Repeater Bridge mode - DHCP not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
ackray
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@yumagah

you might have to work through this a few times. I tried setting it up as a client first then client bridge and so on.

there was a DHCP bug in client bridge mode but i think that got sorted out.

try disabling IPv6, firewall and so on a step at a time to see where the vista bug might be.

Good luck!

2x WRT54G
1x WRT54G2
2x WRT160NL
1x WHR-G125
Sponsor
yumagah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated to build 11296 Standard to see if that was better. The flash went smoothly but the problems are the same as before. I even tried disabling IPv6 on the Vista PC - no difference, I still need to set a manual IP to connect in CLient Bridge. As before, Repeater Bridge does not connect for any PC.

It's possible that hardware problems could be involved here - the primary router is over 100 feet away, I need an external wifi adapter with add-on antenna to connect directly from my PC's. But the WRT54G connects just fine in Client Bridged mode, so I would think it has enough sensitivity/transmit power to cover the distance.
I'll keep messing with it, see what I can learn. I'm happy so far with the CB mode, since the distant connection is faster than my own, and I can feed it to an old hub I have.
yumagah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to connect to another wireless network with both XP and Vista systems, in Client Bridge and even Repeater Bridge mode. DHCP is working on the Vista system now. DD-WRT has turned a fifteen buck used router into a valuable multi-function device.

I could not re-test the network I first posted about, because an outdoor construction job is in progress, and a huge pile of sand is blocking that wireless route! It should be gone soon.

One of the problems might have been the number I assigned to the WRT54G, e.g. 192.168.0.2 while the primary router requires IP addresses to start with 192.168.0.100
xxxstuffs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:28    Post subject: Re: Which version is the best for wireless repeater? Reply with quote
LLB wrote:

Use 11296. I thought that thread made that pretty clear. It certainly doesn't recommend any v.23 builds.

Until now, I am happy with DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std - build 10011.

I am using Linksys WRT54GL with the above DD-WRT as Repeater Bridge to Linksys WAG54G2
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 13:22    Post subject: Re: Which version is the best for wireless repeater? Reply with quote
xxxstuffs wrote:
LLB wrote:

Use 11296. I thought that thread made that pretty clear. It certainly doesn't recommend any v.23 builds.

Until now, I am happy with DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool std - build 10011.

I am using Linksys WRT54GL with the above DD-WRT as Repeater Bridge to Linksys WAG54G2

SP1 has problems forwarding DHCP properly in bridged mode, while svn11296 does not have this problem. SP1 is inappropriate for a bridged router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
yumagah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still experimenting with Repeater Bridge mode.
I am wondering if hardware issues or interference may be a factor, but I can connect to network #2 but not network #1. Both of them are >100 feet away and require a high-gain antenna and/or high power USB wifi to connect directly from my pc's.

I flashed build 11296 (VINT std) on WRT54G v2.2. I am using it in Repeater Bridge mode, and it works flawlessly on Net #2:

Broadcasting router: D-LINK DIR-655 (ubicom)
Security: WEP 64

On Net #1, I can get Client Bridge mode to work with WinXP, but not Vista. Repeater Bridge never works.
Broadcasting router: D-Link DI-634M (ubicom)
Security: none

If the Ubicom chipset is the problem, why not on net #2? The DIR-655 does broadcast a stronger signal than most other routers. Maybe the WRT54G's chipset lacks the sensitivity connect to the weaker DI634?
Will keep experimenting with it.
xxxstuffs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:54    Post subject: My experiment with Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 Reply with quote
My Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 is running DD-WRT v24sp1 build 10011. The bridged router is running Repeater Bridge as Repeater and Client Bridge mode were not functioning properly in previous versions.

Following are the problems that I experienced:
1. Primary router and bridged router could not connect with the same wireless security mode.
2. Dropping packets when I wirelessly connected from my computer to the bridged router.
3. Unstable wireless connection due to long distance

Following are my solutions that I have done so far:
1. I use WEP for the primary router, and WPA Personal for the bridged router.
2. I connect one device with to wired LAN. Other computers still connect wirelessly to the bridged router. The problem seems to be solved so far for 6 months now.
3. I slowly increase the height of the stand of the bridged router up to the point it can receive most signals.

My router is currently working well. I have no complaints so far with this version of DD-WRT
yumagah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally got around to debugging the connection with the DI-634m router, and now it is working with Repeater Bridge mode! This is significant as the DI-634m uses Ubicom chipset which is considered problematic.

To get this working I had to tinker with all of these settings:

First of all, update HOST router to latest firmware!

IP address - some routers won't work with 192.168.0.30, others won't work with 192.168.0.2. Trial & error.

Security settings - must match

SSID - as the tutorial says, try both the same and different SSID string for Repeater Bridge.

Remember to reboot DD-WRT after each big change! Save a lot of frustration.

Under Status:Wireless, scan a few times and wait for the SSID to be found. Sometimes takes a while, don't know why. Once found, the connection is solid.
jimkaws
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 21:31    Post subject: DHCP repeater bridge problem Reply with quote
I have been using a ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 big build 15778 as repeater bridge (Netgear WGT624V4 as router, not dd-wrt) for a year with no problem, until recently.

Wireless and ethernet-corded units connected to the repeater bridge can not longer recieve internal ip or access the internet (dhcp does not work). The router does not have any problems.

I have tried to reset both repeater bridge and the router. I have waited a week for dhcp to work again.
I have tried the troubleshooting from here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
I am using identical WPA2-AES settings for encryption.
I did not tinker with any settings prior to the problem occured.

Suggestions?
Are the suggestions given in this thread outdated?
Necessary to upgrade to K26 and hope it helps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: