Buffalo WHR-600D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
fedoracooper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 14:53    Post subject: Buffalo WHR-600D Reply with quote
I have ordered a new Buffalo WHR-600D router because I found one for $30 online. I have been trying to gather information on this device, as it appears to be pretty new. It looks like it is very similar to WHR-300HP2, but adds the 5GHz channel.

What's unique is that it uses a MediaTek processor, which appears to invalidate most of the generic instructions.

Relevant threads I found are:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=903794
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259729

I have a few questions:
- Is /others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/ the same as /beta/ ?

- What is the purpose of the buffalo_whr_****-webflash.bin files? How does it differ from firmware-us.bin?

- Is it better to use the minimum supported version, or the latest version?

I am also very interested to hear feedback from anyone with one of these new Buffalo routers; are there any bugs or limitations besides the 5GHz wireless bridge?
Sponsor
fedoracooper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 19:09    Post subject: European model has DD-WRT "professional" firmware Reply with quote
I just found the WHR-600D-EU model (the European model) on a different website:

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/network-devices/dual-band-n/routers/whr-600d-dual-band-airstationtm-wireless-router/

Interestingly, this site has a Downloads page with a DD-WRT "professional" firmware, though they say it's not fully supported. It is dated July 23, 2014. I wonder if this would be compatible with the US model?
fedoracooper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:33    Post subject: Good results with 23503 Reply with quote
I installed the minimum recommended version from the Supported Devices wiki page, build 23503, on my WHR-600D. I used the firmware-us.bin file.

No "kill" firmware is required. I did a 30/30/30 reset after the flash. I am using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless bands using WPA2 / AES security, and configured several Netmask Priority QOS rules.

QOS works very well, with the following comments:

- Manual Priority ends up at the same priority as Premium (prio 4), at least with the bandwidth settings I chose.
    - Default traffic gets the same priority as Express. This was surprising to me, so I created a Netmask Priority rule at the end of the list for my entire subnet, setting to Standard priority for all unclassified traffic.
    - The MAC Priority web UI does not work in the Opera browser, but works fine in Firefox.

Overall, it has been quite stable, with two android phones, an ipad, a laptop, two roku tv devices, and a desktop on the LAN. The only problems I've encountered seem to be from the web interface. The QOS screen is very picky, and you can't create more than one rule at a time without saving.

At some points, applying changes seemed to hang the router, or at least the web interface, for a period of a minute or two. Eventually it would start responding again, though I sometimes just rebooted the router. These issues seem to be related to applying changes, and once everything was setup, I have not had problems.

The QOS was my main motivation for getting a new wireless router with DD-WRT compatibility, and I am quite pleased with the results. I appreciate the various statistics when monitoring the LAN and WAN activity, and the bandwidth monitoring is pretty nice to have.
    lendbz
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Hey all and fedoracooper,

I am using build 23503 for my whr-600D US version, it's pretty stable Smile but I wonder, how is the Buffalo DD-WRT "professional" firmware version? Did you get your hands on it or have any inforamtion about it? I tried to download it but I need a european 600D serial number to have access to it...

let me know if you know a place I can get my hand on that firmware! Smile
    jwells1966
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29    Post subject: Webflash Image Reply with quote
    Guys did you just flash the us bin through the buffalo firmware interface? I thought you were supposed to install the webflash version first before you installed that or am I out to lunch. I would like to flash mine just want to be sure of method before I do, thanks for any help on this.
    Malachi
    DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Has anyone gotten the professional fw that requires the serial number?
    None of the Brainslayer builds work correctly for me. I can only enable wireless encryption for one band at a time, not both.

I can't revert to fw 1.50, so I thought I'd try their professional (dd-wrt) firmware.
    Unless anyone has figure out a way to revert to stock?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Hey! So Anyone has any success getting the buffallo dd-wrt professional firmware yet? Shocked

Also, what is the differences between firmware-us.bin and buffalo_whr_600d-webflash.bin that I downloaded?

Thanks!
    jwacalex
    DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Quote:
    Hey! So Anyone has any success getting the buffallo dd-wrt professional firmware yet?

i've downloaded the firmware from buffalo (after submitting my serial number) and it works so far.

Last edited by jwacalex on Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:51; edited 1 time in total
    Malachi
    DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
    Could you post it here of pm me it please?

Navigation

Jump to: