Missing JFFS2 on v24 final/sp1 VPN builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
vandyk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can find the JFFS support on the MEGA package. This can workaround your problem of having the VPN package and JFFS support on the same firmware.
Sponsor
StrikerNL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
vandyk wrote:
You can find the JFFS support on the MEGA package. This can workaround your problem of having the VPN package and JFFS support on the same firmware.

I've noticed this, however this leaves too little space available on the JFFS partition for my purposes. I really just hope a VPN build with JFFS becomes available.
vandyk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my case, to workaround the JFFS avaliable space, I bought a 1GB pendrive (about 7 euros), I enabled the support on it, and I install the applications on the pendrive.

I don't have this working pretty fine, but I know that there a lot of people on forum that has it.

I just don't have it because I'm not a Linux expert (yet Very Happy)
altern8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:58    Post subject: Updates on this? Reply with quote
I spent a good chunk of time on the wiki reading how to setup openvpn + jffs before I bought my new routers. I bought ones that had enough space to be able to use a jffs partition to store configs... and now I discover that the VPN package doesn't even have JFFS anymore?!

I hope to not come off as sounding whiny, but it is more than a little frustrating. :)

So, any updates on this? Eko, did you ever make a custom build of VPN with JFFS?

I checked the repository and it looks like there is only one change since jffs was removed but if a custom build exists I suppose that would suffice.
fencepost
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 17:31    Post subject: VPN-Mega? Reply with quote
What I'd really love to see is a "VPN Mega" that threw OpenSWAN into the mix - I don't need kaid, I could live without chillispot & NoCat, there are probably other items that could be left out without my noticing.

A combination of OpenVPN, OpenSwan, maybe PPTP for that retro feel and of course jffs, cifs, and SD/MMC support to give options for saving configs & keys would just be ideal. Keeping SIP support in there could be good too.

As it is I don't appear to have enough space available in /jffs to install OpenSwan with the Mega build, and it sure looks like dropping back to the VPN build would really cut down on the available jffs space to 0. Starting from Standard and adding packages probably won't work for similar space reasons, and I'd rather not have to install all the packages I want by hand.
nitant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRTSL54GS, which I decided to move to DD-WRT. I spent the whole day, flashing and reflashing and erasing this router, only to find this post AFTER I have OpenWRT working again.

Couldnt the devs have posted the lack of prop jffs2 support in the Installation pages. I mean seriously, is it that hard.

Sorry if I sound pissed off, but I wasted my whole day today on this, trying to get ipkg to work properly.
aaearon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd also like to see the vpn build with jffs support. If whoever was talking about making a custom build with that would do it, I'm sure many would appreciate it.
fencepost
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
In response to my previous note, I was able to get openswan installed by following the instructions from hryamzik in http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23824

Summarizing,
* Ensure you have plenty of space on jffs. Looks like it's going to need around 500k (lib) + 14k (etc) + 1350k (usr) as reported by du.
* Download the packages to /tmp/holding, because ipkg doesn't always download-and-install cleanly
* Use ipkg to install from your temp downloads

I haven't configured this yet, so there may be other oddities. It leaves me with a little space still on jffs, so I can store some configs there.
altern8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
darthboy wrote:
you need to use an older RC7 build. JFFS2 was removed in the newer builds.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FRC7-9346/

I tried to find this image and was unable to locate it. Has it been deleted? I'd be happy to try the RC7 build if it has vpn + jffs if someone can point me to where this might actually live.

I think I might have found it, but there was like NEWT install or something and I don't know what those various extra names mean. I have a WRT54GL and a WRT150N and I'd like to get the same thing running on both.
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
altern8 wrote:

I tried to find this image and was unable to locate it. Has it been deleted? I'd be happy to try the RC7 build if it has vpn + jffs if someone can point me to where this might actually live.

I think I might have found it, but there was like NEWT install or something and I don't know what those various extra names mean. I have a WRT54GL and a WRT150N and I'd like to get the same thing running on both.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24-RC7%2FRC7-9346/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, darthboy. But how do I know which one I should use for my WRT45GL and my WRT150N? I do not know the difference between NEWD and VINT...

I'm still very new to all of this DD-WRT stuff. I really do appreciate all of the help!
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt.v24-9346_NEWD_openvpn for both.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
While it's really nice that V24 SP1 has been released, unfortunately, there is still no JFFS2 on the VPN build of said version.

For this reason, I'm still stuck with V24 RC6.2.

Are there any plans for JFFS2 on VPN or is it better for me just to move on?

Thanks for any response!
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, but SP1 V24, VPN does have jffs2 in it, maybe it just does not have enough space to work, Im looking at the latest configs, and it is turned on..

I take it back, it is turned on in the build configs, but I just loaded it and it is not present...

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
StrikerNL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed it isn't ;)

Also, it would be a bit silly for there to be space on rc6.2, but suddenly not anymore in v24 final/sp1. The hardware obviously hasn't changed in the meanwhile...

Also the firmware barely changed in size. It even shrunk in fact! -- this is v24 sp1:

Code:
dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin: 3698688 bytes

And this is v24 rc6.2 which I still have:

Code:
dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin: 3788800 bytes

Clearly this should not be the problem.

With the rc6.2 that is currently running this is what's reported:

Code:
Total / Free Size
3,904.00 KB / 1,388.00 KB

I don't see why the same should not be possible with v24 SP1.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: