RT-N13U vB1, Flashed but now unable to update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:16    Post subject: RT-N13U vB1, Flashed but now unable to update Reply with quote
Hi,

I am new to flashing routers. I have done something to my router and now I can't get it working.

These are the steps I followed.
1.First I downloaded the appropriate .trx file.
2. Setup fixed IP for router i.e. 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0
3. Put the router in recovery mode, the power LED was flashing but the Firmware Recovery utility did not work, after 31 seconds it says Wireless router could not be found in recovery mode.
4. So I uploaded the dd-wrt .trx file using Web GUI, It got flashed. After reboot I got the dd-wrt Web-GUI.

As per the instructions, I tried to update the .bin file but nothing happens. (The upgrade was done using the wifi.) LAN was unable to connect.

The strange problem here is LAN does not get ip in range 192.168.1.x, if set to Automatic. IfIi set it manually, I am not able to connect using LAN. But If I use wifi, it works fine.

Please help me with problem. I am not able to restore the original firmware as well.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsor
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 0:54    Post subject: Re: RT-N13U vB1, Flashed but now unable to update Reply with quote
sureshmali wrote:

3. Put the router in recovery mode, the power LED was flashing but the Firmware Recovery utility did not work, after 31 seconds it says Wireless router could not be found in recovery mode.
4. So I uploaded the dd-wrt .trx file using Web GUI, It got flashed. After reboot I got the dd-wrt Web-GUI.

As per the instructions, I tried to update the .bin file but nothing happens. (The upgrade was done using the wifi.) LAN was unable to connect.

I can't stress this enough - you need to read the peacock thread and follow the instructions on this site. Flashing the firmware should only be done from a wired connection and any firewalls on your PC should be disabled. Also, try doing your webflash from IE.

My recommendation is to start over - use the Asus recovery tool and re-flash the firmware.
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 0:58    Post subject: Got it working, but now a different problem. Reply with quote
After a Hard reboot I got it working. I upgraded the latest firmware....Now a strange problem. I was able to connect the router using Wifi... I got the IP as 192.168.1.100, I had the web gui. But LAN was not working. The IP LAN gets is 168.XXX.XXX.XXX. Now if I assign manually the IP it wont work. So I decided to leave the router alone. Powered it down. Later now when I try to connect, Neither LAN nor Wifi works. It gets the strange IP in 168.XX pool. Tried a reset but no help. Tried to flash back the Stock Firmware but not able.

Please help. Crying or Very sad
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03    Post subject: Re: Got it working, but now a different problem. Reply with quote
sureshmali wrote:
Tried to flash back the Stock Firmware but not able.

What do you mean you were "not able"? What happens when you try? More details please.
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi: Thanks for your quick reply.

I put the router in recovery mode by Holding down the recovery button and powering up the router. released the button once the power LED starts flashing slowly.

Disabled firewall. Opened Asus Recovery tool, browsed for stock firmware. click upload button. it scans for 32 secs and says Wireless device not in recovery mode.

Tried using setting up IP to obtain auto as well as setting up
Static IP to 192.168.1.2,
Subnet 255.255.255.0,
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

But no help
jeff0000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
sureshmali wrote:
CTXSi: Thanks for your quick reply.

I put the router in recovery mode by Holding down the recovery button and powering up the router. released the button once the power LED starts flashing slowly.

Disabled firewall. Opened Asus Recovery tool, browsed for stock firmware. click upload button. it scans for 32 secs and says Wireless device not in recovery mode.

Tried using setting up IP to obtain auto as well as setting up
Static IP to 192.168.1.2,
Subnet 255.255.255.0,
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

But no help

I had that issue too, but it worked after I rebooted my computer. Also make sure to disable your wireless and any other network adapters so that their connections don't conflict.
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeff0000 wrote:

I had that issue too, but it worked after I rebooted my computer. Also make sure to disable your wireless and any other network adapters so that their connections don't conflict.

i just did a Computer Reboot and router reboot... , Also disabled all firewall and security Apps. still no help.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are there any other devices connected to the router, or does your PC have both wired and wireless capability? If so disconnect any other devices connected to the router and also disable all network adapters on your PC except for the wired one you are using to connect to the router. Then try the Asus tool.
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi wrote:
Are there any other devices connected to the router, or does your PC have both wired and wireless capability? If so disconnect any other devices connected to the router and also disable all network adapters on your PC except for the wired one you are using to connect to the router. Then try the Asus tool.

Tried as you suggested... nothing seems to be working... Is there any alternate method of flashing back to Stock firmware.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me make sure I understand. You can't get the Asus recovery tool to work, and when you try to access the router's IP (presumably 192.168.1.1) via a web browser you can't access the DD-WRT GUI. Correct?
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi wrote:
Let me make sure I understand. You can't get the Asus recovery tool to work, and when you try to access the router's IP (presumably 192.168.1.1) via a web browser you can't access the DD-WRT GUI. Correct?

That's right.

Probably because the IP assigned is not 192.168.1.XXX, rather its 168.XXX, If I try to set manually the IP to 192.168.1.2, and then try to ping 192.168.1.1 I get destination host 192.168.1.2 unreachable.

Let me know in case you need me to run some diagnosis, and put it out here.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried resetting the router to default? On most routers you can do a 30-30-30 reset but on the Asus I think its more like a 30-30-Reboot. That should completely clear the NVRAM and get you back to the default DD-WRT settings. Hopefully from there you can either upgrade DD-WRT or get the Asus tool to work. Beyond that I'm running out of ideas.
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi wrote:
Have you tried resetting the router to default? On most routers you can do a 30-30-30 reset but on the Asus I think its more like a 30-30-Reboot. That should completely clear the NVRAM and get you back to the default DD-WRT settings. Hopefully from there you can either upgrade DD-WRT or get the Asus tool to work. Beyond that I'm running out of ideas.

I tried that as well. 30-30-Reboot. Nothing works. Is there some way to put the router in recovery mode. Maybe the WPS setup button. I was searching for a solution, and I came across TFTP method to flash. I am not sure about it, also the tutorials are tricky to understand. Can you help me find some alternate method.

Regards,
Suresh
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:30    Post subject: got it working but died later Reply with quote
Today when I came back after work, plugged in the router, checked the IP it was working. Logged into dd-wrt home page, changed the default id and password.

Plugged in the WAN cable and the connection was gone. tried everything but could not it back to work. So leaving it for an hour or so. Lets what happens.

I am sure now that my router is not bricked, there surely has to be some other problem.
sureshmali
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:32    Post subject: Again the same problem Reply with quote
Tried again...also did a clean installation of windows, but no help.

I thought there would be some expert/developer willing to help. Please if any one knows how to get out of this mess, I would really appreciate any help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: