WRG614L with DD-WRT and remote management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fusk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:42    Post subject: WRG614L with DD-WRT and remote management Reply with quote
I just have one question, because the only reason why i wanna change the firmware, is to increase the transmit power, read that dd-wrt adjusts it from 28mw to 70mw.

now, i'm not psysical near the router, so i'm doing it through remote management, but when i update the firmware, will dd-wrt have remote management enable by default, so i can reconnect to it afterwards, or do you have to be connected to it's wireless signal?

and as far as i know, you connect to dd-wrt like you normally would do.

192.168.1.1:8080

user: root

password: admin

thanks in advance
Sponsor
otkaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:32    Post subject: Re: WRG614L with DD-WRT and remote management Reply with quote
fusk wrote:
I just have one question, because the only reason why i wanna change the firmware, is to increase the transmit power, read that dd-wrt adjusts it from 28mw to 70mw.

now, i'm not psysical near the router, so i'm doing it through remote management, but when i update the firmware, will dd-wrt have remote management enable by default, so i can reconnect to it afterwards, or do you have to be connected to it's wireless signal?

and as far as i know, you connect to dd-wrt like you normally would do.

192.168.1.1:8080

user: root

password: admin

thanks in advance

none of the dd-wrt firmwares I have flashed had remote management on by default. What do you mean by remotely? Are you trying to do it from over the Internet? If so 192.168.1.1 is not your external ip and you will not connect to your router that way. If you on the wired network or even wifi on a router hard wired into the router you are flashing that is fine.
I wouldn't ever suggest flashing a router remotely (from the internet) or by wifi. Connect to the router via cable for flash when ever possible.
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
good point
fusk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
i know it's not the external ip, would be 87.116.x.x instead.
but yes, over the Internet, connecting to the router with cable is not an option, wireless could be possible, but remotely is preferred.

i see people talk about custom firmware and that sort, would it be possible for someone to create a firmware where the only difference is, that remote management is enabled as default?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would strongly advise you not to attempt this remotely through internet connection.

Even over wireless, I have semi-bricked my 614L unit.

A hard reset is a MUST with this unit so you need to have access to either a telnet window to reset the router (which will break any Internet connection possibilities) or be able to physically press that reset button.

This unit has Serial Flash chip...so it acts a bit different during the flash process. (I am still learning this unit too). I have on numerous occasions needed to use the Serial Console to initiate the tftp daemon manually to get this unit to flash the .chk file.

So...I suggest either you don't flash it with dd-wrt if your only option is internet connection....or physically pull the unit out of the network and manually flash it...then put it back in operation.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
being able to reset it, will be possible, there will be a person in the other end to do that after the flash is done.
i could upload the chk from the wireless connection, by remote a machine connected to the network.

all i want is to increase the mw on the unit, as far as i've been able to search around and found out that only dd-wrt does or can do that.

the unit is one day old, so everthing about tftp, serial console and that stuff, goes straight over my head.
fusk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there somewhere you can see the dd-wrt software layout, because i've never used it before, so if i'm going to update it, and then after the hard reset, i should be able to guide a person over the phone through enable remote management again.

i know that it's safer to update with a cable, but over the internet or wireless, should work just as good, it's the same data being sent, the only thing that could go wrong is if one of the connection drops out during the process, as far as i know.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its under Administration>>Management tab

Remote Access section.

You would access it then at

http://<ISP provided IP>:8080

or any other port you select.

I also have ssh management enabled...but you don't need to enable it to have this work.

redhawk

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.58 KB
 Viewed:  10179 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you.

i thought the openrouter thingie was quite smart when i read about it, but if you don't have the required knowledge it's not so smart after all, i'm just annoyed that i don't have that knowledge.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
fusk wrote:
thank you.

i thought the openrouter thingie was quite smart when i read about it, but if you don't have the required knowledge it's not so smart after all, i'm just annoyed that i don't have that knowledge.

Hang out here for awhile....you'll definitely gain knowledge.

I have no formal IT training...I've learned everything I know from this forum's members, the wiki, and searching the web.
I don't know everything (and never claimed to) but I feel I can provide practical information.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
true, i just need more patience. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: