WRT160N and V24 Firmware... only up to 130Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 20:57    Post subject: Re: wrt160n actually able to utilize the N band? Reply with quote
ssjtiamat wrote:
Well apparently I must be doing something wrong then. I am running v24 sp2 build 13253m. Currently I have the following devices connected to my router (wrt160nv3):
[...]
Now the ONLY thing I have any issues with is the Laptop. The laptop adapter card is 802.11b/g/n and of course i would love to use the N band and take advantage of the increased speeds it offers.

So after the initial flash I noticed that the laptop was only getting 54mbps. So obviously it was not using the N band. So I then switched the router to broadcast only N, thus forcing the laptop to connect with N only. At least in theory. However, whenever I do this the laptop will NOT connect to the router!! Is there a setting I can change or something I may have done wrong that is a common mistake? Or does this version of DD-WRT for this particular router not support N? It would not appear so, considering the contents of this thread.

It would seem that you missed the advice above that N spec requires either WPA2 AES encryption or none at all. Many adapters will drop down to G spec automatically for you when you're using the wrong encryption, but if you disable G spec then they won't be able to connect at all until you fix the encryption type.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

If you need mixed mode with a weaker encryption type for older G spec client, then create multiple WLAN's.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

Sponsor
ssjtiamat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I will give that a shot. Yea.. I did miss that. Let me try this and check out the links you posted and ill get back to ya on the results. Thanks for the help.
ssjtiamat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 0:58    Post subject: Re: wrt160n actually able to utilize the N band? Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
ssjtiamat wrote:
Well apparently I must be doing something wrong then. I am running v24 sp2 build 13253m. Currently I have the following devices connected to my router (wrt160nv3):
[...]
Now the ONLY thing I have any issues with is the Laptop. The laptop adapter card is 802.11b/g/n and of course i would love to use the N band and take advantage of the increased speeds it offers.

So after the initial flash I noticed that the laptop was only getting 54mbps. So obviously it was not using the N band. So I then switched the router to broadcast only N, thus forcing the laptop to connect with N only. At least in theory. However, whenever I do this the laptop will NOT connect to the router!! Is there a setting I can change or something I may have done wrong that is a common mistake? Or does this version of DD-WRT for this particular router not support N? It would not appear so, considering the contents of this thread.

It would seem that you missed the advice above that N spec requires either WPA2 AES encryption or none at all. Many adapters will drop down to G spec automatically for you when you're using the wrong encryption, but if you disable G spec then they won't be able to connect at all until you fix the encryption type.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

If you need mixed mode with a weaker encryption type for older G spec client, then create multiple WLAN's.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

OK... based on your recommendation I checked out both those links. I reconfigured my wrt160 to broadcast "N" as directed in that thread. I also set up a vlan to handle all "G" connections (basically my PS3 and one other desktop using a wrt54g as an access point). So... with all that said I am now curious about the "N" connection specs.

I set it up according to that thread as I said. However the laptop (the device using N) only reports a speed of 150mbps. I know that those N speeds are not Guaranteed to ALWAYS be at 270-300, bur shouldn't I get more than 150? But then again, as that thread pointed out, it could have to do with the TX power and channel. So I will play around with those. But the question I really have is about the IPv4 and IPv6. It only shows 4 as connected and shows 6 as not connected. Do I need to worry about this? I know that before I put the DDwrt on the router, back when I was running the default linksys FW it showed both as connected.

What if anything am I doing wrong? And what info would you need from me (and my system) in order to diagnose my issue.

Thanks in advance for all your help. To anyone who decides to post a reply to my query.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: