privateinternetaccess on a DIR615

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Manuel_D78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 18:43    Post subject: privateinternetaccess on a DIR615 Reply with quote
Hello

I am running a Dlink-DIR615 rev h
on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std - build 21061

This is connected to a D-Link DSL2741B running on default firmware. This modem/router provides the internet connection. It also send a WLAN

What I want is to have the DIR615 build a VPN connection and provide this connection on a second WLAN

Using http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
I have the internet running through to the DIR615
I can get service on LAN and WLAN

Now on to VPN

I use www.privateinternetaccess.com
using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ddwrt_pptp
I did set the VPN (see attachment), but my IP is still unchanged.

What step did I miss?

Thank you
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reason it’s not working as expected is because as configured, the VPN is just sitting there, dangling off your wireless AP with no instructions to any clients that might be interested that a) it exists, nor b) how to reach it.

First, you need to make sure the PPTP client on the WAP, once connected, is configured as the default gateway. Second, you need to make that WAP the default gateway for any clients you wish to force over the VPN.

Now how you change the default gateway of those clients varies. You could manually configure those clients and literally specify the LAN ip of the WAP instead of the LAN ip of the router. Or you could have the DHCP server return a different default gateway for certain clients. Or you could use policy based routing on the primary router. The last two options typically require a dd-wrt router.

Another option would be to configure the second router as a router, rather than a WAP. This would place it on its own network, w/ its own DHCP server, firewall, AP, etc. That would make configuration a bit easier since clients could be selected for use of the VPN by the choice of router.

IOW, there’s many ways to configure this depending on what best suits your needs. And all of them involve making the client see the VPN as their default gateway. That’s the key point.
Manuel_D78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:

Another option would be to configure the second router as a router, rather than a WAP. This would place it on its own network, w/ its own DHCP server, firewall, AP, etc. That would make configuration a bit easier since clients could be selected for use of the VPN by the choice of router.

That is what I want!
So I activate the DHCP again in Setup - Basic Setup and...?
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You just reset the router to factory defaults, but define a different network (e.g., if the primary is 192.168.1.x, perhaps use 192.168.2.x).
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
P.S. If you're using PPTP and configured as a router, you might as well configure PPTP over the WAN, rather than the LAN (via the Services tab). That will automatically reconfigure the default gateway of the router itself once the PPTP client is connected.
bugtracker555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having exactly the same problem!

I have reset the router and given it a new network (192.168.1.1, my other router/internet connection is on 192.168.0.1).

I have added all my PPTP settings under WAN setup (on the Basic Setup tab).

But under Status - WAN it shows as disconnected.

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: