WiFi radio failures in r8500 with V3.0 44715 std 11/03/20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 18:03    Post subject: WiFi radio failures in r8500 with V3.0 44715 std 11/03/20 Reply with quote
The three radios will not connect after removing the OEM firmware and installing 44715 std. While there is a SSID broadcast, attempts to connect are unsuccessful.

I have tried with wireless security disabled, as well as with a suitable passcode.

On the client side (Android phone) I see three apparent negotiations (connected), and the handshake is not completed.

On the device, I have a pink LED for power, the internet and the hardwire connection to a switch are flashing white. All three radio lights are white, and on solid.

The status shows transmit and receive errors, and essentially no traffic through the radio, and it shows the radios all on. Again, the release is 44715 std. The flash was uneventful, and all other aspects of the router under DD-WRT appear to work OK, with the exception of the speed test.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What should I be looking for.?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you set your channels? Do not use auto channel selection. The default wireless security settings are fine.

Only WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES) are checked. DD-WRT Wiki Tutorials --> Basic Wireless Settings

Broadcom SoC based Hardware --> New Build - 03/04/2021 - r45891
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Did you set your channels? Do not use auto channel selection. The default wireless security settings are fine.

Only WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES) are checked. DD-WRT Wiki Tutorials --> Basic Wireless Settings

Broadcom SoC based Hardware --> New Build - 03/04/2021 - r45891

Since I was trying for a quick start, I took all but one auto frequency selection default.

I disabled the 5gHz transmitters.

I assigned a channel for the 2.4gHz transmitter.

Still no joy. Open to additional suggestions.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
To confirm, wireless was functioning on stock firmware then right after upgrade to r44715 wireless failed?
FDM80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
There have been a few threads regarding how to deal with the R8500 wifi not working properly over the last few months. I'm going to assume that you are suffering from the same issue that many of us have had.

Builds for R8500 discussion
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326201

Netgear R8500 No WiFi Issue discussion
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325380

Original post with instruction to fix the wifi
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1169279

My repost of the fix with more clearly documented steps
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326323

One other option you can also think about doing, which you will have to decide for yourself if you want to run a firmware that is over a year old, is to search the internet for a Kong build of dd-wrt from June / July 2019. Those run great but are no longer developed so you don't get the latest patches anymore.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, you can try restore factory defaults in GUI to see if any behaviors change.

At this point I would go back to stock firmware and confirm functioning wireless.

While running factory stock firmware, the hold reset button for 7 to 10 seconds.

Avoid Chrome or Chromium-based browsers for now, especially web upgrades.

Pale Moon, Waterfox (3rd Gen 78 or Classic 56), Firefox ESR 78 Portable or Firefox ESR Legacy (68/52/45)
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
To confirm, wireless was functioning on stock firmware then right after upgrade to r44715 wireless failed?

I did not exhaustively test WiFi prior to installing DD-WRT, but I did verify that I could get data through the 2.4 and one 5 g radio.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R8500 stock factory firmware search results are here, but keep in mind sort by date is broken.

Do you know which version you had before the flash? 1.0.2.136 is current and 1.0.0.28 is initial relase.
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Well, you can try restore factory defaults in GUI to see if any behaviors change.

I did, with a difference...now there is no advertising of the SSID.

The status page says it is transmitting, without errors, which is different. Before it was erroring on transmit, and I could see the transmitter. Now the transmitter is not visible with another radio.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did we read the threads that FDM80 linked, or are we just doing trial and error here?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mongobird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did we read the threads that FDM80 linked, or are we just doing trial and error here?

I don't know about we, but I did. One which had a solution was a bad link, with the post apparently not available.

To update, I have a second r8500, which I tested the radio with the OEM FW installed. All three radios worked for substantial use.

Then I again installed dd-wrt, this time the 3/4/21 build. The radio performance under dd-wrt was the same. I did set to have the factory defaults reset.

I then tried a build from 6/11/2019, and it failed to work as well.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
FDM80's links assume the CFE is trashed, so let us not get ahead of ourselves. Maybe, but verify inoperable.

I suggested gui factory defaults as it is quick, easy and see threads saying do NOT nvram erase this router.

Not sure about hardware reset within dd-wrt either, so for now I only suggested if stock firmware is loaded.

Does either router keep saved settings after a reboot?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if this will help or if it was referenced in any of @FDM80's links off the top of my head, but.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1169279

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, has the Nitro QAM (QAM1024) support option disappeared from advanced wireless settings?
FDM80
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it is accurate to say the CFE is trashed. As an example, if you load an older build of dd-wrt I believe the wifi works fine. Same with Kong's builds. The wifi works just fine with those. For whatever reason, the newer builds don't seem to play nice unless you go through the steps to mess with the CFE.

To me, the quickest route to using dd-wrt and having the router work as you would expect is to flash a Kong build.

This is the last build Kong made for this router if you want to try.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1231017#1231017

P.S. The one link I posted that didn't seem to work for whatever reason fixed itself and works again as of a few minutes ago. Not sure why it wasn't working earlier.

Last edited by FDM80 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 15:36; edited 2 times in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: