Want to flash Buffalo WBR2-G54; can't telnet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Burningrome
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 19:33    Post subject: Want to flash Buffalo WBR2-G54; can't telnet Reply with quote
Hello folks-

I've read the wiki info on how to flash the WBR2-G54, and added the requisite header to the dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin file (SP1) to flash with the web interface, but haven't done it yet. I tested to make sure I could telnet to the router (192.168.11.1) and realized I can't! The router works fine, I can connect to it at that IP with the http interface and it responds to ping, but can't telnet to it - even when I unplugged the WAN cable so that the only cable going into it was the ethernet cable from my PC to the LAN.
Any ideas why? I don't want to flash if I can't telnet!

Thanks very much if you can help - I appreciate it.
pk
Sponsor
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like you haven't read the wikis etc in any amount of details. If you're planning to upgrade from stick firmware... then you can try till cows fly and you won't be able to telnet. As far as I know, none of the home use router's have Telnet in the stock firmware.
Burningrome
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
So telnet isn't supported in the stock Buffalo firmware? Good to know, thanks.
Where in the wiki does it say that? I've read this:
http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Flash_Your_Buffalo_WBR-G54%2C_WLA-G54%2C_...
and the first time telnet is mentioned is here:
4) After flash:
You will be able to access the router at 192.168.11.1. Do not restore to factory defaults, but you can erase the nvram. Telnet to the router (username: root , password: admin , mtd erase nvram [enter], reboot [enter].

Doesn't say anything about telnet not being available before the installation of DD-WRT. Also searched the whole wiki for "telnet" - no mention of telnet not being supported in any stock firmware. Maybe I should add it?

Last edited by Burningrome on Sat Jun 10, 2006 20:57; edited 1 time in total
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess... u would need to look into the stock firmware documentation to see if Telnet is available or not Smile... anyways... don't worry about telnet... if the wiki sez your model is supported... trust it and flash away... theres always a risk that you'll end up with a brick during upgrade... but... for supported models... you're not facing any more risk than you would be when upgrading a stock firmware.

Edit: Just saw the Wiki... not a supported model..its Work in Progress... unless you have a replacement/backup router... don't try to upgrade untill the firware is officially supported...

Last edited by RizSher on Sat Jun 10, 2006 21:01; edited 1 time in total
Lore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Wiki seems to jump around a bit. I want to upgrade my Buffalo WBR2-G54 as well but I am scared that I will misinterpret a key step and end up bricking the router. Fortunately, the Buffalo is just a back-up router!

I hope that you have success in your attempt; please post tips/steps if you get a chance to document your upgrade attempt.

Thanks!
qsshen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have flashed 2 WBR2-G54. It is the same with WHRs.
just tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT filename.bin
Burningrome
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit hesitant to install as it's not officially supported. I was going to go the web interface method. I used XVI32 hex editor to add the needed header- here's a pic, did I do it right? Smile

I used the v23 SP1 generic from 16-05-06 to edit.
jnjn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
why not use boot wait?
remember to reset to factory default first.
will work like charm. Smile
wcarlson40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will only be able to telnet for a brief moment while powering on (boot wait). See this link on how to do it....
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Flashing_the_Buffalo_WHR-G54S_and_WHR-HP-G54
buffalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just use tftp. It's much easier and no hex editing.

Follow instructions in "Flashing the Buffalo WHR-G54S and WHR-HP-G54" in the Wiki. I believe the WBR2-G54 and WBR2-G54S are now officially supported. The Wiki is a bit outdated there. I would fix it myself, but I don't recall exactly which Buffalo models are official now.
Burningrome
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK - seems most people have done the tftp way on the WBR2-G54, so I'll try that. My order of operations will be:

1) download dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin 16-05-06 (SP1)
2) disconnect WAN and turn off other wireless devices, just leave LAN to PC
3) reset router to Factory Settings
4) not sure about this one : on http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Your_Buffalo_WBR-G54%2C_WLA-G54%2C_...
this page it mentions to
Buffalo WBR2-G54/WBR2-G54S users: Remember to set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 before continuing. These white soap boxes' hardware use this IP address in their bootloader. If you have trouble, flash it first with Generic DD-WRT -firmware, turn off after first boot, and after plugging the power cord back in, wait 2 seconds, press Reset-button, let it enter troubleshoot mode (couple minutes), then power off second time, and power back on and it should work.
so do chance the LAN IP address of the router to 192.168.1.1 before trying tftp? or leave it as 192.168.11.1?
5)run tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin

pray!
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Burningrome wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit hesitant to install as it's not officially supported. I was going to go the web interface method. I used XVI32 hex editor to add the needed header- here's a pic, did I do it right? Smile

I used the v23 SP1 generic from 16-05-06 to edit.

You did OK. Use web gui.
Burningrome
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK : tftp worked great! Thanks for all the advice everyone! What I did was:
-reset to factory settings
-tested router for "boot wait" - when it is receptive to tftp transfer just after power on or INIT button press: started ping -t 192.168.11.1 pressed INIT for 5 sec, watched the pings go from TTL=64 to no response (router restart) to TTL=100 (when router is in boot wait mode and receptive to TFTP). Judging by the pings, it's in "boot wait" for about 5 sec (then it goes back to TTL=64)
-left the pings going, opened another WinXp cmd window in the folder where the firmware.bin was, typed in "tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin " but DIDN'T PRESS ENTER
-then hit the INIT button again, 5 sec, watched the router reboot and the pings go from TTL=64 to no response to TTL=100, as soon as I saw the TTL=100 I hit Enter on the tftp cmd window. Nothing happened for a few seconds on the tftp window but the pings kept going at TTL=100 (normally they stop after about 5 sec)
-after about 10 sec the tftp comes back saying 3300000 bytes transferred in 9 seconds (roughly)
-the pings went from TTL=100 to no response to "hardware error"! as the router reset (about 2 min) - that was scary to see that!
-then after the reset, there was DD-WRT! Worked great!
-one strange thing - in the Wiki
it says once you flash, to telnet to the router and erase nvram. Tried that, and the root/admin passwords didn't work! The router responded to telnet but those passwords didn't work. They did work on the web interface tho, thankfully. So couldn't erase NVram but seems to be OK.
-another thing, in the Wiki someone mentions setting IP to 192.168.1.1, that wasn't the case, throughout the whole process the ip was 192.168.11.1.

thanx again, hope this helps someone else

pk
oscarchd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
thx Burningrome for the info to flash WBR2-G54, i've followed the procedure and got mine flashed without problem...

i think we should hav screenshots for step by step guides as a lot of people (like me) don't understand the wiki quite well... especially the TTL=64 and TTL=100 step which is the most critical part... once understood, it's easy to do...

after flashing i'm able to telnet - root, admin and erase the nvram...
murmur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 22:36    Post subject: Similar post-flash login difficulties - but worse. Reply with quote
I also find that the root/admin login doesn't work. However, it's not only via telnet, but the web access page rejects login attempts as well!

I've tried the 'init' button thing, starting 2 seconds after re-applying power (from the wiki), but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Edit: I'm able to log in now, but I changed two things (actually three) for this last attempt, so I'm not sure which one made the difference. They were:
1) Switched from the May 16 2006 dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin to the
...........................July 12 2006 dd-wrt.v23_vpn_generic.bin
(the latter is here:
(from the "unstable-code" directory tree))
and
2) Switched from LAN port 4 to LAN port 1 on the WBR2-G54
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: