Did it multiple times but no luck.

Is there a workaround here? Even just an access to the Web-UI? Or resetting is the only option?

I'm really new to this. So I'm sorry if it's really dumb.

PS - English isn't my first language so please bear with me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit - I just remembered that I've only hit the "Apply Settings" button after setting the subnet mask and not the "Save" button. So it should go back to the previous settings when I rebooted the router, right? But weirdly it didn't.

Edit 2 - So just to be more clear. The one that I've edited was the option under the wireless settings submenu and not under the wan/setup. So I think the router is still connecting fine to the internet as the light indicator is saying.

Last edited by RJOflodor on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:21; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you getting an IP address?

You could also try to tftp an update.

Do you have a serial connection set up?

Have you tried telnet or ssh?
RJOflodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Are you getting an IP address?

You could also try to tftp an update.

Do you have a serial connection set up?

Have you tried telnet or ssh?

Thanks for the response.

I have no idea how to do those but I'll look it up. I actually disabled telnet and ssh for security as I've read somewhere here.

As for the IP:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : [hidden]
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c4ab:a451:a348:cd86%7(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.205.134(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 284446000
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-A6-29-B7-F4-4D-30-AF-D7-89
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I am connecting via LAN btw.

Edit - Update: Tried the TFTP (Simple UI .exe) but it keeps saying "Failed to resolve the host address". Maybe because the Default Gateway address above is empty. Even tried the default DD-WRT address (192.168.1.1) but same result.

Edit 2 - Edit - I just remembered that I've only hit the "Apply Settings" button after setting the subnet mask and not the "Save" button. So it should go back to the previous settings when I rebooted the router, right? But weirdly it didn't.

Edit 3 - So just to be more clear. The one that I've edited was the option under the wireless settings submenu and not under the wan/setup. So I think the router is still connecting fine to the internet as the light indicator is saying.

Thanks for trying to help.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
RJOflodor wrote:

Edit 2 - Edit - I just remembered that I've only hit the "Apply Settings" button after setting the subnet mask and not the "Save" button. So it should go back to the previous settings when I rebooted the router, right? But weirdly it didn't.

Sadly for you "Save" allows you to navigate the webif changing settings and saving without actually applying them.
You do not have to click SAVE before APPLY SETTINGS but it is a good idea.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So based on the output you gave, you are getting link-local addresses from your OS, which means it is not receiving anything from the router.

Do you remember what the lan ip (aka in DDWRT the "Local IP Address") of the router is?

You will probably have to set a static IP and connect to the router's ip address directly
RJOflodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Do you remember what the lan ip (aka in DDWRT the "Local IP Address") of the router is?

No I don't. Is it not 192.168.1.1? I didn't change any ip numbers in the settings.
Wildlion wrote:
You will probably have to set a static IP and connect to the router's ip address directly.

Tried random numbers from 192.168.1.2 - 150 but nothing although I tried setting it to 192.168.1.1 and got this [attached] but then it won't accept any combination of name and pass. My own, tp-link's and dd-wrt's name and pass.

Here's the ipconfig that I manually set:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : [hidden]
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.42.104(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1(Duplicate)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes the default is 192.168.1.1 for the router....

so based on the screenshot, it looks like you got to the webpage of the router, did you see the status page when you typed 192.168.1.1 into your browser? or did you disable/password protect that as well?

Since it looks like that you got to the router status page, but you do not know your username/password, there is not much more that I can suggest, because even if you got a serial connection set up, you will still need the password (user name would be root in that case because you are login into the console)

The only things that I can think of left is jtag connection or try to short out/reset the nvram....
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 17:23    Post subject: Pin Shorting - don't do it Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:

so based on the screenshot, it looks like you got to the webpage of the router, did you see the status page when you typed 192.168.1.1 into your browser? or did you disable/password protect that as well?

Since it looks like that you got to the router status page, but you do not know your username/password, there is not much more that I can suggest, because even if you got a serial connection set up, you will still need the password (user name would be root in that case because you are login into the console)

The only things that I can think of left is jtag connection or try to short out/reset the nvram....

Don't Pin short. Just no. As for JTAG, most Atheros routers do not have JTAG. You are wrong about serial, before the linux kernel boots up you can use serial without a username or password (usually have to spam tpl or CTRL+C, or something else to stop the boot process. Then you can issue some bootloader commands or your best option, just flash a DD-WRT version over the one that is there.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 17:30    Post subject: IP Address Reply with quote
Why did you set the IP address on your computer to 192.168.1.1 (same as the router)? There is no reason for that. Set it to 192.168.1.40, for example.

You can recover these routers with Serial and TFTP or you can try what Wildlion is suggesting (Pin shorting and JTAG), neither of which you will have much luck with. Just saying, I have recovered several TP-Links using Serial and TFTP (841 v8, 940N v3, Archer C7 v2, 3600v1, etc). I have experience with these.

I have only pin shorted one router (A Belkin Play N600), the wiki and several other places mentioned that pin shorting was the best way to get the router to boot into recovery mode. It worked, but I only every had to do it on that particular router model.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
RJOflodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Since it looks like that you got to the router status page, but you do not know your username/password

It worked. Just got confused with all the names and passwords I've used before. Thank you buddy!

Wildlion wrote:
so based on the screenshot, it looks like you got to the webpage of the router, did you see the status page when you typed 192.168.1.1 into your browser?

Didn't even realize that that's how it looks in firefox. I thought it was just another error for trying to connect to the router. Just switched to firefox for this because my chrome has a lot of extension/plugins also part of trial and error. Anyway, thanks again.

bushant wrote:
Sadly for you "Save" allows you to navigate the webif changing settings and saving without actually applying them.

You're right but clicking save will make it permanent though right? And apply settings will just show the effect of the new setting which I was trying to do and then if it fails just reboot the router to go back to the prev settings.

ian5142 wrote:
Why did you set the IP address on your computer to 192.168.1.1 (same as the router)? There is no reason for that. Set it to 192.168.1.40, for example.

I know, just got so frustrated but that did it. Yes I tried 192.168.1.(2-50) randomly but no connection.

Fixed now. Thanks guys and happy holidays!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
RJOflodor wrote:

You're right but clicking save will make it permanent though right? And apply settings will just show the effect of the new setting which I was trying to do and then if it fails just reboot the router to go back to the prev settings.

NO -- anything you change and 'Save' will take affect upon reboot.
Most everything you change then 'Save' will take affect when you also 'Apply Settings'

There is NO undo recent settings changes in dd-wrt.
Any changes made and Saved will have to be manually undone and Saved or you would have to use reset button or GUI 'reset to factory defaults'
RJOflodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
RJOflodor wrote:

NO -- anything you change and 'Save' will take affect upon reboot.
Most everything you change then 'Save' will take affect when you also 'Apply Settings'

There is NO undo recent settings changes in dd-wrt.
Any changes made and Saved will have to be manually undone and Saved or you would have to use reset button or GUI 'reset to factory defaults'

Thanks for that! That got me confused and also misunderstood bushant. Exactly why I'm in this hole besides my lack of knowledge. Really thought the 'Apply Settings' is used for testing to see the effect but not save it yet because there's a save button for that. Get what I mean? That got me confused.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's for changing the config on several of the tabs

1. Change the first tab. Press "Save"
2. Change the next tab. Press "Save"
3. Change the last tab. Press "Apply"

When applying, the changes on all tabs are applied.

Have you tried the reset button to reset the router

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-426.html

The address with dd-wrt will be 192.168.1.1
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:26    Post subject: Re: Pin Shorting - don't do it Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

Don't Pin short. Just no. As for JTAG, most Atheros routers do not have JTAG. You are wrong about serial, before the linux kernel boots up you can use serial without a username or password (usually have to spam tpl or CTRL+C, or something else to stop the boot process. Then you can issue some bootloader commands or your best option, just flash a DD-WRT version over the one that is there.

Agreeing with you ian5142, hate the pin short (but if it is broken already and you got nothing else to lose ;P )

You are right about the serial connection I forgot pre-linux kernel boot. Thank you for catching that.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
RJOflodor wrote:
Wildlion wrote:
Since it looks like that you got to the router status page, but you do not know your username/password

It worked. Just got confused with all the names and passwords I've used before. Thank you buddy!

Wildlion wrote:
so based on the screenshot, it looks like you got to the webpage of the router, did you see the status page when you typed 192.168.1.1 into your browser?

Didn't even realize that that's how it looks in firefox. I thought it was just another error for trying to connect to the router. Just switched to firefox for this because my chrome has a lot of extension/plugins also part of trial and error. Anyway, thanks again.

bushant wrote:

ian5142 wrote:

I know, just got so frustrated but that did it. Yes I tried 192.168.1.(2-50) randomly but no connection.

Fixed now. Thanks guys and happy holidays!

Glad to have helped and that it is fixed for you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: