Repeater Bridge mode - DHCP not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
hfelsh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, as expected, I did have to reset it to factory defaults. Laughing

BUT, here's the final word: DHCP works in 2.3 SP2. Exclamation

I DO get a DHCP address from my main router, but the MAC is still the MAC from the DD-WRT router, not the actual MAC of the PC. Mad

2.3 SP2 only has Client Bridge mode, not Repeater Bridge; however, I had previously tried to set 2.4 final to Client Bridge and still could not get a DHCP address. Also, I am unable to change the router to "router"; the only options available are Gateway, BGP, RIP2 Router, and OPSF Router. However, even in Gateway mode, it connects wirelessly to my main router and I get a DHCP address correctly.

Ergo, *something* dealing with DHCP is broken in 2.4 final. If it works in 2.3 SP2, and doesn't work in 2.4 final, what other conclusion could there be?
Sponsor
errold32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:35    Post subject: Sorry to change the subject Reply with quote
where is V24_micro_generic.bin located? i looked in http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24/Broadcom/Linksys

and didn't see it.

thanks
RcRaCk2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

what process adds the ip-address of the repeater-bridge into the giaddr Header-Field while forwarding DHCP-Discovery Messages?

When repeater-bridge is enabled, my DHCP-Server receive a dhcp-discovery message with "Relay-Agent IP-Address (giaddr)" field!

How can this be disabled? I like to run dhcp-fwd process instead.

Thanks,
Michael.
cocooningweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same problem and fixed it by connecting both routers with WEP only.

Any other encryption didn't work for me. The secondary router was connecting to the primary one but the traffic wasn't going through and all my computers connected to the secondary router were getting self assigned IPs.

Everything is working fine with WEP.
xxxstuffs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 0:22    Post subject: v24-sp1 DHCP is not assigned from the primary router Reply with quote
Router's Info:
- Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool std
- Wireless Mode: Repeater Bridge
- Primary Router's Wireless Security: WPA Personal - TKIP

I want to confirm that if you connect with these settings. The IP addresses on the secondary router, which is running DD-WRT cannot be assigned to the computers hooked to the secondary router.

I have not tried WEP for the Wireless Security yet. People are telling me DHCP is working fine with WEP but I have not got the time to try it.

If you have already tried it, please let me know your opinions.

Last edited by xxxstuffs on Tue Mar 24, 2009 0:43; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build you are running had known issues. See the peacock thread stickied near the top of the forum for recommendations & locations.

IMHO... You should start a new thread instead of bumping a 9 month old thread. However it does show you searched a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 21:08    Post subject: Successfully configured Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
I tried again to configure the Linksys WRT54GL. This time I find out the problem why I could not obtain the IP address assigned by the primary router's DHCP server.

The solution is "don't use the same WLAN Security for Physical Interface wl0 and Virtual Interface wl0.1."

Primary Router (Netgear WNR2000)
- Router's IP Address: 192.168.1.1
- Wireless name: TEST1
- Wireless Security: WEP 128-bit
- Wireless Passowrd: <your own password>
- DHCP Server: Enabled

Secondary Router (Repeater Bridge DD-WRT)

- Router's IP Address: 192.168.1.2
- Physical Wireless name: TEST1
- Wireless Security: WEP 128-bit
- Wireless Password: exactly same as Primary Router
- Virtual Wireless name: TEST2
- Wireless Security: WPA Personal
- Wireless Password: <your own password>
- Assign WAN port to switch: checked
- Security: disabled

Tested Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Re: Successfully configured Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
xxxstuffs wrote:
Tested Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool std

DO NOT USE V24 SP1
see peacock thread

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 21:45    Post subject: Re: Successfully configured Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
xxxstuffs wrote:
I tried again to configure the Linksys WRT54GL. This time I find out the problem why I could not obtain the IP address assigned by the primary router's DHCP server.

The solution is "don't use the same WLAN Security for Physical Interface wl0 and Virtual Interface wl0.1."

THE solution is actually in freonchill's post, above.

(Actually, there are two solutions...BOTH in his post above.)

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
xxxstuffs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:31    Post subject: Re: Successfully configured Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
freonchill wrote:
DO NOT USE V24 SP1
see peacock thread

Which firmware do you recommend?
I could not find peacock's thread. Why should I not use V24 SP1?
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look down.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
xxxstuffs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:50    Post subject: Which version is the best for wireless repeater? Reply with quote
After reading the notes of peacock, I get so confused. Which one do you think the best for wireless repeater? I have been trying version 23, ver23SP1, and ver23SP2. They do not have repeater bridge mode. They have Client Bridge mode only, and the primary router's signal is up and down in these versions, most of the time the repeater router could not see the primary router. Please give me recommendation on which version is the best for now.

Cheers
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59    Post subject: Re: Which version is the best for wireless repeater? Reply with quote
xxxstuffs wrote:
After reading the notes of peacock, I get so confused. Which one do you think the best for wireless repeater? I have been trying version 23, ver23SP1, and ver23SP2. They do not have repeater bridge mode. They have Client Bridge mode only, and the primary router's signal is up and down in these versions, most of the time the repeater router could not see the primary router. Please give me recommendation on which version is the best for now.

Cheers

Use 11296. I thought that thread made that pretty clear. It certainly doesn't recommend any v.23 builds.
ackray
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT54G-TM
dd-wrt.v24-11886_NEWD_mega

If you read my post you'll see that I was able to get this working. The only additional 'work' I had to do was to powercycle my modem.

Spend some time reading the recommended threads and bookmark the WIKI pages. I have printed off many of the Wiki how-to's in PDF format. This way when I am in the middle of a configuration and off-line I can read through the steps again and see what I missed.

To find the download for your router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

downloads

others

eko

v24_TNG

svn11886

Should bring you to the directory with the testing builds. Make sure you pick one that is appropriate for yout router. I'd recommend one of the Standard one. They will have a _std_ in the name.

good luck.

2x WRT54G
1x WRT54G2
2x WRT160NL
1x WHR-G125
yumagah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having a similar problem with v24 9517 mini VINT. Using this version because I found an old WRT54G ver 2.2 and the VINT build was recommended.

I did all the hard resets as recommended before flashing. I can setup the Client Bridge OK with WinXP systems, everything works as it should. But with Vista PC's I have to assign a static IP - DHCP won't work. (haven't tried disabling IP6 yet)

When I try to setup Repeater Bridge, DHCP won't work for any PC. Wired or wifi pc's can connect to the Bridge, but don't see the main router and can't get an IP assigned.

I'm using a salvaged WRT54G mainly to learn how all this works. So there's no urgency, but I'd like to find what the problem is.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: