READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST!!! - The correct way to get help!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 23:03    Post subject: READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST!!! - The correct way to get help! Reply with quote
The efficient way to solving your problem

Or, stated differently: the correct way to get support.

The most efficient way to solving your problem, both for you and for the DD-WRT community, is the following.

First, read through the Wiki. Allthough these pages are still (and constantly) under development, they contain a wealth of information. In many cases, your answer is already here.

If the solution you need is really, REALLY not in the wiki, head on to the forum.

The (new) forum is at http://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/index.php
(...since you're here, you know that already...)

The old forum: there was an old forum at http://forum.bsr-clan.de but it seems to have been taken down.

Stop - don't immediately post a new topic! As many, many questions have already been asked and answerred, the forum contains a wealth of information as well. Yes, I may be a little harder to dig up the topic where your problem was treated, but the digging you will do will have a benefit too: you will come accross a lot of useful information on the way.

So, start by doing an extensive search on the forum, using various key words that may lead to the topics that can help you. This will save everyone a lot of time.

Since phpbb's search function is not that great, consider using Google instead of the search built into this forum.In Google's search field, use:

Code:
site:dd-wrt.com "search phrase"

If all the above has not yielded any result, or has left you with more questions, or has only partially helped you - don't hesitate to open a new topic and ask for help, which will be gladly given by the community. Usually, you will have your answer in no time at all.

However, please make sure that you post at least following information to allow the friendly people on the forums to help you:

- what device you are using exactly (brand, type, revision);
    - the exact DD-WRT version used (version number, build date);
    - a short description of what you were trying to do;
    - a short report of what happened;
    - background information (i.e. network setup, wireless setup,...) if applicable.

IF you follow these guidelines, you will surely be helped and will surely find an answer to your problem. If not, and it turns out that you ask a question that 50 people before you have also asked, then you may find that the community is less willing to help you to your answer.

Wink

Last edited by ro-maniak on Fri Mar 13, 2009 16:47; edited 6 times in total
Sponsor
stephen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please make this Sticky!
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed
Embarassed username: root Embarassed
Embarassed password: admin Embarassed
EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Eko....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes, there just isn't a CHANGELOG for every new alpha/beta/unstable version.... Wink
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I thought that maybe it was a good idea to make this sticky, but I'll leave that up to BS...?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
and another tip, THIS ISN'T A CHATROOM!! Occassionally there are the people that get miffed that noone has answered their question yet, it has been 12 minutes! post your question, bookmark the page, and then come back in a couple HOURS.

and keep in mind you may not get an answer to your question. Running ddwrt is pretty much considered the bleeding edge, it is possible you are doing something no one before you has ever considered, so consider yourself the lucky pioneer that is going to be doing alot of research.
codegypsy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:17    Post subject: should be Reply with quote
Maybe I like to chat though :P

./codegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you should go amuse yourself on IRC then... Razz

Oh wait, or go out and meet people.

Oh well. Seriously, a bit of chatting does not hurt I think, but should not be excessive - otherwise the support function of the forum is hurt. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ro-maniak wrote:
Well, I thought that maybe it was a good idea to make this sticky, but I'll leave that up to BS...?

Apparently not. Embarassed Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ha.... ha. Ok, I managed to get 2 ha's out of me. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ro-maniak wrote:
Ha.... ha. Ok, I managed to get 2 ha's out of me. Shocked

This is about discussion (broadcom hardware in this case), which can include dialog not anally limited to the main topic at all times, not simply a "please help me, I fubar'd my router" board, at least that is my view. Perhaps it's an incorrect one. *shrug*:wink:

I don't think anyone wishes to bash exactly what your trying to do per say, however, my question would be, if someone is seeking help, and then:

a) doesn't read the wiki mentioned on the front page, and then doesn't do a search (even a basic one) in the forums for their particular issue, why then would they....
b) read this as a sticky before starting a new/old topic?

Just a thought, Very Happy
Yasha

dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If we're going to impose standards on the questions people are allowed to ask , then let's also have a standard for people ANSWERING [or attempting to answer] questions !!

I'm *SO* sick of the standard stupid answers : "my dog is brown therefore all dogs are brown , you stupid retard !" when the question is "I have a suspected quadriped mammal that I'm trying to determine the color of" posting.

flame me if you will, but I say this forum is ment to help people trying to implement usefull applications of the firmware, and not to inflate the egos of those who are already currently leeching and exploiting utitlity from the firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:
If we're going to impose standards on the questions people are allowed to ask , then let's also have a standard for people ANSWERING [or attempting to answer] questions !!

If you had known the old forum, you would not be this concerned. There were a dozen doublicate threads, which all asked the same questions. It is even starting to occur here again.

The fact is that nobody searches! And the wiki seems to be unknown, too! I guess it is more convinient to register (1 min), open a new thread (maybe 3 mins) and drink a couple of beers (maybe 2 hrs). Then come back here, *bump* your thread, and have a couple more beers... Confused

BTW: i do not disagree with the beers in between... Wink
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: