610 V2 - Dead lan ports ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00    Post subject: 610 V2 - Dead lan ports ??? Reply with quote
A member sent me his 610 V2 to unbrick (no charge).

Using serial, I can bust into the boot. I can issue the commands to get it to listen for tftp, I can even use the reset button to get it into recovery mode per eko's instructions. Shown in the serial console.. No management screen via browser (lan ports do not work)

The lan port lights up in which the cable is plugged into. My rig states there is a connection to the lan.

This little guy will not respond to pings.. I have done all I can think of.. different lan cable, 1/2 duplex, etc...

Using serial, I issue a "et -i=eth0 up" command to try to get the lan ports up.. I get a response of -0 which means it was a good command.. still nothing.

Pinging I get request time out when the cable is plugged in, or hardware error when the device is off. Not one good response.

I have fixed dozens of these V2's (no charge) and usually, all you need to do is bust into the boot and issue a flash command and launch the tftp utility.. not this guy.

Is there any trick I don't know about or have missed or is this my 1st Crying or Very sad failure? I received it from the owner and the owner was indeed inside the unit.

everything is acting as it should.. just no ping response from the lan ports when there should be.. Jtag is not ready on this bitch yet and even if it were, jtag would be painful at best.. the jtag port is one of the micro ports and no holes.. you would need to use pogo pins on the pads. I have not seen a pogo pin holder yet for the micro header..

Last edited by barryware on Wed Feb 24, 2010 20:32; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like a faulty switch IC or maybe bad soldering of it.

They are the most sensitive part of the router, not only are they usually running very hot (can cause a bad soldering to lose connection) they are also the interface to the outside world and can be damaged by high voltage pulses (static electricity or lightning bolts).

It is interfaced to the cpu with only a few wires, I think it is 4, so take a good look at the pcb traces since the owner has been inside the unit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll check it out.. I did try all the ports. The corresponding lan light did light up.. I have never run across this trouble before before..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I conversed with the owner.. It seems this device was working fine then came up unresponsive with a blinking power light on its own..

It wasn't a bad flash, a config change, or anything like that.

So.. this device may have suffered a hardware failure which is keeping eth0 from communicating with the rest of the router. Using serial, everything is acting like it should. Just no communication with the lan ports even though the lan leds light up when a cable is connected.

I'll fool around with it a bit more but the confidence factor is pretty low.

Navigation

Jump to: