Internet cuts out intermittently over ethernet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:17    Post subject: Internet cuts out intermittently over ethernet Reply with quote
I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 on a Netgear WNDR3700 V4. Roughly every 7 hours, the internet cuts out for about 2 minutes, but I am still able to access the router interface during this time. I have confirmed that my ISP is not at fault

How can I resolve this issue? Any recommendations on which logs to look at would also be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
update your firmware Cool
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/03-05-2020-r42617/netgear-wndr3700v4/
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. I will report back if this fixes the issue.
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have updated the router to DD-WRT v3.0-r42617. After 19 minutes of uptime, the internet cut out. After roughly one minute, I regained access to the internet. In the process of typing this message, the internet cut out again, so it appears that the update has actually exacerbated the problem. Throughout the two incidents, I was able to access the DD-WRT interface.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
what's the rest of your setup like?
How old is your modem?

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am a student at a university, so I connected my router to one of their data jacks. My WAN connection type is "Automatic Configuration - DHCP", and authentication on the network is based on MAC address. When I connect my computer directly to the data jack, I experience no interruptions in internet service.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow, there are so many variables out of your control with that setup that I won't even venture to guess. I would call your IT department and find out how long the DHCP lease is for first.

Then, you need to make sure your router is setup the right way, which I doubt it is now....You're piggybacking off a highly managed network and your router should be a simple switch and access point. All other routing features need to be off.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can see the remaining lease time on Status->WAN.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
smoothmanifold wrote:
authentication on the network is based on MAC address
Did you clone your PC MAC into the WAN MAC of the WNDR3700v4 Question Question Question
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer, my university's network does not permit the use of network switches or splitters, so I don't believe that the router should function only as a simple switch and access point. I will try to find out more information from my university's IT department tomorrow.

Per Yngve Berg, the remaining lease time on Status-> WAN is 30 minutes after pressing "DHCP Release" to get a new DHCP lease.

mrjcd, I am not cloning my PC's MAC address. I have registered my router's MAC address separately on the university network.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't do much about how the network you're connected to is managed, but it could be an overlap between WAN lease time and LAN lease times.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are being required to register every mac address with the school's IT department,then that most likely means that they are static assigning an IP address specific to a MAC address such that wherever you might be on campus and you plug into a port you will get the same IP address. This is how they monitor specific traffic against the MAC address such that if something bad happens or if you're doing something nefarious they can trace back to the specific person.the other option is that they still dynamically assign an IP address, but they're still tracking your Mac address within their system. You should have a discussion with the network administrator at your school to find out how they are administering their Network.that will then help guide you on how you should be setting up your router.

Also, all Mac addresses can be looked up online and your school will know if you are plugging in a router and you're not supposed to be doing that.

As hinted above, if your lan lease time is longer than your wan lease time, you're going to have the issue as you describe in your original post. Again, you need to talk to your network administrator to find out what the ultimate goal they're trying to achieve with their network is. Many schools try to limit the amount of time someone uses their network to prevent people from monopolizing bandwidth; it could also be doing that through your Mac address. It all depends on how they have their network setup and what their goal is.

Like I said, you are connecting to extremely highly managed Network...

[R7800] resting
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I discussed my issues with the IT department today.

The IP address is dynamically allocated within the system, and routers are allowed on the school network. DHCP lease time seems to be 30 minutes for wifi. Unfortunately, they were unable to provide an exact figure for ethernet connections. There is no problem with internet congestion and all students are given access to a symmetric gigabit connection.

According to the IT department, my router's DHCP lease was not renewed during one of the times in which I experienced an internet outage.

I hope this of some use in diagnosing the problem.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would reboot the router and then go to the status>WAN tab and see what the "Remaining Lease Time" is assigned from the school's DHCP server for your WAN. Then, in your settings I would use less than half of whatever the school is assigning to your wan for your router's dhcp server's client lease expiration on the main setup tab.

Hopefully that will allow your clients to request a new IP from your router more often and force "check" for an active IP on the WAN; though indirectly. Usually, the WAN IP will request a new lease when about 50% of the time remains on the lease.

[R7800] resting
smoothmanifold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems that automated systems in the network were killing internet access to my router because two MAC addresses were detected simultaneously when it was connected to the data jack. Soft resetting did not fix the issue. I did not pursue a full resolution because circumstances obviated my need for the router.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: